Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Roka Generation 2 Tri Apparel
Quote | Reply
https://www.roka.com/...&utm_term=170830

https://www.roka.com/...hort-sleeve-tri-suit

MEN'S Elite Aero II
Short Sleeve Tri Suit
Built on the foundation of our battle-tested debut tri suit, ROKA is proud to launch Generation II Tri Race Apparel. Key performance upgrades gleaned from our time in the Wind Tunnel, our Pro Cycling Collection and your incredibly valuable feedback, our new suits are faster, more breathable, and more comfortable.

The one-piece men’s short-sleeve tri suit is designed to provide the optimal balance of aerodynamics, race day function, and premium comfort for triathlons of any duration, from sprint to full iron distance. Available in eight sizes (including talls) and crafted with multiple premium Italian and proprietary fabrics, the Elite Aero II kits provide a compressive race fit, high shape retention through the race season, and coveted aerodynamics. The suit was tested not just in the tunnel and on the road, but also in the water to be comfortable, flexible and free on the swim. This kit is designed to fit under your wetsuit or swim skin and will not bag out when wet. Full Coldblack treatment ensures best of breed temperature regulation. The addition of our own no-sew premium knit fabric eliminates sausage leg while retaining optimal compression. The elastic interface, low profile foam chamois moves with the body providing comfort and speed on the bike and support on the run with no diaper butt!

The Generation II Tri Suit is a major step forward. The ultimate in race day comfort, utility and performance.

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Last edited by: BryanD: Aug 30, 17 10:19
Quote Reply
Re: Roka Generation 2 Tri Apparel [BryanD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Glad to see you back on your announcing game

I will give this "major step forward" a big "meh"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
First thing I thought of, reading that, was that guy Elaine used to work for (Seinfeld) that wrote the ads for the magazine (J. Peterman?).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm a Roka fan, but I find it annoying that they optimized this suit (only) for use with swim skins and wet suits.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have some "laser cut" LG tri shorts. It's a legitimately noticeable improvement. My first Roka tri suit was very comfy so I may give this one a go as well for wetsuit legal races.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
bummer I just got #1 in the mail today..... atleast it was cheap
Quote Reply
Re: Roka Generation 2 Tri Apparel [JoelO] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think you're over-reading the description. If something would work well with a swimskin or wetsuit I don't see why it wouldn't be good without one
Quote Reply
Re: Roka Generation 2 Tri Apparel [DFW_Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"Please also note that because of the highly textured material, mesh, exposed pockets and front zipper, we do not recommend swimming in this suit without a wetsuit or swimskin over it. The fabric is not coated to repel water, and you will be much faster with a swimskin or wetsuit. We are certain that time saved on the swim will outweigh the few seconds you trade-off in transition at T1."

This is what was written for the earlier version of the product. I'm assuming it applies to this one as well.

It might work just fine by itself but this description implies that you'd be giving up significant time. Maybe I'm reading too much into what they're saying ... idk.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
And this version says
The suit was tested not just in the tunnel and on the road, but also in the water to be comfortable, flexible and free on the swim. This kit is designed to fit under your wetsuit or swim skin and will not bag out when we

I think they are trying to say this new version will work well with a wetsuit or swimskin but also by itself (free on the swim). Actually I'm quite confident that if someone from Roka reads your post they will be scrambling to explain that their description was not meant to convey what it incorrectly did to you (and probably others).
Last edited by: DFW_Tri: Aug 31, 17 5:00
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
DFW_Tri wrote:
And this version says
The suit was tested not just in the tunnel and on the road, but also in the water to be comfortable, flexible and free on the swim. This kit is designed to fit under your wetsuit or swim skin and will not bag out when we

I think they are trying to say this new version will work well with a wetsuit or swimskin but also by itself (free on the swim). Actually I'm quite confident that if someone from Roka reads your post they will be scrambling to explain that their description was not meant to convey what it incorrectly did to you (and probably others).

