Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Road bike STI shifters
Quote | Reply
Is there much of a difference between ultegra and dura-ace or is this something you want to spend the extra money for?

Grant

Grant
----------------------------------------------------
Proudly sponsored by Desoto Sports
Please Support CAF every little bit helps http://raceforareason.kintera.org/grantreuter
Quote Reply
Re: Road bike STI shifters [cyclonehockey21] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you're trying to build that Soloist up to be solid, but affordable, go full Ultegra with a Dura-Ace rear derailleur...Dura-Ace front derailleur only if you live in a hilly area and will be shifting the chainring a lot.

Portside Athletics Blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I sort of agree with SwBkRn44, but I would use all Ultegra drive and shift components and use the Dura Ace shifters. I personally think they shift a bit better. (If you keep your rear der. clean and lubed you can't tell the difference between Ultegra and DA. At least I can't).

Azby
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There are some differences between the two levers.

According to Shimano (I just phoned them to ask) the primary differences are:
  • Dura-Ace levers have a 3 year warranty, Ultegra are covered for 2 years.
  • Dura-Ace levers use several different materials than Ultegra in the body and the rotating ratchet mechanism that enhance their durability. As a result, a Dura-Ace STi lever will last longer and be more crash resistant (although crash damage is not covered in Shimano's warranty).
  • Dura-Ace STi dual control levers are slightly lighter than Ultegra.
  • The shiny finish on Dura-Ace and the pewter powder coating also add cost to the levers but enhance their overall appearance.
  • There is no difference in "throw" or acctuation distance between Ultegra 10 speed and Dura-Ace 10 speed STi dual control levers.
  • The current Ultegra ST-6600 series STi dual control lever is based directly on the design of the ST-7800 Series Shimano Dura-Ace STi dual control lever.

I hope that helps! Shimano does have a consumer inquiry toll-free line at 1 800 423 2420.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Re: Road bike STI shifters [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
thanks Tom

so... if I understand correctly:

DA10 is pretty much exactly the same as Ultegra10 except they're slightly lighter, shinier and have one more year under warranty.

I think the more durable / crash resistant thing sounds like kind of a red herring.
Quote Reply
Re: Road bike STI shifters [bpq] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You missed the most important part - rotation of the shifter.

To the original post, I'd really take a look at SRAM due to ergonomics. I actually prefer the DA shifting, but the ergo of the SRAM is extremely comfy to ride.....
Quote Reply
Re: Road bike STI shifters [Diesel] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
After riding Ultegra shifters for the last 7 years I have moved to DA and they shift much better than the Ultegra ever did.
Quote Reply
Re: Road bike STI shifters [Bigring] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think that likely had a lot more to do with 7 years of technological improvement, rather than line labels.
Quote Reply
Re: Road bike STI shifters [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks tom and everyone else..... I guess it really doesn't matter

I'll just see what i can find on ebay.

Grant

Grant
----------------------------------------------------
Proudly sponsored by Desoto Sports
Please Support CAF every little bit helps http://raceforareason.kintera.org/grantreuter
Quote Reply
Re: Road bike STI shifters [Alpern] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would say more due to the fact that if the Ultegra levers were 7 years old they were probably worn out and anything would have seemed better.
Quote Reply