Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Road ID
Quote | Reply
Just curious who uses one and why. I understand if you have a medical condition that EMTs should know about or if you are in a different country, but what are the other reasons?
Just curious, if you need to give proof of id, I don't think your dog tag is going to count. Seems to me like someone created a niche then filled it...
Quote Reply
Re: Road ID [kdobson] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
First and foremost it has identifiers in case someone finds me injured/dead on the side of the road.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If something ever happens to me when riding or running, it has the contact info of my family members who can give the responders medical information. It's ten bucks and definitely one of the best investments I made. Gives my family and I peace of mind.
Quote Reply
Re: Road ID [Kevinschus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fair enough, I'm sold. Piece of mind for my family is certainly worth ten bucks. thanks
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Get the Slim....by far the most comfortable of their options. You can also get extra bands in different colors for an extra $1 each.

I wear mine 24/7 due to the fact that I am on blood thinners. When I go to professional meetings, I use the black band. A bit more subtle. Most other times I use a red band.

Chicago Cubs - 2016 WORLD SERIES Champions!!!!

"If ever the time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." - Samuel Adams
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
yep wear mine all the time. Has all personal info on and already paid for itself when I fell over and cracked my head on a rock running - walkers knew my name and could contact my wife easily!! now my wife and sister have one too. great company to deal with and good products.
Quote Reply
Re: Road ID [Nicporter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Interesting thread. Are there any EMTs or emergency room trained folks on here that can vouch for knowing what the heck the thing is? I've got mine already on order, I'm just curious if it is something that they are relatively aware of.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I work Level 1 Trauma and when someone comes in unconscious one of the first things we do is attempt to contact a family member or someone who will be able to give us a past medical history. The Road ID (which we HAVE actually used) provides us with an immediate contact to give possibly vital information as well as someone to notify that their family member is in the ER. We do very often have people come in from fatal accidents (car, motorcycle etc) that do not have ID, or ID could not be obtained and they die or are dead without anyone to notify. It is not fun trying to track someone to tell them their loved one has been seriously injured, it adds a great deal of stess to an already stressful situation.

Obviously not all situations are fatal. We have had cyclists get hit and cannot recall information, the Road ID has helped to get in contact with someone to get info like name, DOB, allergies and previous mecical condition that could be helpful in knowing prior to treating. It's a sound investment of $20.00 even just for the piece of mind.

Quote | Reply
I was hit by a van yesterday while riding and knocked unconscious for I don't know how long. When I got to the hospital (I came to some point during the ambulance ride...I don't remember a lot) they asked me who they should contact and what they're phone numbers were. I couldn't remember that, but I knew enough to say "Road-ID". Get one.
Quote Reply
Re: Road ID [MCag512] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Heal fast, MCag. Hope it is not too serious.

Chicago Cubs - 2016 WORLD SERIES Champions!!!!

"If ever the time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." - Samuel Adams
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I wear the dog tag version and have for several years. I think it's just a very easy way to carry ID while I'm out riding. It has my name and emergency contact info so if I'm ever injured and unresponsive, at least they'll know who I am and who to call. I keep it with my helmet and glasses so I never forget to put it on.

If I had a medical condition, I'm not sure I'd rely it for communicating that information. If you have a medical condition that is important enough that EMTs or ER staff need to know about, I think you'd be much better served by a Medic Alert tag or bracelet. I think they are much more condition to pay addition to those and they may or may not rely on the medical info on a Road ID.
Quote Reply
Re: Road ID [ryancr711] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ryancr711 wrote:
Interesting thread. Are there any EMTs or emergency room trained folks on here that can vouch for knowing what the heck the thing is? I've got mine already on order, I'm just curious if it is something that they are relatively aware of.

That's the key question really. I'm a FF/EMT but to be honest I might be one of only a few people in my area to know to look for one. I reached out to Road ID a while back asking for promo materials to provide to other local agencies to make them aware of the product, but I never heard back.

Road IDs are only as good as the awareness of the responding agencies. However, a good crew / ER staff should find it on you even if they're not looking for it explicitly.

Larry Durland
Member of Team Firefighter
IM Blog: 34 Weeks & 17 Hours
Twitter: @larrydurland
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Funny you should say that. I had a dog tag Road Id, and one day on one of my training rides i lost control coming downhill at about 35-40 mph. i bounced off the pavement to the left, then to the right (people from my riding group explained it to me thats how i know) and finally crashed chest onto the guardrail. where a bolt was sticking out and struck me in the chest.

the people who i was riding with at the time were 2 doctors, a firefighter and surgeon...the firefighter checked my vitals and saw a small tear on my jersey, then opened up my jersey to find my dog tag bent right at the middle. he put two and two together and told me that the dog tag (road id) literally saved my life. it stopped a bolt from penetrating my chest.

the dr's treated me when i got down the mountain, a lot of road rash and a fractured wrist. i always wear a helmet, my head bounced off the pavement, and after that incident will never leave home with it. i wear my dog tags and my road id.

I'm Phrom Phoenix!
Quote Reply
Re: Road ID [jayare] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jayare wrote:
the people who i was riding with at the time were 2 doctors, a firefighter and surgeon..

Man I am glad you are ok. But if anything would happen to me. I want to be with a group like that.

