Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Reynolds eighty one - opinions
Quote | Reply
Hi,
I'm buying my first pair of carbon wheels for an IM 70.3.
I've been offered a pair of used reynolds eighty one for about half the price of used zipps (606).
Are these good wheels? Are they (much) slower compared to the zipps?
Thanks for the help!
Quote Reply
Re: Reynolds eighty one - opinions [denissw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi,
I have a set of reynolds 66/81 carbon clinchers that I used for a few years. They seem to be well built and the braking was ok with the specific reynolds pads, although in the wet they weren't great but I suspect most carbon clinchers are in the same boat. I am a bigger triathlete, about 90kg and train in an area of Melbourne that is pretty windy and the biggest issue was the front 66mm rim catching gusts of wind. In comparison to my old Dura ace c50 this was more noticeable. Currently I have a Swissside Hadron 625 front and this is a lot smoother in windy conditions and rarely catches the wind. I think going to a reynolds 81mm deep front wheel with the older design would be a real handful in the wind. As for speed, they felt as fast as anything I have previously used but I think their older narrow rim shape design is too affected by windy conditions.
Cheers
Simon.
Quote Reply
Re: Reynolds eighty one - opinions [Sanchez1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
simon thanks for the answer! it helped a lot!!
I don't live in a really windy place like melbourne (I know how it is, I lived there for a year haha)
In brazil we almost don't see people using reynolds thats why I have a big question on the brand.
Cheers!
Quote Reply
Re: Reynolds eighty one - opinions [denissw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have owned 81's in the past and really liked them, also in very windy conditions. strong wheels with great dt swiss hubs.
Sam
Quote Reply
Re: Reynolds eighty one - opinions [sgy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks Sam! I was also worried about the deep rim in the front wheels, good to know that is not a big problem... I'm doing a HIM in july in a windy place...
Quote Reply