Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Rev3 Williamsburg Run Course Change
Quote | Reply
Looks like this has changed significantly from last years' course. Can Charlie (or anyone local) provide an update on the new run course. Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: Rev3 Williamsburg Run Course Change [warrior_80] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am not local, but they changed all of the courses.

The swim will be an in water swim start in more of a P shape vs the triangle shape of last year. They also moved where T2 and the finish line area (they are outside of town now no longer on W&M campus). T1 and swim start are at the same location as last year so the very first part of each bike course is the same. The half course only shares a little bit of the same course as the Oly. The Oly is now different as well and involves doing part of the course from last year, backwards and as a loop (do that section of the course twice). The run is a loop course, 2 loops for Oly, 4 for the half.
Last edited by: newTrigirl2012: Apr 18, 14 11:49
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's not as hilly as last year's run course, and the bike course they got rid of the left across the course, (my biggest issue with the course from last year, as there were people still going out onto the course about mile 3 whereas I had to make a left across them at mile 19ish)

IG: idking90
Quote Reply
Re: Rev3 Williamsburg Run Course Change [iank] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Promoting last years' run course as "flat and fast" was well beyond misleading.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
newtrigirl spoke of some of the changes well.....thanks!

Yes, the run course is entirely new as a result of moving T2 and our expo to Warhill Sports Complex which is just a few miles from Colonial Williamsburg. This run course will be on a combination of running trails and running paths throughout this complex to provide a lot of shade and be very spectator friendly. Our finish line and Expo will be located inside their sports stadium on astro turf and stadium seating, along with concessions making it very spectator friendly. There will be plenty of parking for athletes and spectators at Warhill and plenty of buses will be provided for transportation to T1. We have also created additional parking opportunities near T1 and easy access back to T2 for those spectators that want to take their cars. We believe the move to this complex is a huge upgrade to our location last year.

Due to last year's fluke microburst weather pattern and tough swim, we redesigned the swim course to take into account if something like this were to happen again. The course can easily be reversed to favor the current for the swimmers.

Two bags (Dry Clothes and swim to bike) will be provided to each athlete and transportation from T2 to T1. A new revised logistical plan will have your two bags waiting for you at your transition spot by the time you finish the race, leaving no need to search for your bags or go back to T1 for any reason.

The bike course needed to be modified to accommodate the new location of T2/finish, however its a rolling course with no major climbs with some fast sections.

I think you will enjoy the changes we made and will find that your day and your spectator's day will be very smooth.

As always, feel free to ask any additional questions you may have.

Eric
Rev3 National Race Director
Quote Reply
Re: Rev3 Williamsburg Run Course Change [LMT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Excellent

Weather permitting plan on riding it next Saturday

All I Wanted Was A Pepsi, Just One Pepsi

Team Zoot, Team Zoot Mid-Atlantic

Quote Reply
Re: Rev3 Williamsburg Run Course Change [LMT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
LMT wrote:
Our finish line and Expo will be located inside their sports stadium on astro turf and stadium seating, along with concessions making it very spectator friendly.

This is very, very cool.

Rusch Racing | website | @maggieru | Instagram
Ask me about: Alto Cycling | Cuore | Base Performance | XTERRA Wetsuits | Cadence Run Company | First Bourn. Coached by: Desert Dude

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wow, great course. I live in Williamsburg and that run course is perfect, very spectator friendly and flat... there's one section about a 1/4 mile long that goes up and down gradually by the pond right around the mile 2 mark on the run course map... nothing to be scared of for bigger guys (me), just enough to shake out the legs and mix it up.

Warhill is an awesome venue for this, tons of parking and using football stadium finish is pretty darn cool..... fairly new facility, big enough for hundreds of spectators but small enough for a great atmosphere. There's soccer/lax/baseball fields and a couple big playgrounds around Warhill just yards from the finish line that makes it very family friendly. Kudos to the organizers, very good choice.

love that new bike route too... very fast and flat for the first 15miles, a little bit out of the saddle before and after mile 20, then some long, pretty challenging rollers between miles 30-40, and a couple short steep-ish hills at mile 46 and 51, last 2 miles leading to T2 is net downhill/flat.

and to clarify, Warhill isn't really "outside Williamsburg".... I think the confusion comes from the fact that Williamsburg's downtown (colonial area) is it's own county, but Warhill is considered to be will within the community, it's only a half mile from Richmond Rd, tons of restaurants and hotels.

(Disclaimer: I have no connection to this race, just know the area very well)
Quote Reply
Re: Rev3 Williamsburg Run Course Change [newf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I rode the course yesterday and it is great. A couple thoughts/observations.

Be prepared to see road kill and watch out for turtles on the road.

Beware the railroad tracks at 24.9.

Some rough road surfaces throughout the course especially the out and back on Diascund Rd

The directions need amending, left over train tracks on Courthouse then right on Pocahontas.

From Centerville right on Opportunity Way.

Like I said great course, it should be very fast. I plan on doing a 2-3 rides From the start to Jolly Pond/Centerville and back later this summer

Quote Reply
Re: Rev3 Williamsburg Run Course Change [maggieru] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
maggieru wrote:
LMT wrote:
Our finish line and Expo will be located inside their sports stadium on astro turf and stadium seating, along with concessions making it very spectator friendly.

This is very, very cool.

that is awesome.....I might be doing the sprint to see where my fitness level is at after a long winter off!

