Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

RunDisney Star Wars Half Marathon Weekend...
Quote | Reply
I had never considered doing on of Disney's themed running events but put Star Wars in the mix and I am in! This was the inaugural year for the race and I have to say, Disney puts on a terrific event. I suppose that shouldn't be surprising as the theme parks are so well run, they are used to managing a lot of people. The weekend had a 5k, 10k, half, and kids run. It wasn't cheap, I think like $200 for the half and doesn't include admission to the park (Disneyland and California Adventure) and these races sell out faster then an Ironman, but my wife and I felt it was well worth the cost. Highly recommend not only this event but I'm sure their other races are just as well put on.

And no, I didn't run in Stormtrooper armor but plenty of guys did!

-Of course it's 'effing hard, it's IRONMAN!
Team ZOOT
ZOOT, QR, Garmin, HED Wheels, Zealios, FormSwim, Precision Hydration, Rudy Project
Quote Reply
Re: RunDisney Star Wars Half Marathon Weekend... [Bryancd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I did the Disney World Marathon 2 weeks ago in FL and I second your thoughts. They did a great job and we had a ton of fun. The whole experience was great.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
+1 on Star Wars.
They were my first Disney races - but the best race production and experience I have ever had, and I can now understand why these things have such a strong following despite the price.

They did a really good job of making everything feel like Star Wars.
And easily the most epic start line and finishing areas, ever.

I think it sold out in 20 minutes.
I'm definitely interested in racing again with Disney after doing that one.

-edit - I'd also like to add, the coolest finisher medal ever, if you're a star wars fan.
Last edited by: Sim: Jan 23, 15 10:49
Quote Reply
Re: RunDisney Star Wars Half Marathon Weekend... [Sim] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I really wanted to do the Rebel Challenge but we had to alternate taking care of our 22 month old son who did the 100m kids run, hits first race!

Team ZOOT
ZOOT, QR, Garmin, HED Wheels, Zealios, FormSwim, Precision Hydration, Rudy Project
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This was my second Disney race (did the Princess at DW a couple years ago), and a ton of fun. Being a nerd I signed up almost immediately when it opened. I ran the 10k & half, although I couldn't do the official Rebel Challenge (it had sold out, but you could still register for the races individually). It worked well, ran/walked the 10k on Saturday with my partner at a super easy pace, then ran the half hard the next day. Disney does put on a great show, all the characters on the course, video boards at the start, medals, etc.

Here are a couple pictures, we had too much fun coming up with costumes. Yoda actually didn't slow me down too much, still ran a decent 1:33 in the half.
- Glenda

And our perfect two person costume:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
come onnnnn, seriously!? no PICS!!!!????

36 kona qualifiers 2006-'23 - 3 Kona Podiums - 4 OA IM AG wins - 5 IM AG wins - 18 70.3 AG wins
I ka nana no a 'ike -- by observing, one learns | Kulia i ka nu'u -- strive for excellence
Garmin Glycogen Use App | Garmin Fat Use App
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Very well run event with a few quibbles.

Parking day of was super easy using the giant Mickey and Friends lot. Lots of portaguys and washing areas. Corrals were well separated and there wasn't a lot of slower folks mixed in with the fater. The use of Star Wars sounds and characters was pretty cool.

The issues...
All the race merch was raided by eBay vultures first and early second day of packet pickup. Because I live and work in LA I dint get there till Saturday and there wasn't anything left of race merch save a few hats.

Race started at 5:30am. Ouch. Had to be up at 3am to get down there, though could have gone 30min later as traffic was super easy.

Because of the time of morning there were a lot of real dark and tight turns inside the backlot. It really got narrow in some places, but once mile 4 hit we were dumped outside the park and rest of the race was on the Anaheim and garden grove streets.

Finally, post race food. Got and water, powerade, banana and a sealed pre packaged box with snacks. That was promptly given to the first homeless person I saw.

