Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Rev 3 Poconos
Quote | Reply
Anyone else do Rev 3 Poconos? I did the half and I must say it was an awesome race. Delaware River water was great and swim course well marked. Bike course simply beautiful and CLOSED TO ALL CARS!!!! And 99.9% of the run course was in the SHADE. Thanks to all the volunteers and Rev 3 staff. Always putting on a great race.
Quote Reply
Re: Rev 3 Poconos [russell_marks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I did half as well. Very good organization, kudos to Rev3!

It's my second HIM and I don't have enough experience to compare it with other races. I did Timberman 70.3 in 2015 and I think Poconos course is much more difficult. My bike split was slower and the hills on the run were a big surprise.
Quote Reply
Re: Rev 3 Poconos [ask77nl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The run course was the toughest I've done outside of Savageman. Tough bike as well, and even having to swim through the sea grass made the swim somewhat difficult. Overall nice test for fitness.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My son and I did the Olympic. We agree it was an awesome event from start to finish. Their staff and volunteers are definitely top notch.

I must say the hill in the woods was less than fun, but we all had to go up and down it, so its fair :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Did the oly relay with my sister. It was her first time as part of a multi sport race. She usually is my Sherpa or runs marathons. We had a blast. Loved the bike course! Especially since I knew I didn't have to run afterwards. Looking forward to Rev3 Maine in a few weeks!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fantastic event. Did the half, which is now my new favorite bike course - a couple of tough climbs and then a bunch of rollers, mostly gentle, all closed to car traffic. The run course made Quassy's look easy, but it was in a nice area and mostly shaded. It was the first time I thought I would need to take a break WALKING up a hill. As I've found with every Rev 3 race I've done, outstanding support and volunteers and beautifully managed. I suspect this one's going on my I'll do it every year list.
Quote Reply
Re: Rev 3 Poconos [Jelana] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I read elsewhere there were 286 finishers. I hope that is sufficient for a 'next year.'
Quote Reply
Re: Rev 3 Poconos [HuffNPuff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I hope so, too. This was such a well-organized event that was both fun and challenging. I can't see a reason for it not to be more popular (except for the obvious branding stuff). I did the 70.3 in 2011 when it was IM -- totally different race with a vastly different course. I wonder if a lot of people don't realize how much it has improved.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
286 in the full. about as many in the half + some relays, aquabikers, etc.

Somewhat surprising considering it's super close to both Manhattan and Philly, but people don't love 2 transition races, and it's just far enough that it likely requires lodging. As folks mentioned in the posts above - it was a pretty well run race, and a very very challenging run.

Thoughts on being an Urban Triathlete
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
286 finishers in the half. Total participation across all race options was just north of 600.
Quote Reply
Re: Rev 3 Poconos [noofus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That sounds pretty healthy...hope it grows!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did the half and thought it was a great race. Rev3 did an awesome job. Loved the bike course - just thought the run / 2 hills on the path were kind of ridiculous.
Quote Reply
Re: Rev 3 Poconos [smitty3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Based on the comments here, I am guessing that this would not be a good first Olympic distance race...or am I wrong? I was contemplating doing a few sprints next summer and making this my first Olympic distance race. Thoughts? Anyone done the Olympic in Maine (I know a few people doing the half that day, so doing the oly could be an option for me). If the consensus is it will be a tough first Olympic distance then maybe Ill put it off to 2018 with Quassy.
Quote Reply
Re: Rev 3 Poconos [cdoug55] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There will not be an olympic in Maine this year; just a half.

Team Zoot
2019 Sponsors: Canyon Bikes, Garmin, Smith Optics, Gatorade, Zealios Skin Care & Sun Protection, Speedfill Products, Base Performance, Ottolock, Theragun, Boco Gear, ORR Carbon Wheel Systems, Giddy Up Multisport
Quote Reply
Re: Rev 3 Poconos [rsmoylan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rsmoylan wrote:
There will not be an olympic in Maine this year; just a half.

