Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Reynolds wheels
Quote | Reply
I searched on the forum looking for some review/comment/opinion on reynolds wheels, but wasn't able to find a specific thread, if I'm wrong my apologize.
I have no experience with the brand, but since I'm in the market for a pair of wheels for triathlon races and training, what are you thoughts about

2017 Reynolds Aero 80
2017 Reynolds rzr 92 (only tubular)

alternative
Zipp 808 NZR
Quote Reply
Re: Reynolds wheels [paolo.s] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RZR and the aero series are quite dated now. the aero series are very good in cross wind handling with a 58mm generally handling like a Zipp303 for example.
They were wide when they come out but others are wider now.
Paul Lew who designed both of those wheels is now at Edco wheels.
They use pointed style rims but use a trip edge molded into the rim near the rounded tip.
The RZR are basically a more easily manufactured version of his original Lew Wheels.
Braking on the lower end Reynolds like the Assult has never been good with many melted wheels in the field.
Both the higher level wheels are good in that department and I know of no heat related failures.
I think you will find that newer wheels are faster.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Over the years, I have had 3 sets of Reynolds wheels. No problems with any of them. I still have all 3 sets. I'm a 180b rider or less when in shape. Roughly 210 right now.

1. Older KoM wheels. Nice, Very light. Didn't use them much. Maybe 1500 miles. They were a smidge lighter than my original Zipp 202s with the reddest carbon. These have a 185 lb weight limit.

2. Older set of Assaults. Prior to the addition of the "swirl lip generator". Replaced rear hub with a Powertap G3 because I wanted to. Probably 20,000 miles on these wheels. They are my "everyday wheels" on one of my bikes.

3. 2014 RZR 92s. Fairly wide rims, 28mm, iirc. Reynolds still recommended 23mm tires at the time. Very light for super deep wheels. These were right at 1500gms. Not any tougher to handle than my original 808s which were tubular, too. Bought them because they were supposed 40s faster in a 40k than the 808s at the time. Were they? Who knows? But I did do my 2 fastest 40k's on them.

Unless the wheels are demonstrably faster and unless you don't mind gluing, or paying someone to glue tires, I'd stick with clinchers.
Quote Reply
Re: Reynolds wheels [FatandSlow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just got a like new 2nd hand set of Reynolds 58 / 72 Aero tubular wheels with just a few hundred miles on them for 80% off Retail prices.

Comparing these to the Zipp 404 Firecrest tubular wheels I have, I would pick the Reynolds.

The Reynolds are ....
- Lighter - They are right at 1300 grams
- Stiffer - They don't move side to side like the Zipp 404 are know to do
- Braking - Hands down the Reynolds are so much better, especially with the Reynolds Cryo Blue Power Brake Pads
- Better Quality - These things are a work of art
- Better Hubs - DT Swiss 240 VS Zipp hubs with know issues
- Wider - Not has wide as some of the current wheels but wider that the Zipp 404 Firecrest
- Faster - Its had to say but they do feel faster, and I have been setting new Strava PR's on every ride

On top of all that they just feel better all around, I have more confidence riding them, this brings miles of smiles.
Last edited by: KarlC: Mar 25, 17 16:55
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a set of Aero 72/90 Clinchers that I would love to sell.

Granted I am very ANTI-Reynolds after having purchased an Element disc and then this setup - but it has to do with their (lack of) customer service in my frustrated opinion.

I use the Aero's right now - but if I could sell them - I would... But I have to recover at least part of my original cost. The rear 90 is 1.5 years old (with minimal usage) and the front 72 is a bit older - but with equally little mileage.

This is the exact wheel set - it is the newest Aero with the etched black decals....

https://www.reynoldscycling.com/wheels/72-90-AERO-mixed-set

Quote | Reply
What was your issue with the disc? What tires do you have on them?
Quote Reply
Re: Reynolds wheels [jar70] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jar70 wrote:
I have a set of Aero 72/90 Clinchers that I would love to sell.

Granted I am very ANTI-Reynolds after having purchased an Element disc and then this setup - but it has to do with their (lack of) customer service in my frustrated opinion.

I use the Aero's right now - but if I could sell them - I would... But I have to recover at least part of my original cost. The rear 90 is 1.5 years old (with minimal usage) and the front 72 is a bit older - but with equally little mileage.

This is the exact wheel set - it is the newest Aero with the etched black decals....

https://www.reynoldscycling.com/wheels/72-90-AERO-mixed-set

I have found their customer service to be great actually. I have had a few rim failures (assaults) over the last 10 years. They hooked me up both times with no pushback. I am now on the newer assault tubeless rims and I have had no issues for the last few years.
I also raced aero 90s for tri and they felt fast/solid and had no issues.
Quote Reply
Re: Reynolds wheels [jimmyh49aus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was not happy with the warranty response I got from Reynolds HQ. I had an Element disc wheel. It was approx 2 years old. The hub became dislodged and shifted about 1-2cm. Rendering the disc unrideable. I had used it for a total of 3 races.

Reynolds response was that it was out of warranty. And they would offer me a partial contribution towards a new wheel (crash replacement).

I understand that this may be "industry" standard - but at the time I was very unhappy - especially given the number of wheels I had purchased from Reynolds. 4 in total.

I felt that this was clearly a manufacturing issue and there is evidence that it has been a reoccurring issue with this particular wheel (I found the exact same issue on at least 2 different YouTube videos).

But I have returned to the industry leader in race wheels (Zipp) and have never had an issue with any Zipp wheels throughout my triathlon experience. (20 years). I also appreciate the quick and helpful customer service I get from Zipp and their willingness to replace defective parts years after warranty may have expired (for example the latest recall on hubs and skewers).

I just felt that the wheel was defective and that it should have been replaced full stop. But perhaps I just expected too much.

For the price of the Reynolds wheels - but very comparable to Zipp....I would always recommend Zipp over Reynolds. Hands down.

However, I realize this could simply be my experience...it just left a bitter taste in my mouth.

I always run GP4000s on my wheels.

Thanks.

Quote | Reply
Damn, i just ordered the 2016 disc. Wish me luck haha.

What width tire did you use?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The RZR are like their pro models that only pros ride. You don't want to mess with carbon spokes.

The Aero 80s are brand spanking new and on par if not faster than 808 NSW. Reynolds wrote a white paper several years ago about why they make their rims more knife edged compared to Zipp's more rounded rim profiles. The paper explains how both yield very similar results. Reynolds aero 80s are personally my dream wheels.
Quote Reply