Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Rowing
Quote | Reply
Who rows as an extra workout? Water or erg? Anyone?

"The person on top of the mountain didn't fall there." - unkown

also rule 5
Quote Reply
Re: Rowing [boobooaboo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't know about extra workouts, but there are a lot of ex-rowers turn triathletes here.

Fantastic sport. I really miss it, yet have no desire to hop on an erg any time soon ;-).

Long Chile was a silly place.
Quote Reply
Re: Rowing [BCtriguy1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There's always the example of Joanne Ritchie using erging as cross-training and winning CRASH-Bs, but it seems to go more the other way.

From the Australian side, I can think of two very good rowers-turned triathlete, Cam Wurf and Mitch Anderson, and there are a few about. Lightweights seem to transition better. At the best part of 220, I haven't transitioned well, but I love it, and as you mentioned, can't be bothered getting back on an ergo unless it's an erg test.

Due to workplace bullying (or one-upmanship) every employee of our rowing club is doing a 2k test with the new triallists on the first day.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Used to row, have an erg in my man cave, haven't been on the water in years though will do at some point.

I don't use the erg when training for multisport events, don't see the point as I'll get more benefit from the specificity, and it's hard enough juggling 2-3 sports plus a bit of lifting/stretching already. I do use it a fair bit when I'm just training for general fitness and have no events coming up.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
boobooaboo wrote:
If by "extra workout" you mean race a 1x or 2x or on rare occasions a 4x...... I do.
I'll drop a few bike workouts, and instead row my 1x, or a 2x w/ my wife, etc.
The closer to race day, the more I row.

But erging... no way.
No more 2k/6k erg testing. Ever.
I'd sooner do a 20' test on the bike trainer, than a 6k erg for the same duration.

no sponsors | no races | nothing to see here
Last edited by: philly1x: Aug 14, 17 3:31
Quote Reply
Re: Rowing [philly1x] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
philly1x wrote:
boobooaboo wrote:

If by "extra workout" you mean race a 1x or 2x or on rare occasions a 4x...... I do.
I'll drop a few bike workouts, and instead row my 1x, or a 2x w/ my wife, etc.
The closer to race day, the more I row.

But erging... no way.
No more 2k/6k erg testing. Ever.
I'd sooner do a 20' test on the bike trainer, than a 6k erg for the same duration.

Was thinking the other day I need to get my sculling boat back in the water. Nothing more fun than sculling before the sun comes up, the lake is like a mirror, and mist is rising from the lake. And yep, amazing workout. I just need to learn how to do it properly so it does not nail my back

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Re: Rowing [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My sculling boat is 20,000km away and on indefinite loan to another rowing club.
I've spent too much time in a single to want to get in and go for a paddle, or even take the few rows it takes to not feel like a total and utter spanner again.

1 row in the skiff last year after a few years out and in big boats. It was utterly, totally miserable. Worse than not swimming in years.
Quote Reply
Re: Rowing [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
seems like a good tri-training compliment when you get burnt out on SBR.

"The person on top of the mountain didn't fall there." - unkown

also rule 5
Quote Reply
Re: Rowing [BCtriguy1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I bought a water rower a month ago. When I finish a workout I will just on it for 2k to 5k just for an enhancement to my workout. This fall / winter I will spend a little more time on it before I start getting ready for Ironman. I have read a few "reports" stating that it can help your swimming along with the normal cardio, core, etc. benefits of rowing. We will see if there is any transferable benefit but it does kick my butt.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not a rower here but kayak sprint athlete. Currently paddling as I am recovering and nursing torn hip labrum and sports hernia, no surgery for either. As described above, misty morning on glassy water in quite setting are priceless. It seems to rejuvenate my mind and body. Was mentally going nuts, been 8 months since 2016 IMAZ that I have not been able to train. Two months ago, sold my powermeter, race wheels and few other things, bought Epic K1 Legacy L, roof rack and Epic paddle. On the water now 6 days a week and started crossfit today. Will use the two nurse myself back to swim and run first, than will assess bike down the road.
Quote Reply