Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Rollers and tri bike
Quote | Reply
Is this feasable? Does anyone have experience with indoor training on rollers and a TT bike. I like the premise of rollers improving form as well as fitness, but only see riders on road bikes in any advertisements or online videos.

Twitter: @blues2play
Quote Reply
Re: Rollers and tri bike [ajessup] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I spent all last winter on my tri bike and Cycleops Rollers w/ mag resistance. Unless you're putting down a ton of power, the roller will have plenty of resistance for you. Don't get me wrong, you won't sprint on them, hell, if you get off of the seat you're going off the rollers. For any kind of steady power training, even high intensity/150 FTP intervals they worked well for me once I figure them out. It really only took 3-4 rides to find my balance on them.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I used to ride mine with my P2. I prefer my road bike on them simply because being on the bars isn't as stable most of the time as on the hoods. but it is doable and rollers are great. Make sure you note what diameter you buy bc the varying sizes greatly affect resistance.
Quote Reply
Re: Rollers and tri bike [ronniewo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks. I have fears of providing my children with gratuitous entertainment due to my ineptness as I try to master them. I have both a roadie and tri bike, but power meter is on the tri bike. Would like to take my sufferfest video training over to the rollers. Anyone with experience with the Tacx Galaxia rollers? I have not bought them yet, but the conical drums and "swing system" seem interesting to me.

Quote Reply
Re: Rollers and tri bike [OakCliffTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
OakCliffTri wrote:
Make sure you note what diameter you buy bc the varying sizes greatly affect resistance.

Could you explain this?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How much does cycling experience make a difference as to how long it may take to find the balance on rollers? I've only been on my road bike for about 4 months and have been thinking of getting a set for winter training (along with the "std" trainer I have).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you use trainerroad, you can use their "virtual power" w/ your road bike. After a couple of rides w/ your PM, you'll probably get a good idea how accurate it is. I have no idea about accuracy (no PM for me), but it is consistant since it's based off of mph.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have spent hundreds of hours on rollers. I was always primarily a MTB racer so my handling skills are fairly good. I can stand up on rollers, I can also ride with no hands. But for some reason I was never comfortable on my tri bike in the aero bars. Not sure why, but I did not practice this and have less then 2-3 hours riding rollers like that and in those few hours I decided I did not like it.

Might be because I rode road bike in winter and only brought out the tri bike in the spring on the roads.

All this is to say I didn't do it, but it think it can be done.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's doable but by no means easy. If you're considering going down this path, get a set of cycleops rollers with magnetic resistance and then get the fork stand. When you start off do your z3+ workouts with the fork stand and do recovery rides the following day without the fork stand just focusing on balance.

I started out with my rollers in a narrow gap between my bed and the wall :p
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ajessup wrote:
OakCliffTri wrote:
Make sure you note what diameter you buy bc the varying sizes greatly affect resistance.

Could you explain this?

as the diameter of the drum (things your wheels turn on) gets smaller the resistance increases. Has something to do with bearing and tire friction. If you have a 2.25" drum (which is small and what pro teams typically use) your level of exertion is going to be much greater than if you have a 4" diameter. I rode 3 or 4" in college and I loved them. I had 2.25" kreitler rollers a few years ago and while great, I didn't get as long of workouts in as I wanted because the resistance was extreme.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Larger drum rollers spin easier than smaller drums. For example, the Kreitler 2.25 rollers produce a good amount of tension even without a fan.

As for the tri-bike on roller question, it is harder than a road bike, but doable. Getting into the aerobars is a bit sketchy. Once you are there keep the pedal stroke smooth and enjoy.

http://www.speedtheory.ca
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ajessup wrote:
Is this feasable? Does anyone have experience with indoor training on rollers and a TT bike. I like the premise of rollers improving form as well as fitness, but only see riders on road bikes in any advertisements or online videos.

Once you spend an hour or so on them it's not an issue.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Emotion rollers + P3= 100 "miles" aero!

Took a bit to get used to but now it is second nature.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes I ride them too with my tribike. At work and home. Funny both families bet and hope I fall for their entertainment. Luckily it has only happened when they were not around ;0)

Quote | Reply
ajessup wrote:

my kids had a blast watching me learn the rollers on my road bike.
not doing it on my tri bike. road was enough.
Quote Reply
Re: Rollers and tri bike [SKRider] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Has little to do with experience, has everything to do with smoothness. I have seen very experienced cyclists bail spectacularly on rollers and virtual newbies ride no hands with their eyes closed. It's a great way to smooth out the pedal stroke, and rewards smooth even pressure throughout your stroke... That said, I'd recommend for anyone starting out, set-up in a doorway, so you can use the sides as bumpers as you get comfortable, and then go from there...

Great way to improve your smoothness and bike handling.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have fears of providing my children with gratuitous entertainment due to my ineptness as I try to master them.

that's ok, it'll pass. it's worth it to see them smile even if it's at your own expense.

I have both a roadie and tri bike

get comfortable with the rollers on your road bike before switching to the tri bike. IMO, it's easier to learn on the road bike. I've ridden my tri bike on the rollers & it wasn't a pleasant experience.

Would like to take my sufferfest video training over to the rollers

good idea (seriously). get comfortable riding on the rollers first before trying to do a SF video. you'll find it's much more of a challenge to ride at high intensity on the rollers than on the trainer or road. you can coast for only a couple seconds & if you close your eyes you're done. if you're used to mashing the pedals & rocking back & forth, you're done.

Anyone with experience with the Tacx Galaxia rollers?

Nope. Kreitler with aluminum drums for me. bump stops, conical drums, etc all allow you to ride lazily.

an added benefit to riding the rollers is that i can ride my road bike no-hands - like i was 12 again.

king of the road says you move too slow
KING OF THE ROAD SAYS YOU MOVE TOO SLOW
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have the Emotion rollers and use my tri bike on them, tricky at first but as another said smooth stroke is the key. I put a chair beside me as a quick grab in case my youngest or the cat get uncomfortably close. For hard intervals I switch to my road bike.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ronniewo wrote:
Don't get me wrong, you won't sprint on them, hell, if you get off of the seat you're going off the rollers.

Mmmm....no, you're really not.

John

Top notch coaching: Francois and Accelerate3 | Follow on Twitter: LifetimeAthlete |
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I ride Kreitler rollers with 2.25" drums on my tri bike for the majority of my bike training. No problem with balance or resistance. (I can do anything barring a full-on sprint, which isn't specific to triathlon, anyway.)

Steve

"If you ain't first, you're last." Reese Bobby Talladega Nights
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I do all my indoor training on the rollers. On the TT bike I've done everything from recovery rides to LT intervals to VO2 Max work to 140 RPM cadence drills. It takes some time to get used to riding rollers bit it will make you a better bike rider for sure. To start with I just did warm up or cool downs on them then progressed to doing full workouts. The thing to remember is that the faster the wheels are spinning the easier it will be to maintain balance. I'd set the resistance on the rollers down very low and push a big gear for the first few months.

Also check this out: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zMtBOVDWItw

-------------------------------------------------------------------
Joel Rosinbum
President, USA Triathlon Board of Directors
twitter
instagram
Last edited by: leftarmbandit: Sep 24, 14 11:53
Quote Reply