Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Rollover Hawaii entry
Quote | Reply
A friend of mine broke his collarbone yesterday and will not be able to start Hawaii next month. He has been trying to qualify for about 15 years and finally did it last year. He is 60 and has spent $40,000 to fly the entire family over to see what was to be his last race, including tickets for everyone to the carbo loading and awards dinners. Is there any chance the organisers will roll his entry to next years race ? Who is the best person to write to ? He has still wasted the $40k and will go ahead with the trip but it would be a shame to see him miss his dream. It is hard sometimes for these old fellas to qualify again as they don't get many spots in that age group, he came 3rd in NZ one year and still didn't get one. He has been training all winter through our crappy weather, came off his bike yesterday on some slippery train lines in the rain.
Quote Reply
Re: Rollover Hawaii entry [Blacky] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
good freakin luck.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Re: Rollover Hawaii entry [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How about the person who paid 75K for a ticket. Wonder if they wouldgive him an extension if he got hurt?

I know I ate a lot of money when I broke my collar bone last season. I do not pay for races ahead of time unless I know they sell out.

Dave

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Breast stroke the swim...do the race!
Quote Reply
Re: Rollover Hawaii entry [KJGrog] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No way, I could not use my shoulder to even brush my teeth for a month!

Dave

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Quote Reply
Re: Rollover Hawaii entry [KJGrog] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
 Breast stroke the swim...do the race!

can't advise on medical feasability but that has NBC special interest story written all over it!!!
Quote Reply
Re: Rollover Hawaii entry [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would not have as much sympathy for someone who bought their spot off ebay.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I agree, but his dream may be no different.

Dave

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bummer deal! But a poster of two here have been injured and went over not knowing if they would be able to race until the morning of.

>> It is hard sometimes for these old fellas to qualify again as they don't get many spots in that age group,<<

Welcome to the world of many of the women's AGs!

clm

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
yick....bad breath....

I shall never misuse Rex Kwon Do
I shall be a champion of freedom and justice
Quote Reply
Re: Rollover Hawaii entry [Bladed] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't see the problem here. An hour of pain is worth 40K and an experience for a lifetime. Do the friggin swim. It's not like the shoulder's gonna come off. Still 3 weeks out right. It should heal in time. If he can afford 40k to fly his family out, I am sure he can afford someone to help him tape the shoulder up, so he can do the race. Besides he's 60 right? Not like he's gonna work forever either. Eat the pain. Do the race.
Quote Reply
Re: Rollover Hawaii entry [Dudley] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thats what i'm talking about.......no pain no gain......walk it off...

I shall never misuse Rex Kwon Do
I shall be a champion of freedom and justice
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
When I broke my collarbone a while ago I was given the choice of either letting it heal naturally in a sling or having it pinned/bolted. I went the 'heal naturally' route but was told that having it pinned meant I could use my arm straight away. I suppose you could have it pinned and then side-stroke the swim as a last resort. I'm not saying I would do that, I'm just throwing it out there......

------------------------------------------------------------
Searching for the bliss of ultimate exertion.
Last edited by: callidus: Sep 21, 05 3:52
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was swimming after a month after mine last November (2 weeks after Hawaii) but that doesn't mean it healed the best it probably could of. My advise to him...ride the trainer without arms till the race, take as much time as he wants on the swim, and then just finish.

A broken collarbone isn't the end of his season. That is a myth.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As an older female age grouper, if I had to have my whole body taped, I'd still show up and give it a TRI.Yes, we're all just a little crazy anyway so no one at the starting line will be bothered by the site of duck tape.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I agree with the other posters. Make the trip and do the entire swim one arm crawl if he has to. The broken collarbone has a way of becoming reasonalby functional quite quickly. It just takes forever for it to be 100% again.

Go for it.
Quote Reply
Re: Rollover Hawaii entry [devashish paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hardcore! You guys have watched "Terminator" one time too many.

Remind me never to get in a fight with y'all though. Even if I get you in a head lock, you'll insist on a fight to the finish.

-----------------------------------------------------
Quote Reply