Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Reynolds 725 vs 853
Quote | Reply
I am looking at building up a new frame for my primary road bike. I am looking at a few frames, but I primarily interested in the Genesis Equilibrium 725, 853, the Cinelli Experience, and the All City Mr. Pink (853). I am familiar with the ride of an aluminum frame, but what are the differences between 725 and 853? Is it worth the extra cash?
Quote Reply
Re: Reynolds 725 vs 853 [ironcode] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not a bunch of steel is real folks on this forum but I hope you get a few replies.

I have never rode 725 but I have an All City Nature Boy 853 and it is a fantastic frame. It's technically a cyclocross frame but I use it for gravel road riding. It really eats up bad road surfaces, just a very nice, comfy, rock solid ride. The fit and finish on All Citys are pretty good too. Welds, paint, rear dropout design are all top notch on my frame.

They offer this frame in I think chromoly as well but the upgrade to 853 was well worth the money in my mind. Iv'e owned a few tig welded cheaper steel framesets and this bike is light years more comfortable. It's been a very good bike and a worthwhile purchase.
Quote Reply
Re: Reynolds 725 vs 853 [talking head] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think it's a bit of a market ploy when Reynolds refers to 725 as "Chrome-Moly" and 853 as "Manganese-Moly" when both 725 and 853 contain chrome and molybdenum. Other than the Burley Rumba I rode with my kids when they were little, the last "steel" bike I had was a 531 Paris-Sport 1000, circa 1972.
Quote Reply
Re: Reynolds 725 vs 853 [talking head] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
953 exists as well. Columbus osx platinum steel is what my lemond tubes are made from.

853 is pretty old stuff at this point. Not saying it's bad just older.

Titanium?
Quote Reply
Re: Reynolds 725 vs 853 [clutchy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
953 and Ti are out of my budget unless you can find a frame to build up for under $700.
Quote Reply