Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Roller recommendations
Quote | Reply
I'm interested in getting some rollers, but really have no idea about which ones are good. Any recommendations would be appreciated.
Quote Reply
Re: Roller recommendations [Mks202] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've been using the Cycleops magnetic rollers for about 3 months with no complaints. I've been using them with TrainerRoad for about 3 weeks and it's worked well. There's enough resistance for FTP tests, but 200% FTP efforts can be a bit of a problem as there's not quite enough resistance.

Your favorite mafia sucks.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a set of Tacx Galaxia and really like them. I use them as a compliment to my Kickr.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
to me, e-motion rollers are the best! they have pretty nifty additions that make it easier to learn to stay on the rollers as opposed to the rest where you basically gotta be a roller rider expert!

I also have used the arion roller (red drums) that had adjustable resistance (0-1-2) they did their job excellently unfortunately I had to sell it

Speed kills unless you have speed skills!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It depends. Tell us what you think you want to use them for:
- Main indoor training system OR supplementary?
- Warm-ups, cadence work, spinning, recovery and bike handling OR power/resistance workouts?

David K
Quote Reply
Re: Roller recommendations [DavidK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It would be my main indoor training system, but I really could use it for cadence, pedal stroke, and handling.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If the rollers will be your main indoor training system, I would recommend the emotion from InsideRide. They are very sturdy and comes with a smart resistance unit option for added resistance and trainer control when using apps like Zwift or trainer road.

SmartBikeTrainers.com || YouTube || My Twitter
Quote Reply
Re: Roller recommendations [Tri Nut] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: Roller recommendations [bryce_d] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have the same rollers you do. I ride them when I have a base ride scheduled with no intervals. I'm no slouch on the bike and I've never done any 200% ftp intervals. I can't imagine trying to do anything like that on a set of rollers....Come to think of it, I don't think I have any interest or justification for trying any of that on a standard trainer for that matter. Out of curiosity, how long are your 200% ftp intervals?
Quote Reply
Re: Roller recommendations [Ktri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not long. A workout like Abott on TrainerRoad has you going at like 15 seconds or something. Just an example.

Your favorite mafia sucks.
Quote Reply
Re: Roller recommendations [bryce_d] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Kreitler
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you go with Al drum rollers (Kreitler FTW), you can buy a $20 neodymium magnet on Amazon and stick it on the frame right near, but not touching, the Al drum and you get a bunch of resistance. Essentially magnetic braking (Faraday's Law FTW). Very natural feeling and cheap.
Quote Reply
Re: Roller recommendations [robabeatle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've always heard about magnetic resistance, but I guess I never knew it was as easy as throwing a magnet on there. Crazy! Thanks for the suggestion!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: Roller recommendations [robabeatle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
robabeatle wrote:
If you go with Al drum rollers (Kreitler FTW), you can buy a $20 neodymium magnet on Amazon and stick it on the frame right near, but not touching, the Al drum and you get a bunch of resistance. Essentially magnetic braking (Faraday's Law FTW). Very natural feeling and cheap.

this post is full of win; chapeau

also, how does the resistance compared to that of magnetic resistance units?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you've never ridden rollers, I'd go w/ the parabolic-drum style, to keep from riding off. Even if you're experienced, riding off due to inattention is not fun.
Elite parabolic can be had for $200-ish. Kreitler/aluminum drums are nice but more $$ and non-parabolic.

Free-float rollers are cool, but there are DIY videos online showing you how to turn any rollers into free-float.
Smart rollers seem the holy grail for road feel + erg, but in reading many reviews, it seems a bridge too far and not worth the money.

Rollers teach smooth riding and are more cerebral than sitting on a turbo trainer. Buy a nice, cheap pair and have fun with them.
And remember you can ride w/ running shoes (not clipping in) til you figure them out.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Has anyone got experience of the Sportcrafters ones? I'm interested since they offer drums that have resistance (overdrive) and high inertia. So similar to what the Trutrainer ones offer but for a lot less. I like being able to put some effort into the roller sessions.The elite Arion resistance ones are nice but once you have resistance the corresponding inertia means that you have to be careful to always pedal, otherwise the back roller comes to a quick halt.

