Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Roll call: Pacific Crest HIM or Olympic
Quote | Reply
Who's in? (I'm doing the HIM, as a relay.)

Can anyone recommend a good place or two in Bend or Sunriver, for carb loading in the days prior?
Quote Reply
Re: Roll call: Pacific Crest HIM or Olympic [Oleander] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ernesto's in Bend is good. Italian fare. In Sunriver there is another Italian that I cannot remember the name of, you'd likely need a reservation there but not necessarily at Ernesto's.

Good luck
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Always wanted to do this race. Hopefully you can do a race report after you get back. Beautiful country up there... Sorry but can't help you with recommendation. You should just call Steve since I'm sure he would help you...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've done PC 4 times, and was a part time Bend resident for awhile about 6 years ago. Last time we did PC we rented a condo in SunRiver. Although we had free housing (and nice, on the river!) in Bend, traveling back and forth is a bitch, so I would stay in SunRiver. Most places up in SunRiver are pretty nice.

Didn't eat in the restaurants there in SR, went into Bend. Yes, I love Merenda, downtown, for dinner. It gets crowded so make reservations. The Deschutes Brewery is great for cheaper pub food, and the best beer. And for a post race treat, hit up Bendistillery and have Al make you an infused martini. They are the BOMB.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bump.

Isn't anyone else doing this race?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm not this year, but have in the past....great event! Can't help you on restaurants though....we always rented a house in Sun River and cooked pasta at home.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm in. Actually, my whole family's in. Here's the story.

Dad and Stepmom moved to Sunriver about 10 years ago. I've been up there many times, and I've loved training on the roads and trails there. Aside from Truckee, it's the only place that I've ever felt was set up perfectly for the active lifestyle we all enjoy.

I've always had a conflict on this weekend (IMCDA, etc.), but decided to do this one this year. As soon as I committed to the HIM, my wife committed to the half-marathon on Saturday and the 10K on Sunday, my Dad, Stepmom, two sisters, brother in law, and boyfriend of younger sister committed to the 10K, with my brother in law also committing to the half-marathon. Since the whole dang family is running the 10K on Sunday, I committed to that as well.

Sooo, I'll be doing the HIM on Saturday, and the 10K on Sunday. Wife's doing the half-marathon and the 10K, and everyone else is doing what they can. This will be the first 10K for my sisters, BIL and the boyfriend. Should be a lot of glory and smiles around the TruckeeTri house on Sunday night. Can't wait.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I doinng the HIM on Sat as well. I live in PDX & have done it several times. Great bike course. Since I'm going by myself I couldn't find any available or afforable lodging so I am having to stay in Bend. Kind of a drag with the drive. Bend has several good places to eat. Sunriver resturants can be quite crowded.

I understand they are working on the main entrance to Sunriver which will make traffic a bitch. So yu might want to come & go from the North (Cottonwood) if you go to Bend.

Barb
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm in (1/2 IM), at least as of now. Let's see what my doctor's appt. tells me today. Been putting off a surgery for sometime now and wouldn't you know, two weeks out, it comes back to haunt me and I'm at a point where I might not able to race. Did Oly last year and loved it. Either way I'm going still. My family has a home at Crosswater so we will enjoy the festivities regardless. If I can't race, I'll be disappointed with all the training I've put in, but my wife tells me that I should look at it as just good 'ol exercise. She's right.

Good luck to all!!! See you next weekend.
Quote Reply
Re: Roll call: Pacific Crest HIM or Olympic [PKKC] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
As a PDXer, this is the only race that is in permanent ink on the race calendar... unless I decide to do CDA next year. That's the only way I break the streak. This is year 5 for me. It is the most amazing race weekend I have ever found. Boston marathon was the only thing close to the same feel but that's spread over a big city instead of infecting a small resort community. Last year, I helped out with a charity fundraising/training program for the Oly there which was great. I raced on Saturday and ran all 48 on my team to the finish on Sunday. This year, a bunch of those folks formed the portland tri club and will be racing with me on Saturday in addition to my other friends who regularly do it. We have a huge house right at the beginning of the run course with 14 people staying in it. If any of you are open to traveling to the great NW for a race one of these days, book housing early in Sunriver and come on out. It is an amazing weekend. The swim is chilly and has great mountains around. The bike is probably as nice as any triathlon bike route in the states, and running around the resort with everyone barbecuing on their decks is tough but lots of fun. It is my favorite race and also the hardest race I have done. Hope to see you there.

We always get a house and cook so I don't know about restaurants other than seconding Deschutes Brewery for pub food. That's better for post race because they have some of the best beer in the best beer state in the country. All the beers are named for local geographical features of the heavily volcanic central cascade mt. range.
Quote Reply
Re: Roll call: Pacific Crest HIM or Olympic [BarbBikeTechie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
[reply]I understand they are working on the main entrance to Sunriver which will make traffic a bitch. So yu might want to come & go from the North (Cottonwood) if you go to Bend. [/reply]

I didn't know there was an alternate way to get to Sunriver from Bend. Is it just an early/northerly exit from highway 97, or some other way?

Thanks.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Is it just an early/northerly exit from highway 97

Yes
Quote Reply