Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Returning to Racing After Not Running -- Seeking Guidance
Quote | Reply
This is another question about returning to racing after taking time off. I dug around in the archives but didn’t see anything that really answered my question so I’m braving the main forum in search of your collective wisdom.

Short Version: I’ve been swimming and biking but haven’t run in 3 months, when/where can I race again?

Long Version: 2016 was my first triathlon season. I raced local Sprints and Olys as well as my first 70.3. In mid-June, I aggravated an old injury (hips/ nerves). I took three weeks completely off, started PT and rehab work as soon as possible, returned to swimming and biking after about a month, yoga a few weeks ago, and just started some light strength training. I should be cleared to run this week and can't wait to get back at it.

But, I haven't run for a quarter of 2016 and I want to be smart! I'm currently swimming ~6,000 yards a week -- mostly in the ocean with one pool workout (N.B. I have only been swimming since December). I’m biking ~100 miles a week -- one trainer workout and the rest on the road. I know I’ll have lost mechanical efficiency on my run, but I shouldn’t have lost ALL my aerobic fitness. And if it makes a difference, I have a running background and have come back to running before (just not to triathlon).

So, how many weeks do you think it will take for me to rebuild my run? When should I plan to return to racing? At what distance? (I swam and biked at a local Oly race over the weekend and had no issues)? What other information do you need to know?

Thanks in advance for any guidance or experience you can share.

(Formerly SoCalTricurious, now in the PNW).
Quote Reply
Re: Returning to Racing After Not Running -- Seeking Guidance [SoCalTricurious] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bump for a friend!

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: Returning to Racing After Not Running -- Seeking Guidance [SoCalTricurious] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you have not done any running for three months, I would build back up very slowly. The last thing you want to do is re-injure yourself. Because of the bike and swim, you have the cardio but your joints and muscles are not used to the pounding running provides. I was no running for six months but I biked a lot. I felt great, cardio wise, but my first few runs back made me ache (I'm 46 so my body doesn't recover like it used to). I started with one mile at a time for a week followed by two miles the next week. So, my first week, I ran 2 miles. Second week, 7 miles. Third week, ten miles. It took me about two months to build up to 30+ miles but that's because I chose to take it slow and easy (all my runs have been easy/aerobic). I'm not racing any this year because I feel like I'd push myself too much too soon. Whatever you do, just be careful and don't rush back into it too quickly
Quote Reply
Re: Returning to Racing After Not Running -- Seeking Guidance [eye3md] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks eye3md, appreciate the feedback. I'm relieved to hear that your cardio didn't take a hit and your rebuilding plan sounds smart.

Over the last two weeks I've done some open stride elliptical running (on an Adaptive Motion Trainer) but only one road run of an easy 2 miles. I've rebuilt my run before (pre multisport) and was thinking that I'd need 6-8 weeks of base/aerobic running 3X/week before easing back into workouts like hill repeats and track work. I'm cautiously optimistic I can race an Oly in December and be back for 70.3 in the early spring.

Thanks again and I hope you have a full and complete recovery!

(Formerly SoCalTricurious, now in the PNW).
Quote Reply