I think they mean you can swim with it zipped up and still have good mobility.
Quote Reply
Re: Roka Generation 2 Tri Apparel [ffmedic84] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Exactly
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Has anyone tried this on a hot race yet? Just worried about the heat since it is all black.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I used the old version with a swimskin today... no issues.
Quote Reply
Re: Roka Generation 2 Tri Apparel [spntrxi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Brilliant marketing. There will naturally be a generation 3 and beyond. Only minor differences but y'all better get on it and upgrade. You can't be seen wearing the old crap now, can you?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JoelO wrote:
"Please also note that because of the highly textured material, mesh, exposed pockets and front zipper, we do not recommend swimming in this suit without a wetsuit or swimskin over it. The fabric is not coated to repel water, and you will be much faster with a swimskin or wetsuit. We are certain that time saved on the swim will outweigh the few seconds you trade-off in transition at T1."

This is what was written for the earlier version of the product. I'm assuming it applies to this one as well.

It might work just fine by itself but this description implies that you'd be giving up significant time. Maybe I'm reading too much into what they're saying ... idk.

Significant time based on what data and what is significant? I think they only buy that in the hope you buy a Roka swim skin as well IMO...
Quote Reply
Re: Roka Generation 2 Tri Apparel [Shambolic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey Gang,

Lemme add a bit to the convo and see if it helps clarify or resolve any misconceptions.

1. Launching an incremental upgrade - what's up with that.
  • The Gen II tri line is an incremental upgrade, and we are proud to launch it. We actually had hoped to get these new features in our first launch but couldn't get it done, due to manufacturing challenges that have now been overcome, so we did a relatively fast follow. We felt this is better for the consumer than arbitrarily waiting for some traditional merchandising cycle. And since we're mostly a direct brand, we have the luxury of being nimble.

2. Scope of improvement
  • As we flagged on our website and in other communications, we've made the suits more comfortable by eliminating elastic cuffs on the arms and legs. As good as those were, these are better. The internal silicone print and clean laser cut finish on legs are similar to what we do on our cycling kits, and they have been really well received. Better distribution of pressure and zero sausage leg. We also removed seams on the back of the suit to improve aero and breathability and changed the leg fabric from textured to smooth, both of which we had previously identified in wind tunnel testing do make the suit faster. Re: the all black fabric, this fabric is treated with Schoeller's Coldblack technology, which was empirically proven to work by them and validated by other brands long before we started using it. Note: we will be launching a white/black suit this fall and next year for non-believers and folks with different aesthetic preferences who don't want an all-black kit. Will likely have a very small number of units at Kona. Very small. Should have more stock for late season races like Arizona, Austin 70.3, etc. Again, could have waited to next year but trying to move as fast as we can.
  • So overall, this isn't a major upgrade but nonetheless one we didn't want to delay getting to the market. If you own the original suit, you may not need or want to upgrade. All good. If you were on the fence, hopefully this new line will tip your interest.

3. Swimming in just the tri suit without a swimskin or wetsuit over it.
  • The copy from our site is correct: we don't recommend racing in just the tri suit. The pockets on the back, the decoupled front zip, and the porous aero textured material all cause way more drag than wearing a swimskin. How much and whether it is significant is relative. If you are middle of the pack or back of the pack swimmer, you may not care about marginal time gains. No worries. If you are a front of the pack swimmer and care about every second and spend $5-10k+ on your bike and do everything to eek out free speed, then we recommend you do wear a swimskin over it in warm water. (And of course wear a wetsuit over it). Based on our swimskin sales, a lot of our customers are very competitive, so we definitely bias that way naturally in our product copy. YMMV.
  • This tri suit is not a "speedsuit" meant to be worn without a wetsuit or swimskin. Just wasn't designed for it. If anyone has bought one of our Team USA suits, you'll note those are a bit different in materialization and assembly. There, the material is more like what we use on our swimskins, warp knit or stretch woven with dwr, etc, hence those garments are much closer in speed and drag, which is why it wasn't an issue for pros or age groupers to wear those Team USA kits alone, without swimskin, in USAT events.
  • Based on the success we've had with our Team USA suits, we may consider making a tri kit that is better designed to be worn alone, like a De Soto Liftfoil or Kiwami suit or another competitor suit. Those suits are great, but to date, we've found pretty limited demand from our customers for that style of suit, as most people we interact with who race in warmer water prefer going with a swimskin and then getting maximum flex out of their tri suit on the bike and run with more pockets, decoupled front zip, better breathability and moisture transfer, etc. As with anything, YMMV. All good!

