Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Road Tubeless Question
Quote | Reply
Sorry for the tome.

I've got a set of Hed Belgium+ set up for road tubeless. Currently they have IRC Roadlites on them. Wheels and tires have about 600 miles on them. Pumped them up to 85 in the parking lot and headed out for the group ride. 200 yds and POW. Just like puncturing a tube. Another rider said he heard a sound like my brake was rubbing. My guess is that there was a puncture and this was air escaping. There was very little sealant in the tire when I pulled it. I've ridden road tubeless on my Eurus wheels for 2 years and never had this happen. I've used Hutchinson Atoms (too narrow, wore well, but did tear one sidewall) and Schwalbe Ironman (wider, too soon on wear, but a torn sidewall).

Anyway, checked the tire, installed a tube and inflated it. POW. Went home. Checked tube. Found blowout. Rechecked tire. Still can't find the puncture. Replaced tire. Guessing it's just one of those things.

Has anyone else experienced a blowout on a road tubeless?

Thanks.
Quote Reply
Re: Road Tubeless Question [FatandSlow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pow! doesn't occur unless the air escapes very suddenly... usually because the tire bead has come off the rim.

So check the rim for something that doesn't allow the bead to seat properly, and check the tire for damage to the bead (ie stretched, torn).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tiny flakes of metal have caused this for me in the past. Whether from the road or the rim

Dtyrrell
Quote Reply
Re: Road Tubeless Question [Dtyrrell] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks, ya'll. New tire is holding on the rim fine (after10 hours). Checked original tire agin tonight. Still can't find any damage.

Appreciate the input.

Thanks again.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
FatandSlow,
as you are the only person that I've become aware of using tubeless onroad,can I ask why you went to road tubeless in the first place?
other than this instance have you had any other problems?
would you do it again?

thank you in advance, Avago
Quote Reply
Re: Road Tubeless Question [Avago] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've been using tubeless for about three years now, initially switching one set of wheels because I just wanted to try it. I had been averaging a flat every 2 to 3 weeks ( it seemed like mostly pinch flats,,although I was running 100-110 pressure). I liked the idea of sealant to close small holes and the much reduced possibility of pinch flats and the other reasons people cite - ride, etc.

I now have four sets of tubeless including my race wheels. I've tried almost all of the sealants out there and found Orange Seal to be the best. It seals small holes well. It also doesn't seem to dry out fast like some other brands. However, I recently had an issue with it forming a large latex mass inside the tire and had to clean it out (found in because when I hung the bike post ride, the wheel always stopped rotating at the same place).

Tires on the other hand are still evolving. I've found some are cut prone, some wear very fast, etc.
- Hutchinson Fusion 3 seem to be very cut prone and 8wear fast.
- Intensives have good wear, but a bit higher rolling resistance.
- Schwalbe One seem to be good. I only have a couple hundred miles on a set.
- Schwalbe Ironman are on my race wheels (Heds) and I really like them over Hutchinson Atoms.
- The next I want to try for training are Hutchinson Sectors on my HED Plus training wheels. I just hope they fit between the stays.

"The men who try to do something and fail, are infinitely better off than those who try to do nothing and succeed." Lloyd James
Quote Reply
Re: Road Tubeless Question [Avago] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey Avago,

I went with the road tubeless just because I wanted to try them. I was planning on doing Battenkill in 2013 and though it would be a good option. It worked fine. My first set of Hutchinson Atoms got about 20% more mileage than the Michelin Pro 3s I was using at the time. So my initial experience was great. Since then, I've had the two sidewall tears (Atom and Schwalbe) from potholes (one deep, one shallow) and this anomaly (hopefully) with the IRC. I tried the Schwalbe and the IRC tires based on the rolling resistance tests that have been posted on ST. The Atoms are too narrow. The Schwalbes are fine (both Ironman and One). But I really like the ride of the IRCs. Used them in a crit and 2 road races. Have a 23 on the front and a 25 on the rear. Really like the ride and I'm able to corner faster on them.

Would I do it again? Under the same circumstances, yes. Because I like trying new things. For most, I don't think it's worth the extra trouble. If you're thinking about it, read the tests for sealant that were posted on ST.

hth
Quote Reply
Re: Road Tubeless Question [Tri-Bum] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tri-Bum wrote:
I've been using tubeless for about three years now, initially switching one set of wheels because I just wanted to try it. I had been averaging a flat every 2 to 3 weeks ( it seemed like mostly pinch flats,,although I was running 100-110 pressure). I liked the idea of sealant to close small holes and the much reduced possibility of pinch flats and the other reasons people cite - ride, etc.