SmartBikeTrainers.com || YouTube || My Twitter
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wife said I could get a new bike so long as I promised to wear a RoadID each time I road. Done and done.
Quote Reply
Re: Road ID [greensneakers] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How long before a retailer offers a free Road ID with every purchase?
Quote Reply
Re: Road ID [ryancr711] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm a paramedic and can tell you that I never leave the house on a run or a bike without mine on.

Any information that you can give emergency responders is a great help.
On mine I have:
My name
DOB
1st ICE: name and #
2nd ICE: name and #
Hx (Medical history) CVAs, CA, Cardiac, PE, etc...
NKA (No Known Allergies): Always good information for 911 and EDs: Any confirmed allergies are important to note.
Meds: Significant medications such as anticoagulants. Medical personnel will often deduce medical history from the list of medications that you're on.

I use medical abbreviations on my Road ID 1) it saves space and 2) it giver a degree of confidence to the medical personnel reading it.

HTH

-eric

---------------------------------------------
Everything changes, everything is connected; pay attention. -- Buddhism in 7 words
Quote Reply
Re: Road ID [tricam] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm planning to get one! Anyone knows which one should I get? The one with all info on the band itself, or the one with a link to a website?
Thanks!

----------------------------------------------------------
2011 Cannondale Slice
Eat. Sleep. Swim. Bike. Run. Win
Quote Reply
Re: Road ID [rycyt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The link to the website doesn't do anything for the paramedics, as they normally don't have the time nor capability to access it. The ED may or may not take the time to look at the website, depending on how much time it has. Chances are that it may look at the website for registration information only, not for medical information.
-eric

Everything changes, everything is connected; pay attention. -- Buddhism in 7 words
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I always have mine on. I tend to be on my own a lot and this makes me feel better knowing there is contact info in case anything happens. I wear it on my wrist with my watch. My theory is they may have to take off my watch at some point (its big and bulky) and would find it there. I'm also paranoid that something will happen to me and no one will know since I live alone and no one is expecting me home at a certain time.

I have:
My name
State I live in
My brother's name + cell
My sister-in-law's name + cell
My parents phone

My brother and sister-in-law live in the same city as I do so they are first on the list. Parents are on the other side of the country.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Jen

"In order to keep a true perspective on one's importance, everyone should have a dog that worships him and a cat that will ignore him." - Dereke Bruce
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Agreed. I would stick with the slim or the standard one which can kinda get smelly really fast if you wear it all the time like most of us would. It's a real lifesaver.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
After I got a Road ID I insisted my wife get one too, but I don't think she understood its purpose...

Larry Durland
Member of Team Firefighter
IM Blog: 34 Weeks & 17 Hours
Twitter: @larrydurland
Quote Reply
Re: Road ID [ldurland] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's hysterical!

I have the ID sport and wear it for every workout or if I'm out of town. I have the following on mine:
  • Name
  • US Passport # (I do a lot of international travel and run when in other locales)
  • Wife's name
  • Wife's cell
  • Blood type and NKA (no known allergies)

I also use mine for my 4 year old daughter - has both parent's cell phones, date of birth, address, blood type, and NKA. It gives me some piece of mind when we're out at the park/beach/etc. to know that she wouldn't have to have her phone number memorized in case she get's separated from us.

twomarks
Quote Reply
Re: Road ID [rycyt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ThanksRobert9407172

This coupon is good for $1 off any Road ID order. It can be used up to 20 times in the next 30 days. Feel free to send this coupon via email, Twitter, Facebook, MySpace, town crier, or good ole fashion smoke signal. Good until December 27th. Go ahead and use it if anyone is interested in one.

As an athlete, I would recommend those who have a low resting HR to indicate that on the Road ID. It is my understanding that the general population has a resting HR between 60-80 bpm and most of us athletes have a much lower RHR then that. Mine is around 45 bpm and back in Aug I had a crash on my bike that left me unconcious on the pavement and the paramedica where called. I was out for 3 to 5 minutes and when I can too, I had no clue who or where I was. I was transported to the ER.

This happened as I was on a warmup rise about 45 minutes before a sprint triathlon. I had my body markings done and a volunteer at the race spotted me laying on the ground. The volunteer called 911 and the race director. The race director announced my number after the race started (an hour later) and told my wife where I was. As she arrived I was being treated for cuts, scraps and had a ekg done and a cat scan was scheduled. The ER doctor mentioned to me (by this time I was getting my senses back) that my HR was rather low and he wasn't sure what was going on. I told him my resting HR was about 45 and he said that my current HR made more sense to him then. I got the CAT scan and everything was normal so I was released with only a headache and some scraps from the fall.

I've since been told that your HR when admitted is important as it can be an indicator of possible problems and a raised HR can mean there may be internal bleeding. IF a person with a low RHR comes in and has a HR of 80, the physicians may think everything in normal when infact it is rather high for a fit individual.
Last edited by: Burnt Toast: Dec 18, 11 13:46
Quote Reply
Re: Road ID [Burnt Toast] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Your HR is noted as well as your other vital signs both by the paramedics and the ED. What is looked for is "changes from the field", in other words, significant mismatches between what the paramedics get in the field and what you present with in the ED. Both paramedics and ED docs take into account the uniqueness of an endurance athletes phisiology when they are doing their assessment. I would not waist space on a my Road ID noting my resting HR.

The other thing that I would not waist space on is blood type. Generally the ED will type/cross your blood regardless, but that may take over 30 mins to get back from the lab. Most EDs will give you O- to stabilize you while it is waiting for the labs to come back.

Just my thoughts.
-eric

Quote Reply

Prev Next