Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Reynolds 953--1kg steel frame
Quote | Reply
Who knows how it rides but its light and its steel, and that is pretty cool.

short article at:

http://www.cyclingnews.com/...results/australia051

EDIT: Oh yeah, and its stainless steel.

eddie
Last edited by: YoEddie: Oct 24, 05 7:21
Quote Reply
Re: Reynolds 953--1kg steel frame [YoEddie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
During or right after Interbike I posted a question asking about 953 that I don't think got any replies. Anyway, there is alittle info on ifbikes.com.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
<By any measure, a 1000g steel frame is a jaw-dropping achievement. What's made it possible is the extremely high strength of this new material, which Reynolds describes as a "maraging stainless steel, specially manufactured for Reynolds by Carpenter SpecialtyAlloys, USA". 'Maraging' is a hardening and strengthening treatment applied to a class of high-nickel steels. After it's been treated, the ultimate tensile strength of 953 is 1750 to 2050MPa, depending on exactly how long it spends in the over and at what temperature. The strongest steels in widespread use before 953 - air-hardening steels such as Reynolds own 853 - had ultimate tensile strengths of 1200-1400 MPa,while good grades of regular chromoly run 900-1000MPa. A stronger material means you can use less of it, of course, and 953 has tube walls as thin as 0.3mm.>

Price: What does $4,000 AUS equate to in US dollars?

Quote | Reply
Looks like steel is on the way back. I'm excited.
Quote Reply
Re: Reynolds 953--1kg steel frame [last tri in 83] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Approx 3 grand.
Quote Reply
Re: Reynolds 953--1kg steel frame [last tri in 83] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"...and 953 has tube walls as thin as 0.3mm"

-----------------------------

Anyone else concerned about their tubeset being about as thick as foil? I'm sure that'll hold up well to travel :-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
some more pics available here and here.

I dunno. Part of what I thought I liked about steel was low-cost... At this price point, I dunno, there's something about Ti that I'd rather have.
Quote Reply
Re: Reynolds 953--1kg steel frame [deechee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm like you and like Ti. Ti has staying power. Excellent Ti frames are avail for around $1k USD now. I believe Litespeed has one out that weighs 770 grams. Not sure of its cost. But, I think when the dust settles, Ti will be the material of chose. Afterall, its been around since the 1950's. Maybe not for bike frames, but the material has proven itself over and over again in the aerolines and space industry.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hm.....

The better fencing blades that I own are made of maraging steel. They cost about twice as much as a regular blade, but they last 3-4 times as long, and when they finally break it's more likely to be a "flat" break instead of a "sharp" break, so they're safer. Oh, maraging steel also resists rust a lot better (in fencing blades that is. I have no idea what the "regular" steel used in blades is).

Of course, blades are designed to bend on a hit, and bend the same way every time. A blade is a lot safer and will last long if it always bends up on a hit instead of up on one hit, then down on the next, then up. Flexes the same way every time.

I have no idea how much correlation can be made from fencing blades to steel frames.

Your favorite mafia sucks.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
deechee.

you are corresct in placing this frame against a titanium one. the cost of 953, particularly the costs associated with its fabrication are going to make the bike a Ti competitor, much more than steel. its numbers for strength, and weight etc are actually very good compared to Ti, as well.

the main benefit it offers over Ti is in ride character - most of "ride" quality is derived from tubing diameter, and 953 will allow for smaller diameters than Ti, hence a more sprightly and "alive" ride which many prefer.

the biggest downside is going to be related to the ultra-thin wall thicknesses. greater chance for a dinged tube.
Quote Reply
Re: Reynolds 953--1kg steel frame [t-t-n] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, I've heard about the ride character. One of these days I'll be able to own & ride a Ti bike and "feel" the difference. I guess its nice that there's still some R&D put into steel; I just wish more manufacturers would work with it. (I love my Serotta CIII) Speaking of stainless steel, I'm suddenly reminded of a great application but which never really took off...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
that's crazy... Super light, and .3mm walls! For that, I'd rather get a ghisallo, 660gr in Ti, with thicker walls. It remains to be seen how stiff this frame is, and with .3mm walls it takes away much of steels touted durability over other materials. Also, I have been told by a singapore producer that this frame can be had from the factory at around 1200$, so significantly under what this labelled company is charging.
Quote Reply
Re: Reynolds 953--1kg steel frame [cerveloguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The only problem is, while you can increase its strength, you cannot increase its stiffness.

Gerard Vroomen
3T.bike
OPEN cycle
Quote Reply
Re: Reynolds 953--1kg steel frame [bshanberg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I'm like you and like Ti. Ti has staying power. Excellent Ti frames are avail for around $1k USD now. I believe Litespeed has one out that weighs 770 grams. Not sure of its cost. But, I think when the dust settles, Ti will be the material of chose. Afterall, its been around since the 1950's. Maybe not for bike frames, but the material has proven itself over and over again in the aerolines and space industry.

Steel has the highest modulus to weight ratio of any of the major bike fabrication metals (not sure about carbon). It is also easier to weld than aluminum or or Ti, which reduces fabrication costs. Even high end Reynolds tubing is cheaper than Ti as far as materials costs go, so as long as price has some bearing, Ti will never be the material of choice.

The material of choice unfortunately seems to have more to do with marketing and public percpetion than facts. Such myths include that steel is flexy, Al stiff and that Ti is some super material (Most of its most exotic properties are not as useful in bikes as they are in aerospace, ie extremely high melting point).

This explains the unforutnate demise of the Cervelo Superprodigy. Great frame, great price, not as sexy as Carbon or Al, so no market.

"When I first had the opportunity to compete in triathlon, it was the chicks and their skimpy race clothing that drew me in. Everyone was so welcoming and the lifestyle so obviously narcissistic. I fed off of that vain energy. To me it is what the sport is all about."
Quote Reply
Re: Reynolds 953--1kg steel frame [IronyMan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
[reply]Approx 3 grand.[/reply]

Weight weanies unite!!!!

)For less, you can get a custom Waterford that weighs about 1.3-1.4kg. EAt a little less and get the Waterford.)

Take everything I say with a grain of salt. I know nothing.
Quote Reply
Re: Reynolds 953--1kg steel frame [docfuel] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
it is a sure bet that w-ford will be offering a 953 frame sometime soon.
Quote Reply
Re: Reynolds 953--1kg steel frame [t-t-n] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Probably.

I wish I could get one of their current frames, or a Rex.

When they offer one in their Gunnar bikes, or when I get a whole bunch of extra money, I might look into it.

Quote Reply
Re: Reynolds 953--1kg steel frame [bryce_d] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It is used for some golf clubs. an alternative to the really expensive Ti heads

Quote Reply
Re: Reynolds 953--1kg steel frame [Tri_yoda] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"This explains the unforutnate demise of the Cervelo Superprodigy. Great frame, great price, not as sexy as Carbon or Al, so no market. "

I hope Gerard steps in to clarify, but it was my impression that they were selling every Superprodigy they made, but it's demise came more so because they had trouble with the tubing suppliers.

It really was a great frame.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
20+ years to shave a pound off a steel frame. Whoopee. How light is 853 anyway? Maybe 1.5 kg for a frame I am guessing. Tange Prestige, etc. was well under 2 kg, close to 1.5 kg I think. Not saying I wouldn't want that frame though.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have four Ti bikes and three steel bikes and I doubt I could tell the difference in bikes if the geometry and wheels were the same.
Quote Reply