I now have four sets of tubeless including my race wheels. I've tried almost all of the sealants out there and found Orange Seal to be the best. It seals small holes well. It also doesn't seem to dry out fast like some other brands. However, I recently had an issue with it forming a large latex mass inside the tire and had to clean it out (found in because when I hung the bike post ride, the wheel always stopped rotating at the same place).

Tires on the other hand are still evolving. I've found some are cut prone, some wear very fast, etc.
- Hutchinson Fusion 3 seem to be very cut prone and 8wear fast.
- Intensives have good wear, but a bit higher rolling resistance.
- Schwalbe One seem to be good. I only have a couple hundred miles on a set.
- Schwalbe Ironman are on my race wheels (Heds) and I really like them over Hutchinson Atoms.
- The next I want to try for training are Hutchinson Sectors on my HED Plus training wheels. I just hope they fit between the stays.

TriBum,
I'm curious to know if you've ever tried the Stan's Conversion Kit for putting a tubeless tire on a conventional clincher wheel, or if all your Tubeless tires are mounted on "tubeless compatible" wheels?
I'm getting a punctire every week these days and ready to try something new

res, non verba
Quote Reply
Re: Road Tubeless Question [Tri-Bum] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I had been averaging a flat every 2 to 3 weeks

Good grief!

I'm always fascinated by this. How is it that I can ride thousands of miles each year, on some really awful roads, including moderate gravel and dirt roads, and on average each year, I get 1 - 2 on-the-road flats.

My current set up is Conti 700 X 25 4000s that I run at about 95 psi. Butyl tubes.

I just had my first flat of the year last week. Changed it in about 2 minutes and was on my way!

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Last edited by: Fleck: Aug 23, 14 16:29
Quote Reply
Re: Road Tubeless Question [RoYe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Three sets of road wheels
- Ardennes Plus, which they provide their tape kit and are tubeless ready.
- Velocity Aileron using Stan's tape . The Velocity are tubeless ready also.
- velocity A23 converted with Stan's. Not tubeless ready, but they were converted with Stan's and work fine.

I had my shop do the setups, just because they do a lot of mtb tubeless so have a lot of experience and do a great job.

I use orange seal sealant and valves from http://speed-evolution.com. The length of the valves works well and I like the quality.

"The men who try to do something and fail, are infinitely better off than those who try to do nothing and succeed." Lloyd James
Quote Reply
Re: Road Tubeless Question [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Flats are one of the reasons I converted. Two weeks ago I was using Schwalbe tube wheels on my tri bike. Three flats on a 30+ mile ride. Got home and converted them to tubeless also. I guess I either ride on worse roads than you or just don't pay attention to what I am running over.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fleck wrote:

Good grief!

I'm always fascinated by this. How is it that I can ride thousands of miles each year, on some really awful roads, including moderate gravel and dirt roads, and on average each year, I get 1 - 2 on-the-road flats.

My current set up is Conti 700 X 25 4000s that I run at about 95 psi. Butyl tubes.

I just had my first flat of the year last week. Changed it in about 2 minutes and was on my way!

This year has been my worst year for flatting. 2 years ago I had 4 punctures in the calender year.
Some of my flats were old patches letting go, possibly because I'm trying Orange sealant and I think it's softening the repairs, some were pinch flats, some were punctures from FOD, some were faulty valve cores. The Orange sealant has not worked once.
I'm using Conti Gatorskins [ran over something sharp and valve failure], Vitoria Zafiro [2 punctures from glass], Schwalbe Ultremo [ran over sharp rock], on it goes.

res, non verba
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fleck wrote:

Good grief!

I hear ya, Steve. This year has been an anomaly for flats, at least for me. Usually get 2-3 a year in 12k miles/year.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just made the conversion to tubeless on my racing wheels approx a month before my event. The driving force was a small flat on a rear tire that took me enterily too long to fix. Yes, I do need to spend time to lear how to fix a repair quicker, but I was already going to upgrade to racing tires so I went all in on Hutchinson Atom Gatalick. Stans is the goo. I had my bike shop install, so I cannot speak to the issue some may have with installation difficulty.

I have not suffered any low-outs with this tubeless ready setup. For me I was willing to spend a bit more for flat-prevention insurance rather then be stuck on the side of the road performing a fix.
Quote Reply