Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Rides in Cibola Nat. Forest - For ABQ peeps
Quote | Reply
I'm doing a road trip (half drive, with a designated driver and half ride).

Day 1: El Paso to about 100mi before Albuquerque, jump in the car and run in ABQ.

Day 2: I want to ride in Cibola National Forest and do a short 45min run there. Planning on 3h or so on the bike only, then head out to Flagstaff.

Any suggestions for good riding there? Anyone interested in joining me for a ride that day?
Quote Reply
Re: Rides in Cibola Nat. Forest - For ABQ peeps [Francois] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Anybody?? No one rides there? Are there werewolf attacks?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Worse yet place is full of packs of wolves and is the season the rattlers are out. Watch out for the indians!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I hear there is a conveinance store on every corner. Just kidding dont want to offend anybody. Never been there but sounds like a nice ride wish I could do. Just bring some pepper spray just in case

Quote | Reply
Technically, Cibola National Forest seems to cover a lot of ground. Are you referring to the mountains east of Albuquerque?
Quote Reply
Re: Rides in Cibola Nat. Forest - For ABQ peeps [Todder] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm looking at the part west of ABQ actually, not east. I thought that Cibola National Forest was actually the mountain range west of ABQ,
off I-40, just past Grants, NM.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
When I looked up Cibola, it turns out it covers enough non-interlinked areas that they should just call it New Mexico National Forest and leave it at that...

I haven't really done much riding out there. The road to Mt. Taylor is a doozy and there is running up there (as is used in the Quadrathlon), but I don't know it well enough to give you directions. There is a larger forested area south of Grants that I have driven through a couple times - that may be what you are thinking of as well. I don't know the variety of roads in there. The main road is pretty, but not much climbing (if that is what you are interested in) and it would probably be scary on a bike because some cars haul ass through there if they are cutting through to get to NE Arizona. Fast driving + curved roads = fun for the driver, but probably dangerous for the bikers.

Sorry I couldn't be more helpful. I'm lazy living in ABQ - most rides are out the door. About the only rides I drive to are mountain bike (or races, of course.)
Quote Reply