"I would definitely smell her seat after a century ride"
Rappstar wrote:
That might be the post of the year right there.
Quote Reply
Re: Rev3 Williamsburg Run Course Change [shivermetimbers] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just as an FYI there is only an oly or half in Williamsburg, no sprint.
Quote Reply
Re: Rev3 Williamsburg Run Course Change [newTrigirl2012] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have family commitments that weekend or I would be there. I loved the venue and the vibe.... sure there were a few things that could have gone better and yes ... the swim and run were tougher than I expected. But even without changes i would have been back. However, looks like some great improvements have been made. While i cant be there, I am looking forward to the race reports and doing it again. As usual, thanks REV3 for being so open and responsive to feedback. Looking forward to POCONO!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
newf wrote:
Wow, great course. I live in Williamsburg and that run course is perfect, very spectator friendly and flat... there's one section about a 1/4 mile long that goes up and down gradually by the pond right around the mile 2 mark on the run course map... nothing to be scared of for bigger guys (me), just enough to shake out the legs and mix it up.

Warhill is an awesome venue for this, tons of parking and using football stadium finish is pretty darn cool..... fairly new facility, big enough for hundreds of spectators but small enough for a great atmosphere. There's soccer/lax/baseball fields and a couple big playgrounds around Warhill just yards from the finish line that makes it very family friendly. Kudos to the organizers, very good choice.

love that new bike route too... very fast and flat for the first 15miles, a little bit out of the saddle before and after mile 20, then some long, pretty challenging rollers between miles 30-40, and a couple short steep-ish hills at mile 46 and 51, last 2 miles leading to T2 is net downhill/flat.

and to clarify, Warhill isn't really "outside Williamsburg".... I think the confusion comes from the fact that Williamsburg's downtown (colonial area) is it's own county, but Warhill is considered to be will within the community, it's only a half mile from Richmond Rd, tons of restaurants and hotels.

(Disclaimer: I have no connection to this race, just know the area very well)

Sounds like the Rev3 is going to align more with what the Patriot does, at least in terms of the run. Is that a fair assessment, Newf?
Quote Reply
Re: Rev3 Williamsburg Run Course Change [tmshokie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
execept for the T-1 and small parts of the bike there is no similarity between REV3 and Patriots

Last edited by: Billabong: Apr 30, 14 8:58
Quote Reply
Re: Rev3 Williamsburg Run Course Change [Billabong] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Do not believe the Athlete guide when it says this is a flat course. The first 12 miles are slightly uphill 12-25 a little steeper, Richmond road lots of good fast rolling hills However, State Rte 610/VA-603 W/Diascund Rd is a nice long hill. The last five miles are not flat State Rte 632/Cranston’s Mill Pond Rd is a rather steep hill fortunately it comes after a steep down hill, once you crest the hill it is flat.

Quote Reply
Re: Rev3 Williamsburg Run Course Change [Billabong] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Billabong wrote:
... Be prepared to see road kill and watch out for turtles on the road. ...

Had to be said / posted

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CMNry4PE93Y
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Anyone have an idea what the water temp is likely to be for the race next week?
Quote Reply
Re: Rev3 Williamsburg Run Course Change [Lloyd_Christmas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
http://buoybay.noaa.gov/locations/jamestown
Try this link. I believe it is the correct location. It doesn't look like it will be wetsuit legal. And it's going to be a hot day.
Quote Reply
Re: Rev3 Williamsburg Run Course Change [kquantum] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank god. No overheating to worry about this year on the swim.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
kquantum wrote:
http://buoybay.noaa.gov/locations/jamestown
Try this link. I believe it is the correct location. It doesn't look like it will be wetsuit legal. And it's going to be a hot day.

That's the closest NOAA buoy, yes.
Last year it was pretty warm (can't remember how warm exactly, and I am on iPhone so don't want to navigate NOAA's website to figure it out) the few days leading up to the race as well, but ended up a magic 77*. To be fair, that buoy is not right along shore and we got rain the night before last year, both of which are things that can impact the local temperature where they dropped their thermometer.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
And now as of 0700 it's reading 79.2...so again, given that the buoy isn't actually on the course, it's not inconceivable they'll be able to find a 77.99999 degree spot of water.

Quote Reply
Re: Rev3 Williamsburg Run Course Change [iank] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
iank wrote:
And now as of 0700 it's reading 79.2...so again, given that the buoy isn't actually on the course, it's not inconceivable they'll be able to find a 77.99999 degree spot of water.

I have faith in the RD - He'll find a spot :) (or cancel the swim and we can have a duathlon)
Quote Reply
Re: Rev3 Williamsburg Run Course Change [B.McMaster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
http://www.jrava.org/jrw/ click the green dot nearest Williamsburg

Quote Reply
Re: Rev3 Williamsburg Run Course Change [B.McMaster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Careful Barry :)

Tim
Last edited by: TimAndrus: Jun 13, 14 16:37
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Loved the new run course. I honestly had no idea it was mostly gravel until the volunteers directed me to make that first left turn and said "watch out, it's gravel." At first I thought "ok, quick little gravel section to connect to another paved road or path"...and then we kept going. I liked the undulating course; it's certainly not the quickest run course around, but makes it a little less of a drag race.
Bike course I just wish they didn't have to use Jolly Pond Rd (for the Oly only, though last year it was on both) although this year's direction was a lot less sketchy than last year with the slightly shorter, smoother descent and longer climb as opposed to last year from what I recall.
Cheers to Rev3 for not accidentally spilling an icy water bottle next to the thermometer to decide wetsuit legality, too.
Overall, the new venue, while probably not quite as exciting as downtown Williamsburg/W&M campus, makes a lot more sense for an event like this. I'll most likely do it next year, as long as it doesn't conflict with Armed Forces or XTERRA Richmond, which I want to do at least once before I move away from Virginia later next summer.

Quote Reply

Prev Next