Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Road Bike for Triathletes
Quote | Reply
I had been doing triathlon for 3 years and I use a Cervelo P2C. this year I got a mountain bike but I don’t get to use it that much since the trails are far away from my house. Now my question is:

I’m thinking to replace my mountain bike and get a Road bike for cross training but I would like to know if you think the road bike help me on my training and performance or it will be the same as using my tri bike. I notice some triathletes have a tri bike for race and road bike for training.
Quote Reply
Re: Road Bike for Triathletes [SuperCervelo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I love riding my road bike. I would say unless you plan on group rides or crits, keep the mtn bike. or try to find a cheap used roadie where you can have a 3 bike stable.

There are plenty of used bikes here, ebay, etc. Keau
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I like the road bike for base miles, because I can't help but hammer on my tri bike. Its designed to be aero and to be ridden fast and hard, and that's what I do when I ride it. I like to ride my road bike to get lots of base miles in, and I also use the road bike as my crappy weather bike. I'll ride it in anything except ice. The tri bike is my sweet ride, and I keep it for nice weather days, races, and for the build phase leading upto races.

Proud Member of the Cervelo Mafia.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Perhaps consider getting a cross. Can still ride in groups, a little better for crappy weather, plus you can commute on it. If you have a lot of wheel sets to choose from this could be perfect.

I have a tri-bike, road bike, fixed gear, and a mountain bike. I am actually considering getting a cross, plopping my power cranks on it and commuting on it on some days that I don't feel like riding the fixed.

Since I have a road bike wheelset, I could swap it out for group rides, but I have a road bike so wouldn't have to, just saying... that's what you could do...

I did some pretty big base rides over the winter and there were a couple guys out there on their cross bikes with road tires who didn't have any problems and didn't want to ruin their $5000 road bikes.

As far as training goes, I think the more reasons you have to get on a bike the better your training will go.
Last edited by: j3ckyl: Mar 29, 07 21:15
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Personally, I would prefer to have a road bike and a mountain bike than a Tri bike and a road bike. You can add some clip ons and adjust your setup on many road bikes to get pretty aero for races, but get back to a road setup to put in some miles in training. The mountain bike is fantastic cross training. Works the muscles just differently enough to fill in gaps in your training, and works cardio differently as well. Plus, you can go mountain biking in a lot of weather you might not want to ride the roads in. I rode my mountain bike all winter long in RI when it just wasn't safe to ride on the roads. I'd reccomend keeping the MB. If you feel like you need a road bike, add that to your inventory, but don't get rid of the MB.

Slowguy

(insert pithy phrase here...)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
" I would like to know if you think the road bike help me on my training and performance"

From the recent Cycling Science Symposium. Explains why every triathlete should also have a road bike.

"Kautz was adamant that all triathletes should have both a road bike and a triathlon bike. That road bike, said Kautz, is better for recovery rides, group rides and for climbing. But perhaps more importantly, road riding develops core strength, while riding in a triathlon position does not. Furthermore, a road bike is a far more effective means of improving fundamental skills like working through a group, descending and riding with no hands while changing layers or eating. "
Quote Reply