Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Ron Hill - running every day for 50 years
Quote | Reply
There was a piece on the BBC website today about Ron Hill. Yesterday he completed a parkrun which brought him up to having run at least a mile a day every day for fifty years. Amazing achievement, and a great way to crown it at a parkrun.
Quote Reply
Re: Ron Hill - running every day for 50 years [Greg66] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
And some folks push them selves to do 100 runs in 100 days once a year.

This is a man with commitment.

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Holy crap, I remember when the streak hit 20 years. I forgot all about him, now it's 50 years!

---------------------------
''Sweeney - you can both crush your AG *and* cruise in dead last!! đŸ˜‚ '' Murphy's Law
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you have a chance read his autobiography. It's a slightly commented training log. And there is little doubt that his career would have been much better if he had taken days off, eased off when injured, not running in a hospital ward post op. Amazing nonetheless, but not necessarily admirable.

Francois-Xavier Li @FrancoisLi
"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." George Bernard Shaw
http://www.swimrunfrance.fr
http://www.worldofswimrun.com
Quote Reply
Re: Ron Hill - running every day for 50 years [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
h2ofun wrote:

Commitment, yes. But also enslavement.
Quote Reply
Re: Ron Hill - running every day for 50 years [nickwhite] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
nickwhite wrote:
h2ofun wrote:

Commitment, yes. But also enslavement.

Boy do I understand. Everyday I train I have to admit, I feel I have to rather than always wanting to. :o(

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In the early 90's I was trying to run under 2hr 35min for the marathon and wrote a letter to him asking for advice as I felt like I was stuck in the mid .2.40's
He wrote back with great advice and I still have his letter . As an ex-Pat and from the North of England close to where he lives he is admired greatly , for his forward thinking in marathon training and his 2.09 in Boston as well as winning the National X country championship .
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Now he has completed his base building, he can move on to adding a little speed work....
Quote Reply
Re: Ron Hill - running every day for 50 years [bazilbrush] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
But if the runs weren't 30 minutes or longer, they don't count..... ;)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Greg66 wrote:
There was a piece on the BBC website today about Ron Hill. Yesterday he completed a parkrun which brought him up to having run at least a mile a day every day for fifty years. Amazing achievement, and a great way to crown it at a parkrun.

I kind of hate to bring this up but about 20 or so yrs ago there was an article in Runners World and/or Running Times about how he had been in a car accident and had been sighting crutching himself around a track to get his mile in every day. The author said he admired his spunk but that crutching was not running and hence his streak was over. I guess somehow this was overlooked but, if crutching or walking at least a mile every day counts, then prob several more people might fit in the 50-yr streak category:)

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply
Re: Ron Hill - running every day for 50 years [ericmulk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ericmulk wrote:
Greg66 wrote:

I kind of hate to bring this up but about 20 or so yrs ago there was an article in Runners World and/or Running Times about how he had been in a car accident and had been sighting crutching himself around a track to get his mile in every day. The author said he admired his spunk but that crutching was not running and hence his streak was over. I guess somehow this was overlooked but, if crutching or walking at least a mile every day counts, then prob several more people might fit in the 50-yr streak category:)

The North American Streakers organization (yes there is one), does not count his streak as valid due to the "Crutches Phase". One must run un assisted a minimum of one mile a day. Hopping around on one foot whilst using crutches does not qualify.

Sorry to burst the bubble.
Quote Reply
Re: Ron Hill - running every day for 50 years [pdxjohn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
pdxjohn wrote:
ericmulk wrote:
Greg66 wrote:

The North American Streakers organization (yes there is one), does not count his streak as valid due to the "Crutches Phase". One must run unassisted a minimum of one mile a day. Hopping around on one foot whilst using crutches does not qualify.

Sorry to burst the bubble.

Ah yes, the old streakers org, i have been to their web site in the past, how could i have forgotten??? Actually, i was just to lazy to research and figured someone else, like you, would know this off the top of your head. I guess the locals in the UK never got the word but, if i were Ron Hill, i'd feel a little guilty celebrating when really the streak was/is not valid. Thanks for backing me up here:)

Quote Reply
Re: Ron Hill - running every day for 50 years [ericmulk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wow, I guess I take my comment back. For a person who this quality, surprised he lowered himself to allow this to happen. I guess some folks
get caught up in the emotion. Still pretty amazing but when one has not been honest, well, ...

I probably have moved more than a mile each day for my 57 years so can I say I have a 57 year running streak? Walking is just slow running. :o)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not sure it's fair to accuse him of dishonesty, as far as I know he's never been anything but open about the times when he was on crutches. It's the way it's been reported that is the issue, and not sure if he would have much influence over that.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Does he have a cake yet? ; )
Quote Reply
Re: Ron Hill - running every day for 50 years [sward] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Could you share the types of advice that he gave you? Was it run more frequently?
Quote Reply
Re: Ron Hill - running every day for 50 years [cartsman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cartsman wrote:
Not sure it's fair to accuse him of dishonesty, as far as I know he's never been anything but open about the times when he was on crutches. It's the way it's been reported that is the issue, and not sure if he would have much influence over that.

