Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Response to airline damage
Quote | Reply
I recently traveled with my bicycle in a Scion AeroComfort bag. I've used it over 10 times before with no problems. Upon receiving the bike back from oversized luggage I checked the wheels. My disc had huge dents in, which were not there before. It was in mint condition. Additionally, my helmet was also placed within a travel bag within the bike bag and the visor was cracked in two.

Additionally, I found that my rear derailleur was so far bent in that I couldn't even spin my rear wheel because it would get caught in. I made the claim right there for those and they filled out the form and gave me a case number. I told them I would have the bike examined at a bike shop and potentially add more to the claim. They said ok and that they would contact me soon because their head guy who deals with damage claims was out for a couple days.

I dropped my bike off and found out that it was a total loss (cracked frame, post, seat stay) and it would be around 7,500 to replace everything. The airline also called back and they said because there was no damage to the bag on the outside, they feel no they have no liability to the damage or claim. To me, this makes no sense. Just because something on the outside isn't damaged doesn't mean the inside cannot be damaged. For example anything that gets mailed, the packaging could be fine, but the inside could easily be damaged.

The airline said my next step was to go to the HQ department and I can appeal the airport branch decision. Was hoping for any observation I am missing before, reasonable thinking that has flown from my brain, or something i should know before I go make my appeal/complaint/wine to the HQ.

Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: Response to airline damage [onceatriathlet3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
onceatriathlet3 wrote:
I recently traveled with my bicycle in a Scion AeroComfort bag. I've used it over 10 times before with no problems. Upon receiving the bike back from oversized luggage I checked the wheels. My disc had huge dents in, which were not there before. It was in mint condition. Additionally, my helmet was also placed within a travel bag within the bike bag and the visor was cracked in two.

Additionally, I found that my rear derailleur was so far bent in that I couldn't even spin my rear wheel because it would get caught in. I made the claim right there for those and they filled out the form and gave me a case number. I told them I would have the bike examined at a bike shop and potentially add more to the claim. They said ok and that they would contact me soon because their head guy who deals with damage claims was out for a couple days.

I dropped my bike off and found out that it was a total loss (cracked frame, post, seat stay) and it would be around 7,500 to replace everything. The airline also called back and they said because there was no damage to the bag on the outside, they feel no they have no liability to the damage or claim. To me, this makes no sense. Just because something on the outside isn't damaged doesn't mean the inside cannot be damaged. For example anything that gets mailed, the packaging could be fine, but the inside could easily be damaged.

The airline said my next step was to go to the HQ department and I can appeal the airport branch decision. Was hoping for any observation I am missing before, reasonable thinking that has flown from my brain, or something i should know before I go make my appeal/complaint/wine to the HQ.

Thanks
I think the situation is different from airline to airline. Most commonly, airlines insist on a hard shelled case if they are going to take responsibility for damage (I know American does).

We had a customer who had damage because TSA opened the box, moved stuff around, and then closed it. The airline (Southwest) made good on the damage, even though it was TSA's fault. I assume they have their own process for dealing with TSA.

Those Scion cases are awesome, but I don't think they will inoculate you from blame since they are soft shell.

Trent Nix
Owned and operated Tri Shop
F.I.S.T. Advanced Certified Fitter | Retul Master Certified Fitter (back when those were things)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Most airlines have a maximum liability for bikes around $3,500.
Quote Reply
Re: Response to airline damage [trentnix] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Most airlines have a "hard sided case" rule that states they are not liable for damage to bikes that were encased within a soft case.

Once again, soft cases like the Scicons are great until your bike gets fucked up. Yet another reason why I use the Scicon hard case.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
When I had this happen to me, I didn't get anywhere and was told to go pound sand until I involved an attorney, after which I was easily able to obtain the maximum compensation. If it happened to me again, that's where I would start
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
onceatriathlet3 wrote:

Thanks

I am tired of repeating myself about this, HOW DID YOU PAY FOR THE TICKET??? credit card??? all credit cards offer protection of some sort, amex is usually better, mastercard hit or miss. how did you pay for the bike? CALL YOUR CREDIT CARD.
Quote Reply
Re: Response to airline damage [Bypasskid] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
why would buying your bike with a CC have any relation to the fact that the bike was destroyed by an airline?

on the airline ticket - perhaps, tenuously they might accept that if you bought a ticket and your luggage was destroyed they'd challenge the ticket but I'm guessing he did not spend 7.5k on the ticket
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am very sorry to hear that this happened to your bike. That case looks extremely convenient to use, and I was considering it, but I've read in a number of threads that the SciCon is prone to damage. I've flown with my PikaPackworks about 16 times (majority long haul) and have never read about damage in this case. For now, I'm going to stick with it although it doesn't have any wheels.
Quote Reply
Re: Response to airline damage [Andrewmc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Andrewmc wrote:
why would buying your bike with a CC have any relation to the fact that the bike was destroyed by an airline?

on the airline ticket - perhaps, tenuously they might accept that if you bought a ticket and your luggage was destroyed they'd challenge the ticket but I'm guessing he did not spend 7.5k on the ticket

Because that's how credit card protection works. It doesn't matter how much you spend on a ticket. That's why I always always buy air travel insurance with amex.9.95$ per ticket.
Look into it
Quote Reply
Re: Response to airline damage [Andrewmc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Andrewmc wrote:

btw, this is the same when people buy cell phone insurance plans where as if you simply pay your cell phone bill with mastercard its FREE! most people
don't realize it and love to spend their money...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Unfortunately, Scion cases don't protect bikes very well. You should be able to drop it from a roof top (of those luggage trolleys) with no damage. BTW I have seen that happen with my BIKND case and nothing got damaged.

