Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Riding from San Diego to Long Beach
Quote | Reply
I'm thinking of riding from San Diego to Long Beach this weekend. I did this once before and got lost a couple times and caught up in a lot of traffic.

Does anyone have a good route, or link to a route I could follow. If anyone is interested in joining me, send me a note.

Stan
Quote Reply
Re: Riding from San Diego to Long Beach [stansd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey Stan,
Can't vouch for south of San Clemente, but from here north, to avoid max traffic, I'd tell you to turn right off PCH in Monarch Beach on Crown Valley, and then left on Alicia, and then pick up the Aliso Creek Bikeway at AWNA Road in Aliso Viejo. Take that all the way to Santiago Canyon, through the Canyon, and out to Jamboree. Then, find your way to the San Diego Creek Bikeway and take that to Newport Beach and then turn north on PCH through HB and up into LB. That's a WAY long way to make that ride, but it avoids Laguna Beach and gives you the scenic route through Santiago Canyon.

------------------
My business-eBodyboarding.com
Quote Reply
Re: Riding from San Diego to Long Beach [TriBodyboarder] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's an incredibly long detour (through Santiago Cyn). If avoiding Laguna is your goal, you could just cruise up Crown Valley, left on Alicia, left on Pacific Park, right on Aliso Creek and back down to the Laguna Cyn to PCH.

CDM will have a couple tight spots but it really isn't that bad. As for the traffic up in LB I have no idea how to miss it.

_______
t
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'd be interested in joining you for part of the trip depending on what day you're thinking of going. Just sent you a PM.

my twitter feed
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would just ride along the Ocean on PCH, except for Camp Pendleton where I would ride through the Camp. Remember your driver's license and they will let you through. Riding through Long Beach kind of sucks, if it is just and out and back kind of ride I would turn around at the "traffic circle" about 10miles North of Huntington Beach. After that circle you would head up the hill and enter the Southern part of Long beach. Long Beach is a dump and if you can avoid it, I would. I rode through it a couple of times and it's doable but I avoid it if I can. If you ride through it, just ride to your side and be careful of debris on the road. There is alot of stuff on the road and plenty of Trucks driving past you near as you approach the Long Beach Harbor. And remember that the cars there don't give a fuck about you.

Other than avoiding Long Beach you can stay on PCH. Wait...except after San Clemente you will ride on PCH towards Dana Point. About a 2mile stretch of PCH is closed to cyclists right now. Just take a right and you will go up a hill. Go straight for about 2miles and then you can take the road down (left) to PCH again.

�The greater danger for most of us is not that our aim is too high and we miss it, but that it is too low and we reach it.� -Michelangelo

MoodBoost Drink : Mood Support + Energy.
Last edited by: Mito Chondria: Aug 22, 06 18:47
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Where in Long Beach are you finishing the ride? City limits or deeper in LBC?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Weekends, for my recovery ride, I normally go up to Oceanside and back (from the beach areas in SD), but this weekend I am travelling

This is one of my favorite rides, I do it in L2-3,

lots of eye candy, cruising through the beach areas, especially now that it is warmer

Here is the exact route up: http://efgh.com/bike/old101.htm#north

From Qualcomm stadium to the 7-11 in San Clemente, and back, it is exactly 136 miles ...
Quote Reply
Re: Riding from San Diego to Long Beach [viking1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm actually heading to My grandma's place-she's about 2 miles from Cal State Long Beach (about 5 miles past Seal Beach)...would be happy to have company if someone is interested in taking the train back (my wife will be joining me there and then we'll drive back Saturday night).

Zac
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just rode from Irvine to Petco this past weekend, and ride the PCH all the time in Orange County. I assume you know how to get out of S.D., so I'll just start at Pendleton. As others have said, remember your driver's license. Depending upon what's happening that day, they may decide that they have to write down your information, eg, driver's license no., name, etc. That'll take a few minutes at most. Don't get frustrated at the grunts at the gate. They don't set policy. Here's a pictorial report from a guy that rode thru http://www.roadsites.org/losthwy/us-101_ca.html. Also, be aware that once in a while, they do close the base to civilian traffic. You can check its website to see the status.

Once through Pendleton, you'll ride north. No traffic worries until you get to Cristianitos in San Clemente, when you enter Orange County and get back on the road. You'll be on el camino real, and be riding on a road that has 2 lanes of northbound traffic, and two lanes of southbound traffic, with street parking on both sides. In short, it sucks through this stretch, especially through San Clemente, and the harbor area of Dana Point. Just remember through dana point harbor area that you don't follow the signs for PCH 1, because that will put you on the freeway. As for PCH thru laguna after 8:00 am, the riding really really sucks. Kind of spin as fast you can until you get past north laguna, at which point you'll be going thru crystal cove, which has a nice wide bike lane. When you get to corona del mar, the same crap happens with cars parked and two lanes of northbound traffic. It lets up right around Hoag hospital. From there, no worries until Main Street in Huntington Beach. As far as the detour suggested about Santiago Canyon, unless you want to go VERY long, that route doesn't make a lot of sense. You'll be adding a ton of miles to avoid about 8 miles of beach traffic. Pick your poison, although if you're really concerned, you could head up Crown Valley or Golden Lantern, pick up Moulton Parkway, until the bike trail in Irvine, and come in through the Back Bay at Newport Beach. Again, a lot of miles, and at Moulton near the golf course you lose the bike lane.

Once you're through Huntington Beach, just stay on the PCH. There's construction going on south of Warner at the bolsa chica wetlands. At that point, you can jump on the boardwalk and enjoy the scenery. you'll be doing it with tons of dogs, mt. bikes, runners, surfers and teenage bikini-clad women. Once north of HB, you could take a left at the jack n the box at warner and go through Seal Beach without much traffic. You'll pop back onto the PCH right about where the San Gabriel River starts. Stay on PCH for a bit, and you'll soon be at Bellflower/LB state.
Quote Reply
Re: Riding from San Diego to Long Beach [racerman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Extremely helpful...exactly what I needed....thanks racerman!
Quote Reply