Guess I would need to see if he was quoted as saying he has run 1 mile for 50 years or not. What is the link to the article.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
h2ofun wrote:
cartsman wrote:

Guess I would need to see if he was quoted as saying he has run 1 mile for 50 years or not. What is the link to the article.

I'm not accusing RH of being dishonest, just pointing out classic media hype and over reaching when the facts do not support his streak. I could not be happier for RH, I still hold him in up as one of the all time great runners and ambassadors of the sport. But, the 50 year running streak was broken pure and simple.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The guy was out there on crutches to keep his streak alive. I give him all the credit in the world for perseverance or dedication or obsession or whatever you call it. He went out on crutches and did a mile because he was that obsessed...........

Kudos to him for demonstrating what consistency is all about and a life time of sticking to a plan. Official record or not, it is pretty damn amazing in my book.

----------------------------
Jason
None of the secrets of success will work unless you do.
Quote Reply
Re: Ron Hill - running every day for 50 years [wannabefaster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
wannabefaster wrote:
The guy was out there on crutches to keep his streak alive. I give him all the credit in the world for perseverance or dedication or obsession or whatever you call it. He went out on crutches and did a mile because he was that obsessed...........

Kudos to him for demonstrating what consistency is all about and a life time of sticking to a plan. Official record or not, it is pretty damn amazing in my book.

I agree but I want to read what the article stated. This could be kinda like someone drafted to break a rule, but you say, but he was still riding the bike.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
cartsman wrote:

I'm not going to say anything. The guy could probably still beat me using his crutches.

Mark
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
h2ofun wrote:

I agree but I want to read what the article stated. This could be kinda like someone drafted to break a rule, but you say, but he was still riding the bike.

Article here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/...-manchester-30556306

Article doesn't mention that he did some of his runs on crutches. For me that's almost more impressive though, when I've had trauma injuries in the past I've sat around feeling sorry for myself and sleeping a load for a few days until things start to ease up. The thought of doing a mile on crutches the day after breaking my sternum in a car crash really doesn't appeal. From his Wikipedia entry:

Quote:
His streak includes workouts after a car crash in 1993 when Hill broke his sternum, and after bunion surgery, after which he used a crutch to cover one mile (1.6 km) in 27 minutes the next day
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
cartsman wrote:
h2ofun wrote:

Article here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/...-manchester-30556306

Article doesn't mention that he did some of his runs on crutches. For me that's almost more impressive though, when I've had trauma injuries in the past I've sat around feeling sorry for myself and sleeping a load for a few days until things start to ease up. The thought of doing a mile on crutches the day after breaking my sternum in a car crash really doesn't appeal. From his Wikipedia entry:

Quote:
His streak includes workouts after a car crash in 1993 when Hill broke his sternum, and after bunion surgery, after which he used a crutch to cover one mile (1.6 km) in 27 minutes the next day

Thanks. But is seem the first sentence is factually not true "Former Olympian Ron Hill has completed his ambitious goal of running at least a mile a day for 50 years."

Oh well, lets not let facts get in the way, unless you are the next guy who has what they say is the longest real run streak.

Quote Reply
Re: Ron Hill - running every day for 50 years [pdxjohn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So whats exactly is "unassisted"? Do you not count races, since techinally you are being assisted by volunteers, ect. is there a set pace too that defines running? Im finishing up my first year, but i have run with my dog....is that "assistance" since she pulls me sometimes? Celebrate the man and the accomplishment. I say his record means more due to the fact he had to go out seriously injured.

Way to go Ron Hill!

http://www.TriScottsdale.org
Quote Reply
Re: Ron Hill - running every day for 50 years [Sbernardi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sbernardi wrote:
So whats exactly is "unassisted"? Do you not count races, since techinally you are being assisted by volunteers, ect. is there a set pace too that defines running? Im finishing up my first year, but i have run with my dog....is that "assistance" since she pulls me sometimes? Celebrate the man and the accomplishment. I say his record means more due to the fact he had to go out seriously injured.
Way to go Ron Hill!

Acc to Wiki, Hill has run about 160,000 miles over the past 50 yrs, which is 3200 mi/yr, 61.3 mi/wk, 8.76 mi/day. IOW, this guy has averaged almost 9 mi/day over 50 straight years!!! Forget the 1 mi/day every day stuff, to average almost 9 mi/day every day for 50 yrs is way more impressive IMO. Even if you were to take out whatever miles are questionable, he's prob still around 8.6 or 8.7 mi/day. My legs hurt just thinking about it.

Quote Reply