SteveMc
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've been using these all year:

http://www.elite-it.com/...llers/arion-mag-al13

On the max resistance setting (after they are warned up) 350w = 39km/h
That makes them ok for all my training needs.
Some of the people I race with would need some more resistance than that.

#######
My Blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I also give good marks toward E-Motion rollers and there is some extra versatility if you want to expand. I suppose the same could be said for some other rollers as well.

I primarily use a Kickr and still have the E-Motion rollers that I will use on occasion. I have the beta wireless resistance unit and I hear the newer unit available is a little better for pairing and to use with Zwift, TrainerRoad or other apps for wireless resistance control or ERG mode so that could be a future bonus to either add on the purchase or to add later. I may get the new wireless controller later, but for now I like going back to the simplicity of the mechanical selector because I have the Kickr for ERG mode.

I have the fork stand that I use now and then when I want to take balance out of the equation and just use it like a regular stationary trainer. I typically use the fork stand when I want to do very short high intensity efforts and have been up over 700 watts and could go higher to give you an idea of the resistance level from the mechanical selected resistance and 50 / 11 ratio. Used as a stationary trainer has a nice effect as well with the rear wheel loose there is some slight movement that is a little easier on the crotch compared to sitting on a locked in stationary trainer.

edit:
Here is my last equipment test after putting the mechanical resistance selector back on the rollers and I just got my road bike upgraded to SRAM etap wifli with the 52/36 and 11-32 cassette. This was not a fitness test and I just wanted to give the bike and the rollers a lightish type sprint just to see if they were both operating okay. It is just a testimony for the flexibility of being able to go long sustained efforts or semi-intense jumps with these rollers if one wants.

https://www.strava.com/activities/912962027
Last edited by: Felt_Rider: Apr 19, 17 4:29
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a set Kreitler rolles (4.5 alloy) with the Killer Headwind and the Flywheel. It is a "dumb" system in that there is no connectivity to Zwift, etc. Using a speed and cadence sensor tells me how much work I am doing. It does provide several combinations of resistance, from none at all to extreme, and can be used for warming up on a track bike to leg burning all out seated sprints.

For years I have thought about making a DIY freemotion system but have never gotten beyond the saving links from the net stage.

Riding aero or standing should not be particularly difficult providing you adjust the rollers to your bike's wheelbase properly.
Last edited by: DavidK: Apr 19, 17 11:00
Quote Reply
Re: Roller recommendations [Felt_Rider] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was turned on to emotion rollers by insideride.com from a member here. I think it was darkspeed works. I couldnt be happier going with his advise. Having never used rollers , I was able to get the hang of it right away thanks to the safty bumpers. That being said , the best thing for me was the ability to use this as a stationary trainer along with trainer road using the fork stand.
Benefits as a stationary trainer for me:
1- comes on and off in seconds by just removing front wheel.
2- no issues at all with heating up tires or exessive tire wear
3- floating deck moves and gives you a much less ridged experience compared to regular trainers. Your sit bones will thank you!
4- compatible with tr and vertual power.
5- super stable and fairly quiet.
Not a smart trainer but imo smart trainers make you lazy :-)
Quote Reply
Re: Roller recommendations [SteveMc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SteveMc wrote:
Has anyone got experience of the Sportcrafters ones? I'm interested since they offer drums that have resistance (overdrive) and high inertia. So similar to what the Trutrainer ones offer but for a lot less. I like being able to put some effort into the roller sessions.The elite Arion resistance ones are nice but once you have resistance the corresponding inertia means that you have to be careful to always pedal, otherwise the back roller comes to a quick halt.

SteveMc

Been riding sportcrafters for about a year. I don't have a high inertia drum so I cant speak to that, but the resistance on the overdrive is nice - no more spinning out the biggest gear. Like you said its nice to be able to put some work into roller sessions. Before that I had a set of basic Performance rollers that I added magnets to - that was okay, but the overdrive is much nicer.
Quote Reply
Re: Roller recommendations [spookini] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good points- thanks!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TruTrainer makes some nice rollers too.
Quote Reply
Re: Roller recommendations [echappist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm not sure how it compares. All I can say is that it is very smooth and feels road-like.

I was spinning out without the magnet under 300 W, now I don't spin out even at 500 W+ . I really don't need more resistance than that for the intervals that I do on the rollers.

; )
Quote Reply

Prev Next