Overall, fun race, unique being Star Wars themed but not enough to entice me to do it in 2016.
Quote Reply
Re: RunDisney Star Wars Half Marathon Weekend... [waupaca11] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
waupaca11 wrote:
Very well run event with a few quibbles.

Parking day of was super easy using the giant Mickey and Friends lot. Lots of portaguys and washing areas. Corrals were well separated and there wasn't a lot of slower folks mixed in with the fater. The use of Star Wars sounds and characters was pretty cool.

The issues...
All the race merch was raided by eBay vultures first and early second day of packet pickup. Because I live and work in LA I dint get there till Saturday and there wasn't anything left of race merch save a few hats.

Race started at 5:30am. Ouch. Had to be up at 3am to get down there, though could have gone 30min later as traffic was super easy.

Because of the time of morning there were a lot of real dark and tight turns inside the backlot. It really got narrow in some places, but once mile 4 hit we were dumped outside the park and rest of the race was on the Anaheim and garden grove streets.

Finally, post race food. Got and water, powerade, banana and a sealed pre packaged box with snacks. That was promptly given to the first homeless person I saw.

Overall, fun race, unique being Star Wars themed but not enough to entice me to do it in 2016.

That's fair criticism. 5:30 am start is really early. It was a little tough running through the two parks in the dark sometimes.And 7 miles of running through Anaheim isn't exactly my idea of scenic. But it was pitch black and the 501st costuming group at mile 7 or 8 was awesome. Considering the hour in the am, they rallied a decent amount of support out there.Post race food was nothing but its a half, I don't really expect a buffet.

Team ZOOT
Quote Reply
Re: RunDisney Star Wars Half Marathon Weekend... [MarkyV] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MarkyV wrote:
come onnnnn, seriously!? no PICS!!!!????

The race pics from the event just got posted. My wife was back in the hotel watching our son!

100M kids run with my son..

At the start line....

Medals...

Team ZOOT
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Here's a couple pics of the Rebel Challenge medal - the center piece spins around to show either Vader or Yoda. The strap is also Yoda-themed on one side and Vader themed on the other ... very cool if you're a fan.

Here's a pic of the line to buy official merchandise from Thursday morning. There was another equally large waiting area in an upstairs ballroom, and still another 20 or 30 meters to go from where I was standing. The race expo is in the background. Lots of stuff available when I got in, but I imagine it got sold out in short order.

Here's a pic of the stage in the finishing area. Cool band dressed as Jedi and a big screen to watch the finish line action.

I personally didn't mind the 5:30 start. Good temperatures and it left the day open to do more stuff.
The Anaheim streets were livened up by tons of local school bands performing starwars and other contemporary music .... and tons of spectators on the side of the road dressed up in sick costumes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm also a big fan of RunDisney! Living near Orlando, we have lots of opportunities to do the Disney events. Having worked with Disney Sports on our IM 70.3 Florida race in the past, I've worked with a number of their event staff people. They do a fantastic job of putting on World-Class events. My wife and daughter just did the Dopey Challenge at WDW for their second time. I volunteer at the events so I can watch them finish. If you have the chance, take the family to the parks and enter one of their races. You will have a wonderful time! Z
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Had a great time...didn't take a lot of pictures or dress in costume, was more concerned about making the time cutoffs. Most of the Disney races in CA run through Anaheim Stadium area and Santa Ana River area (making for an even more narrow run area than some of the backstage areas at D-land). I think there was one very specific, and somewhat Star Wars related reason for the run to go into Garden Grove---- Newhope Street, we crossed it at one point on the course, and some figured out the connection (Episode 4- A New Hope). The 501st was awesome. Packet picket up and expo on Thursday afternoon there were no lines, picked up all the merchandise I wanted, and then some, the hat and t-shirt I bought ended up being sold out later in the weekend. I think I will be signing up again for next year's race...after all, I don't have any travel/hotel expenses for this race, just wish they would give a discount to Anaheim residents.

check out my blog http://theswimmingtriathlete.com
Quote Reply