Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Resume training after olympic distance
Quote | Reply
How are you guys training the days after an olympic distance?
Are you training anything the same day? low intensity to increase blood flow in legs?
What about the next days?

I did an olympic duathlon today (so a bit more running).
Quote Reply
Re: Resume training after olympic distance [johan123] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would just rest today, and get some good calories back in your body. Then, depending on how you feel, go for an easy recovery run or ride tomorrow.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Usually 1 easy day (not necessarily a day off) for each hour of racing. Usually just a swim the day after, then maybe a swim and a run two days out.

"Don't you have to go be stupid somewhere else?"..."Not until 4!"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I follow a similar rule of thumb as abrown above: 1 easy day for every hour of racing. I exclusively swim though on those easy days. I'll often throw on some short find and do a long kick set.
Quote Reply
Re: Resume training after olympic distance [abrown] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
abrown wrote:
Usually 1 easy day (not necessarily a day off) for each hour of racing. Usually just a swim the day after, then maybe a swim and a run two days out.
Sounds like a nice rule of tumb! Thanks
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for posting the question, I've been learinng from the thread.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
johan123 wrote:
Are you training anything the same day? low intensity to increase blood flow in legs?

What do I do the next day after an Olympic distance race? I go back and do my normal 3 hours training, 1 hour swim, 90 minutes bike,
30 minutes treadmill. Now, everything is way slower than normal because I am trying to recover, which generally takes me a week, but
no "rest" days for me.

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Re: Resume training after olympic distance [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
h2ofun wrote:
johan123 wrote:

What do I do the next day after an Olympic distance race? I go back and do my normal 3 hours training, 1 hour swim, 90 minutes bike,
30 minutes treadmill. Now, everything is way slower than normal because I am trying to recover, which generally takes me a week, but
no "rest" days for me.

So then 3 and a half hours? (If it's way slower)
Quote Reply
Re: Resume training after olympic distance [mdtrihard] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mdtrihard wrote:
h2ofun wrote:
johan123 wrote:

no "rest" days for me.

So then 3 and a half hours? (If it's way slower)

All my training is a fixed distance, not time. So I swim for an hour, no matter how much. I bike for 90 minutes no matter how much.
My long run is distance and when tired can take 15 minutes more.

Now, if I am really really hurting, then clearly, I take time off until recovered enough. But so far have not had that issue after an Olympic, but I expect that day is coming as I get older.

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Re: Resume training after olympic distance [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am 50+ duathlon only. Get right back at it. My week after a race is typically something like this. The day after is a 1 hr high cadence low power ride. Think 65% effort. Day 2 is a nice and easy 1 hour upper zone 1 very low zone 2 run. Day 3 is a repeat of day 2. Day 4 is typically an interval set on the bike. I like 5x10minutes with short rest at 85 to 90 % day 5 (friday) is either. Repeat of day 1 or day 2. Then it's the weekend. Maybe racing again, if not it's usually 3 hours each day about equally split running and biking, most of it at modest effort, 75 - 80 %.

I have found that High cadence spin ride really helps with recovery and gets me back pretty quick.

Very, very few full days off.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not advice, just something I saw:

2 x Olympian Samantha Warriner (her husband SalmonSteve posts here) cranking out fast 100s in the pool the day after the Memphis in May Triathlon. She probably swam 5k that day. We talked for a little while, and I remember her saying she would resume normal training the next day.

Indeed I saw her wearing out the local track the next day.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Depends when your next race is. I'm southern hemisphere and just did my last race of the season which was a sprint. Next targeted race is October so I'm chilling eating pizza, maccas and ice cream.
Mid season I'd be into a longish recovery ride on Monday and maybe a swim and regular high intensity training on the Tuesday.
Quote Reply