Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Riding in Colorado w/ pics
Quote | Reply
After seeing what Austin has to offer triathletes, I thought I would submit some pics from my home base in Colorado. I am about 15 min. South of Denver and an hour South of Boulder. We have an awesome Master's program. Mon. Wed. and Fri. is taught by an Olympic Trials swimmer that coaches an elite juniors program as well. Tues and Thurs is run by Susan Williams, the bronze medalist from Athens. The trails are a good mix of true trail running w/ many paved paths cutting through open spaces. If you don't mind driving, you can start up in the mountains and run all day through several National Forests. The riding is great, as long as you like to climb. The pics are from a 5 hour ride I did in Feb. prepping for IM AZ. We often get a spell of great weather in the winter months and you have to take advantage of it. The first 2 photos are of the climbing itself. It starts in 1 canyon and early on it branches into 2 separate climbs. One is steady and totals about 15 miles, the other has some descents thrown in and is more like 20. Both top out at about 8500 ft. The third photo is the view of the Rockies from one of the crests, you see this view several times. The last is the view from the end of my ride. I live near the houses you can see on the right. No driving, just out the door and West into the mountains. Several of my running routes give me this view as well. On a clear day I can see Pikes Peak to the South, Red Rocks, Mt. Evans, the Boulder Flatirons and Longs Peak to the North. There is some flat riding to the East as well, but the views aren't as spectacular. Hope you enjoy.

http://img153.imageshack.us/...mage=dsc004334gm.jpg

http://img148.imageshack.us/...mage=dsc004340hr.jpg

http://img149.imageshack.us/...mage=dsc004367hk.jpg

http://img231.imageshack.us/...mage=dsc004435gz.jpg
Quote Reply
Re: Riding in Colorado w/ pics [cotri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
When were you in town dude? Congrats on IMAZ. Stop back in later in the year and we'll hook it up for some hammer fests... well... on the swim and bike at least. :-)

Thanks for the pics... will be out that way later in the summer for a Kona prep camp... riding and running alllll day long. Hell yeah!!!

36 kona qualifiers 2006-'23 - 3 Kona Podiums - 4 OA IM AG wins - 5 IM AG wins - 18 70.3 AG wins
I ka nana no a 'ike -- by observing, one learns | Kulia i ka nu'u -- strive for excellence
Garmin Glycogen Use App | Garmin Fat Use App
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
damn dude, beat me to it. i was planning on the same post. but i live an hour north of denver, in the foothills. its amazing to me how beautiful it is here. 20 minutes after leaving home on my bike, i can be into the mountains, struggling up a 15 mile long climb.

its really is great living on the front range.

"In case of flood climb to safety"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sounds really great. I am planning a training camp in the Boulder area the last week of August, have you got any suggestions on really good, long rides?

Jack

"Only those who risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Elliot | Cycle2Tri.com
Sponsors: SciCon | | Every Man Jack
Quote Reply
Post deleted by Administrator [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You win. :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
http://img148.imageshack.us/...mage=dsc004340hr.jpg

Deer Creek Canyon, right?

How nice it is to see that little barn come into view! The suffering is almost over then.
Quote Reply
Re: Riding in Colorado w/ pics [CPT Chaos] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sounds really great. I am planning a training camp in the Boulder area the last week of August, have you got any suggestions on really good, long rides?

Here are a couple.
  • Peak to Peak highway (huge elevation)
  • Ride north to Ft Collins and back (rolling and over 100 miles)

----
Don't hold back
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How long?

If you want a very challenging 56 mile ride, try riding from Idaho Springs up Mount Evans and back. Takes you up to 14,000 feet above sea level from 7500 ft in Idaho Spgs. Idaho Springs is about 30 minutes or so west of Denver right off I-70.

-------------------------------------
Steve Perkins
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Head out HWY 36(not really a highway) and go up Left Hand Canyon. This is the classic ride that is a must for everyone. It's about a 17 mile climb to a mountain town called Ward which is just shy of 9000 ft. Stop at the General store and you can either head back down, or ride north on the Peak to Peak Hwy. Peak to Peak has some good up and down terrain. When you come to the T at St. Vrain, you can head down into Lyons, about 15 miles from Boulder. This ride is very popular and you will see everyone from elderly weekend warriors, Cat. 1 riders and maybe some big guys like Tyler Hamilton or Tim DeBoom. It's a long day in the saddle, so be prepared. Also, in August storms can come in at any time. You can leave beautiful weather in Boulder and have driving wind and rain in Ward. Bring arm and knee warmers and a rain vest or jacket.
Quote Reply
Re: Riding in Colorado w/ pics [steveperx] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
We are planning on doing about 7 days of training with 5 or so with Epic distances (5-6 hours per) mixed in with some running and a bit of swimming. Mostly a cycling camp, but things tend to change when your planning 5 months out.

Anyone want to join the fun?

Jack

"Only those who risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Elliot | Cycle2Tri.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Another great variation on this ride is to start in Bergen Park, (start of the Triple,) go up to Echo Lake, down to Idaho Springs, then the trail to Kermits Bar, (maybe stop !) then up through Soda Creek Sub, back to the Start. A great Loop !
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Keep me informed. I might be in shape by then. I took WAY too much time off this year, and am REALLY struggling right now. I doubt I could even complete a 40 mile flat ride right now. I'd certainly be interested in joining you for a weekend ride. Unfortunately, work calls for the weekdays.

-------------------------------------
Steve Perkins
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
COTRI

What Master's program are you talking about?

You must be real close, I think the 3rd Pic is looking down on my house in Aspen Park! Looking for someone to ride with after you recover?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Will do. Mark down the weekend of 26-27 August.

Jack

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have been caught in Ward in a nasty thunderstorm. Scary stuff.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
if you go north, be sure to ride rist canyon and poudre canyon (both near ft collins, not too far from boulder). the ride up to estes park is very cool, too.

"In case of flood climb to safety"
Quote Reply
Re: Riding in Colorado w/ pics [tri_bri2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, it's Deer Creek. If you cross over 285 you can climb up to Indian Hills and into Evergreen. From there you can take several different ways back down.
Quote Reply
Re: Riding in Colorado w/ pics [Dbeitel] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The Master's Program is through the Rec Center. If you live in Highlands Ranch you can just show up. It's 40 bucks for the Mon, Wed, Fri. and I think 25 for Tues. Thurs. If you don't live in HR you can still join, but you have to sign in as a visitor and I don't know if the pricing is the same. It's an awesome program. Mon is distance, Wed. is IM and Fri is sprint. We usually cover 4k +. Every set is precisely laid out and there is little to no wasted time. Matt, the coach, has everything dialed in. The top lane does there sets on a 1 10 interval and the slow lane is around 2. There are 5-8 people that can swim sub 5 min. 500's. You will definitely become a better swimmer.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How about riding from Vail to Copper? Pretty amazing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nice pictures. Thanks for sharing.

------------------------------------------------------------
Searching for the bliss of ultimate exertion.
Quote Reply
Re: Riding in Colorado w/ pics [callidus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Very cool! Enjoy the beauty along the ride!

PT
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Anyone riding in the Eagle, Edwards, Avon area?

Anyone riding the Triple Bypass this year?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
beautiful!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
yup, austin blows that away. LOL

----------------------------------------------------
Striving to have sex more than 66 times per year
Quote Reply

Prev Next