Hope that clarifies any questions or concerns. If you all have suggestions about how we can get better, please feel free to email me at rob@roka.com. I may not respond immediately but would love any and all constructive feedback. And of course feel free to take advantage of our 30 day return policy if you want to try them and decide for yourself.

Best,
Rob

---
rob canales
ceo + co-founder at ROKA
http://www.roka.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Here is the new White Roka Gen 2 sleeved suit!
https://www.roka.com/...ons/new-arrivals-men

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
At least some color....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey BryanD, Do you know if there is going to be Gen 2 Cycling apparel?

Team Zoot
2019 Sponsors: Canyon Bikes, Garmin, Smith Optics, Gatorade, Zealios Skin Care & Sun Protection, Speedfill Products, Base Performance, Ottolock, Theragun, Boco Gear, ORR Carbon Wheel Systems, Giddy Up Multisport
Quote Reply
Re: Roka Generation 2 Tri Apparel [rsmoylan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes. I'll let everyone know as soon as it comes out.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BryanD wrote:
Yes. I'll let everyone know as soon as it comes out.

Reviving this old thread to ask if anyone tried these on...how is the fit on the sizing chart? I mean...I'm normally a medium in everything, does this Gen 2 ss aero fit small? More than enough evidence the pad on the ROKA suit sucks--can't find a positive on the pad. But..
would you go with a Small-Tall or a Medium if you were a 5'10 & 153 lb dude with a tiny waist (30 on waist)...**Side note--I don't have a choice to buy another brand in this case, I have to get the ROKA, USA Triathlon won't let us get another brand**

FWIW, I tried the uni-back zip suit & their size chart put me in a small but I also ordered Med & returned the small (ROKA's size chart was WAY off...)
Quote Reply
Re: Roka Generation 2 Tri Apparel [Rocky M] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am 6'2", 153-155 lbs race weight, and wear a Roka gen 2 suit in small-tall. Fits great. Snug, but comfortable. It can't be unzipped halfway down... If the zipper is even partially down it just slides down all the way and pops open. But it's not restrictive.
Quote Reply
Re: Roka Generation 2 Tri Apparel [ClayDavis] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks Clay. I was talking to a guy I know who uses a MT and is 6.0 ft & 155. So you're taller & wear a smaller version yet. Sounds like their Gen 3 will need to A) have a zip that doesn't solo-zip down B) come up with a better pad (because he said the pad was bad/not ideal). Other reviews of the ROKA tri suit said doing anything over a half with minimal seat would be *tough*--so...not feeling confident here on this. I may stick with the Uni-Tard suit in this case. It may just be best.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Having only raced Oly distance in the suit I can't comment on how the pad feels after 90k, but my limited experience would make me apprehensive. I'm sure the MT would fit fine too... I'm just trying to avoid wrinkles at all costs (#aeroiseverything) and my wetsuit is ST too, so figure that's where I'm at. Haven't had good luck finding things in "regular" sizes (i.e. S, M, L) that fit properly with my particular body proportions, so I liked that Roka had "tall" options. I don't think the zipper popping open is necessarily a flaw in the design, just that I am stretching the ST-sized suit pretty tight over my chest. I raced in an ITU suit before this (2XU sized M) and the back zipper did the same thing. It was either all the way closed or all the way open.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm about 5'9-5'10'' with longish legs and shortish arms. I weigh about 72kg or 161lbs. I took a risk and got the size Small. Most of my pants are size 30 waist. I have their cycling jersey in S/T and it's a little long in the body for me but fits right.

When I first put on the small, I thought it was going to be too tight but after awhile it felt fine. The legs come up alittle shorter than I'd like but it worked out fine. I wore the suit at IM Copenhagen last year and I think it helped with my time. I shaved off around 10min with a slightly smaller helmet (giro aerohead size small) and that Roka suit. My power and position was about the same (conditions might of been slightly different). I also ran around 10min faster!

Great suit!

The pad was fine for that distance. I had a little chaving on my inner thigh but that was probably me not being used to holding that position for so long. If you have to Pee, the way the top works is actually really well made. Pop open and you can easily go to the toilet, easy zip up!
Quote Reply

Prev Next