Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Rugged Android smartphone
Quote | Reply
I did a forward roll after catching a toe while running down a mountain and cracked the screen on my expensive Google Pixel phone.

I'm after a replacement and looking for something better suited to general outdoor abuse (running and cycling), while still offering small but decent display for mapping, you tube etc.

Any recommendations?
Quote Reply
Re: Rugged Android smartphone [chief10] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Did you have a case on it?
I've had 3 Pixels going back to their first release. Dropped them, crashed with them etc never an issue. My dad who insists on never using a bumper case....well his have always ended up cracked.

I think it's more about the case than the phone. The ultimate would be an otter box type case or something along those lines. Of course that adds some size and heft.

Hope that helps

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Re: Rugged Android smartphone [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
desert dude wrote:
I've had 3 Pixels going back to their first release. Dropped them, crashed with them etc never an issue. My dad who insists on never using a bumper case....well his have always ended up cracked.

I think it's more about the case than the phone. The ultimate would be an otter box type case or something along those lines. Of course that adds some size and heft.

Hope that helps

Fair question and comment. I had it in a plastic bag in the back pocket of my tri suit, no case. Entirely stupid of me and I get that no phone is going to survive that impact without protection of a case (it was a race requirement to carry phone, shoved it in in T1 - should have moved to backpack in T2).

Pixel is a decent phone, waterproof and great battery life, so might just look for a decent case.

Just wondered if there was anything out there, maybe slightly smaller that people had used and would recommend.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
chief10 wrote:
desert dude wrote:

Hope that helps

Fair question and comment. I had it in a plastic bag in the back pocket of my tri suit, no case. Entirely stupid of me and I get that no phone is going to survive that impact without protection of a case (it was a race requirement to carry phone, shoved it in in T1 - should have moved to backpack in T2).

Pixel is a decent phone, waterproof and great battery life, so might just look for a decent case.

Just wondered if there was anything out there, maybe slightly smaller that people had used and would recommend.

Case with a screen protector. The screen protector can absorb the impact and spiderweb wile sparing the phone's glass.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You could get a burner type / flip phone w/ a prepaid sim card for races.

Keep the Pixel for real life and the who cares if it gets damaged phone for these type races

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
UAG cases.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Maybe put the next one into an OtterBox case when out doing stuff likely to result in breakage? They're a bit clunky, but robust.

(For the phone itself, I've no experience with Pixel. Last 3 phones have been Samsung Galaxys. A5, S10, and now S23. Went that way as they were / are all waterproof. A non-waterproof phone in this day and age is a non-starter for me.
(My daughter now sees why I'm right after her non-waterproof iPhone dropped out of her pocket into the toilet. Pow. Dead. That was an expensive day.)
Quote Reply