Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Rev3 Mt. Pocono
Quote | Reply
Did the Rev3 Mt. Pocono half yesterday and thought I'd post about the experience. It was an awesome race on an incredibly challenging course. The race organization was terrific, super friendly and efficient. It seemed to me they'd be extremely welcoming to newer racers which may be what the sport needs. Very nice family friendly approach to the race and I love the way they do the finishing chute inviting family/friends/pets to run down the last 100m or so with you.

The swim in Lake Harmony was straightforward. Only minor gripe was there was a short segment on the back end of the half course where it got shallow enough that my hand was hitting the bottom. That didn't last long and otherwise it was an easy swim.

Bike course was gorgeous rolling hills with some steep climbs. The first half or so of the course (used for the olympic folks) was really nice and seemed very fast. Riding onto Pocono speedway was super cool and fun. I think it was shortly after the olympic turned off that there was a long sustained descent where I hit mid-40s mph. Very fun but on a TT bike qualifies as an extreme sport. From there it got ugly with a ton of climbing. The last 20 miles were essentially all net uphill. Overall about 3000 feet of climbing on the bike course, the vast majority of which was in the last 20 miles.

Run course was four loops and you run past the start/finish twice per loop so it was awesome for spectating. However, it was really, really hard. About 1000 feet of climbing total for the half run. Each lap started with a short but very steep climb and right towards the end of each lap was a sustained long climb.

Weather was nearly perfect. Some decently heavy winds on the bike but no sustained brutal headwind. A lot of crosswind on deep wheels, but otherwise not horrible. Much of the run was nicely shaded. The day got into the low 80s, I think, but was never brutally hot. Nice thing about the loop course on the run is that there were a lot of aid stations and the volunteers where about as gung ho as I have ever seen. Super enthusiastic and wanting to make sure to get you what you wanted.

I think they said there were about 800 total competitors registered across the different races, 239 finishers in the half and 334 in the oly per results tracker. Overall I really enjoyed it and appreciate their putting on a great race.
Quote Reply
Re: Rev3 Mt. Pocono [sylvius] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
+1

I did the Olympic and thought it was a fun, well-run race in a great location. Rev3 runs like a well-oiled machine and, in my experience, does a good job of creating a festive atmosphere on the course and at the finish.

The swim entrance/exit on the dock was a little awkward, but that and the short shallow section are really the only negatives I can come up with. I was not prepared for those hills on the run, but that's on me.

The bike section on the raceway was surprisingly fun. I don't follow autosports of any kind, and wasn't especially excited for it, but it was definitely a cool experience for a triathlon.

Also, my bike file for the Olympic had me at only 980 feet of elevation gain, so you're definitely right that the majority of the climbing in the half came later in the race.
Quote Reply
Re: Rev3 Mt. Pocono [sylvius] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
We were there as well doing the Olympic. Loved the course. So much better than last year. Riding on the track was very cool (a lot like Fly-by-Night) where you ride on the Watkins Glen track.

Rev3 definitely knows what they are doing and they do an excellent job. Start to finish just a great organization full of good people.

Olympic distance races are hard to find by us so its great they are here and do them right.
Quote Reply
Re: Rev3 Mt. Pocono [B.McMaster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This was my first half in four years and I picked a good one! Fantastic bike course. Loved the NASCAR bit (it's like the Esprit race) and then the 4K descent at 75kph before the start of the long punctuated climbs. The last hills at 90-91k were a little crushing. And the run course was equally crushing, but in a good way. A total of 20 hills for the run course, plus one quad crunching downhill for each of the four loops. Recommendation for this race: be conservative on the bike or else you will dearly pay for it on the run. Great volunteers and a really well organized event. This was my first Rev3 event and the contrast between it and the Mdot events was marked (as in, Rev3 actually seems to care about the athletes). The swim might have been a little short (either that or I set a PB for swim time in a half). The 7 hour drive back to Ottawa the next day was painful...
Quote Reply
Re: Rev3 Mt. Pocono [peterkonecny] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You can't reference NASCAR and KPM in the same post. Its the Daytona 500, not the Daytona 806.5, I love NY at the Glen 355, not the I love NY at the Glen 572.6 - etc...
Quote Reply