Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Review: Velofix Bike Maintenance Toronto
Quote | Reply
Recently I posted a thread on here looking for a good local bike mechanic to work on my Felt "Super Bike". I got a reply to try the Velofix service and even though at first I was a bit skeptical I decided I'd give it a try. For me it turns out I had dealt with the Velofix mechanic (Sid) previously. Now I know this won't cover a lot of you at the moment but rest assured in the coming months and years you will be seeing this brand so it will become relevant.

So first off the basic principal of the service is to reduce the stress needed to get your bike fixed. They have a mobile workshop that you book time with and they come to you. No more trips to the bike shop, no more waiting to get your bike serviced ahead of other more vocal customers. You get a time slot allocated to solving your issues and/or they take the bike and drop it back off when complete. Sounds good right? It's better than good and here is why; the personal touch. You interact with the mechanics and you can get honest feedback. Part recommendations are organic because they aren't affiliated with a brand of bike or trying to clear out old stock. They give you solutions not sales pitches. They get to know you as a rider which to me speaks volumes about their staff.

For me I've had 3 bookings now (with a 4th coming up) and each one has been informative, fun and a genuinely pleasurable experience. Gone are the snobby replies from a "know it all" guy in the back of the shop. Each of the mechanics are ambassadors for the brand and take great pride in being a part of the revolution of bike maintenance. During my visits we did a variety of tasks from a gear reindex, retention cabling to a full on Di2 conversion on a high end aero road bike (read: pain in the ass). Not once did I feel like my mechanic wasn't loving every minute of the process. Pricing of the parts are in line with most other shops in the city as were the service fees.

Lastly and more of a "cool" factor is that the greatest modern Canadian triathlete, Simon Whitefield, is an investor and adviser. Because of that you know they get us triathletes and all our crazy character traits. If you're in the GTA (and other parts of Ontario) I recommend giving them a try for yourself. I'm not affiliated in any way with them but the experience is something worthy of sharing with others. I'm also certain you'll see others attest to their positive experience with the team at Velofix.

/end of rant

------
"Train so you have no regrets @ the finish line"
Last edited by: cshowe80: Jun 29, 15 6:09
Quote Reply
Re: Review: Velofix Bike Maintenance Toronto [cshowe80] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Its funny you mention this as I read about this and had seen Simon and other investors on Dragons Den awhile back. Last week when I was driving home I noticed a Velofix van just down the from my house in Calgary. Great concept.

Twitter@Forsey37
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks - good to know - sounds way better then the time I waste traveling to bike shop, waiting in line, traveling home - then repeat to fetch the bike - I'll give them a try.

Advocating for research & treatment for Myalgic Encephalomyelitis (ME).
http://www.meaction.net/about/what-is-me/

"Suck it up, Buttercup"
(me, to myself, every day)
Quote Reply
Re: Review: Velofix Bike Maintenance Toronto [Scotttriguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks cshowe, I live in Toronto as well and you've sold me on the brand and experience. I need some work done soon so I will make sure to come back here and post about the experience.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Rats. Nothing near me in K-W. This is a fantastic idea, as it _is_ a hassle getting the bike out to the shop and waiting a week or so during busy periods for it to get serviced.

They seem to have international franchisees already though, for ST's american readers: There are locations in Boulder, Santa Monica, and Hawaii.

STAC Zero Trainer - Zero noise, zero tire contact, zero moving parts. Suffer in Silence starting fall 2016
Last edited by: AHare: Jun 27, 15 8:02
Quote Reply
Re: Review: Velofix Bike Maintenance Toronto [Forsey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've seen one parked at the spot where cyclists usually park on 22x West of Spruce Meadows on a Friday afternoon. He seemed to be catching a lot of the mtb business heading out to West Bragg or Moose mountain.

Quote Reply
Re: Review: Velofix Bike Maintenance Toronto [AHare] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
From what I've been told they a are going to be rolling out a number of vans in the coming months. I'd assume Guleph and K-W will get a franchise shortly.

------
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
appointment booked for tomorrow

will update afterwards
Quote Reply
Re: Review: Velofix Bike Maintenance Toronto [ptakeda] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I had Velofix by for a tune up on a commuter last night. Funny he was telling me about your Di2 swap. Nice guy, great service, pricing is a little steep but you can't beat the convenience.
Quote Reply
Re: Review: Velofix Bike Maintenance Toronto [Coreyp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Coreyp wrote:
I had Velofix by for a tune up on a commuter last night. Funny he was telling me about your Di2 swap. Nice guy, great service, pricing is a little steep but you can't beat the convenience.

nope, not me. i wish i had a Di2 to swap

their pricing looks similar to Gears Toronto, except I don't have to haul my bike down there and then call the shop several times to see if my bike is ready
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Mike came by my house and worked on my bike while I went for a run. Very convenient. Prices were in line with LBS but without the hassle

highly recommend Mike and his services

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sounds like a great service. Here in SoCal, most of the best wrenches have figured out what they're worth and are working independent of the bike shops. Some mobile, some not.

What I can't figure out is why shops haven't jumped into online scheduling. There are many cloud-based schedulers which are cheap and easy to set-up & use. Think of all the space shops use to store bikes waiting for service; they're paying for that sq footage and it's not making them a dime as those bike sit there for 1 or 2 weeks. If service was scheduled, they could cut down on that space, or use it for selling product, and clients would be much happier with a one day turnaround. So much easier, reduced overhead, more profit, and yet no one seems to get it. Good for Velofix and those like them.

Jim Manton / ERO Sports
Quote Reply
Re: Review: Velofix Bike Maintenance Toronto [Jim@EROsports] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree with you. I'm very diligent and planned out and still my LBS has had troubles making timelines. I'm a patient guy and I always have another bike to ride but I also am a frequent customer. I don't expect special treatment but if you know me (which they do) you know I'm all about setting my expectations and then informing me if those have changed.

The online booking combined with the full attention of the Velofix staff drowns out that noise and allows you to get to work. They also have a kick ass sound system to keep the mood set. So far no Barry White has been played lol.

------
Last edited by: cshowe80: Jun 29, 15 6:16
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm a big fan of Velofix. Nick Dicristofaro of Velofix North Toronto is a pleasure to work with. His work is top notch. Prices match those of local bike shops, but the convenience wins hands down. Plus, I personally know the mechanic working on my bike ... I know he's good at what he does and trust him, which is important when you are riding far away from home, travelling at 70 kph + on a descent or racing in a sketchy crit.
Last edited by: Ffejeroo: Jun 29, 15 6:52
Quote Reply
Re: Review: Velofix Bike Maintenance Toronto [Jim@EROsports] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What I can't figure out is why shops haven't jumped into online scheduling

Jim,

Where to begin talking about bikes shops lack of sophistication? However, let's not paint with a completely broad brush here - many shops are operating as a business should in 2015 to compete, but many others are woefully behind the times!

Regarding Velofix - watch-out, they are really on a roll now and, are going to be a growing and disruptive force in the bike servicing market/business!

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Re: Review: Velofix Bike Maintenance Toronto [AHare] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
We don't want Kitchener-Waterloo to feel left out! If you want to get a group of friends together, we will go to you for the day. Sure we are in Toronto, but if we can make sure more people get a better ride, it's worth it to us. Email me at: karen@velofix.com. Karen Ingham
Quote Reply