Just saw that, sorry. That's pretty disappointing to see because I have heard good things about the Rev3 races, but now it looks like they are going out to sea. Hope Quassy (Olympic) is still around for 2018.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The Pocono race will be in a new location this year, but still a challenging course because, well, it's the Poconos. In any case all previous course descriptions are now obsolete.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Any details on the course changes vs last year? Is it just the run course being changed, or everything?
Quote Reply
Re: Rev 3 Poconos [TJL3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TJL3 wrote:
Any details on the course changes vs last year? Is it just the run course being changed, or everything?

Everything is changing. The National Park Service changed their rules about when roads can be closed, so rather than fight them on it the whole race is being moved a bit to the west. This will be happening at the Split Rock Resort not far from Jack Frost/Big Boulder. So there is nothing in common with the old course.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So then I am assuming the course maps have not been updated yet.

You have a decent amount of info noofus, are you associated with Rev3 or just know someone there?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
cdoug55 wrote:
So then I am assuming the course maps have not been updated yet.

You have a decent amount of info noofus, are you associated with Rev3 or just know someone there?

I just know the people there. And yes they haven't updated the Pocono maps yet, they are still working out the details of the change.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You think they can get a 1.2 mile swim in Lake Harmony? That is a tiny little pond.
Quote Reply
Re: Rev 3 Poconos [kny] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
kny wrote:
You think they can get a 1.2 mile swim in Lake Harmony? That is a tiny little pond.

Lake Harmony is just shy of 1 mile long across its long lobe, and about half a mile long on the shorter lobe. It shouldn't be too hard
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
New course maps are up. Looks like there is a heck of a lot more elevation than on the new bike/run course.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'd like to hear if anyone knows these roads, it looks hilly AF, two loops of it for half would be 4000'+ total climbing. I did Poconos oly last year, what killed me were the 3 or so reeealy steep pitches before getting out to 209. My garmin read 20%+ on 3 occasions (29% at one spot). Looking at strava and street view quickly for new course, most of the climbs look more gentle and gradual and if that's the case, 4000' may not bother me so much. Anyone know these roads to comment on these hills?
Quote Reply
Re: Rev 3 Poconos [PBT_2009] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi Everyone. I rode and ran the new course on this past Friday. The new location is at Split Rock Resort - about 20 miles west of Shawnee.

The course maps are now on the Rev3 site. A couple of thoughts.

1) Lake Harmony is definitely big enough for the swim and there is a nice beach for the swim start/exit.

2) I did one loop of the Bike Course. Its about 27.5 miles per loop so a slightly long Oly or shortish Half. It's not flat. But here is my take on the course. The roads are smooth, wide and and in great shape. There are only a few turns. The first 10 miles are mostly down. And the downhills are fast. The best part about the downhills are you can really hammer since there are no tight turns and they bottom out to straight roads. Now there are some climbs, after all it is the Poconos! But the climbs for the most part aren't the lung searing, stand on your pedals and hope you don't fall down. Most of the climbing from mile 12-24 is gradual steady state. I think the course is easier than Quassy even though you have more elevation.

3) The run course is either 2 or 4 loops. But unlike a lot of multi loop courses, loops double back- so your family will see you a lot, like 3-4 times per loop. Very spectator friendly. Coming out of T2 you have a short 200 meter steep punchy climb, but then an easy downhill to recover. Miles 2 and 3 are rolling. Each loop is on pavement and has is about 75% shaded.

Compared to the old course, the swim will be more like Quassy instead of the Delaware. And a much shorter run from Swim Exit to T1. I think the old Oly bike course was harder while the new half course is a bit more challenging, But definitely not nearly as hard as quassy. I think the run is the real gem- even with the short climb on each loop. Easier than the McDade trail and definitely easier than the run at Quassy.

And this is a single transition race!
Last edited by: dsmith1031: Nov 15, 16 18:37
Quote Reply

Prev Next