David
* Ironman for Life! (Blog) * IM Everyday Hero Video * Daggett Shuler Law *
Disclaimer: I have personal and professional relationships with many athletes, vendors, and organizations in the triathlon world.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Which airline?

"The person on top of the mountain didn't fall there." - unkown

also rule 5
Quote Reply
Re: Response to airline damage [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ok, listen up! I will tell you exactly how to deal with this with minimal effort. I have first hand experience with this very subject.

First things first- The airline's policies don't mean anything. That sign they have up at the baggage office that says "We aren't responsible for damage to wheels, zippers, handles, etc" is a total lie. It is designed so that they can point to it when you walk into the office and point out damage they consider "wear and tear"... which is everything to them, and be exonerated from all responsibility.

Luckily for us, there is this awesome government agency called the Department Of Transportation (DOT). They are your best friend! Why? Because they make the rules that airlines MUST follow. Now I will tell you right now, the employees at the baggage counter don't know crap about DOT regulations and you will sound like a douche telling them about the rules. That is ok, their opinions mean nothing.

Legally, the airline MUST let you file a report, regardless if they feel it isn't valid. Remember, the baggage desk's opinion means nothing. Ask to fill out the form. If they let you, cool. If not, that's ok too.

Visit this site- https://www.transportation.gov/...e-consumer-complaint
File a formal complaint against the airline. They will have 30 days to respond to this complaint. A DOT official will be assigned your case and help you reach a resolution. If the airline tries to BS you, the DOT official can step in and MAKE them help you more.

After 30 days if the airline hasn't responded then you simply remind your DOT official. They will contact the airline immediately. Airlines HATE when DOT contacts them. Why? Because it goes into an official government report every month that tracks airline issues and ranks them.

The airline I was dealing with (Virgin America) didn't respond. I reminded the agent on day 31 and he told me he would reach out to them. The next morning I had a corporate office employee from VA asking me simply: "What do we need to do to fix this?" I told her the amount and it was done. 7 days later I had a check.

TL;DR- Don't waste time with the airline, use DOT to file a formal complaint.
Last edited by: The Sloth: May 7, 17 16:03
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Can you show me where this is in writing? Is it all MasterCard or the MasterCard you have issued by a specific bank?
Quote Reply
Re: Response to airline damage [The Sloth] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is great! Thank you!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was going to say bring a cell phone and a crying baby to the counter but your idea sounds better.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dan should have this as a STICKY at the top, awesome stuff.
Quote Reply
Re: Response to airline damage [thisgirl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
thisgirl wrote:
Can you show me where this is in writing? Is it all MasterCard or the MasterCard you have issued by a specific bank?

https://www.mycardbenefits.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
thisgirl wrote:

I have used these benefits myself and it is as advertised. I just had a bike wheel repair covered by MasterCard.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well crap. I have two credit cards. One through my bank and they just switched to Visa. The other is a Marriott rewards card and it too is Visa. Might be time to start researching one to swap out for a MasterCard.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Google visa benefits. May offer it too
Quote Reply
Re: Response to airline damage [ajthomas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ajthomas wrote:
I was going to say bring a cell phone and a crying baby to the counter but your idea sounds better.

Crying baby works. Years ago I was travelling alone with my 2 yr old daughter. Our flight out of DC was very late and we missed our connection in Memphis. My daughter needed to be changed but I went straight to an agent to be rebooked immediately. When I got to the counter I was told there were no available flight for two days. I told the agent that was unacceptable and then hoisted my now ripe and crying daughter onto the counter and demanded to talk to the manager. I was rebooked on a flight right away!
Quote Reply
Re: Response to airline damage [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I feel for the OP. I work as a pilot and have spent enough time on the ramp to know this. If you travel with a soft
case it is not a matter of if your bike will be damaged, it is a matter of when. Totally agree with you GMAN.

On an aside note regarding hard cases...
Just came home from IMTX and my hard case was on its last leg. Walk in the door and my wife and daughters
have set up huge box completely covered with a "congrats on IM" sign. Brings me to tear but then they tell me
the box isn't empty just holding the enormous sign. We open it up and inside is the Scicon Aerotech TSA 3. My
jaw hit the floor. My wife bought me the Ferrari of hard cases. Guess that was the official green light to keep up
the IM racing!

I tell everyone that asks, your most junky hard case is a better bet than the best soft case on the market.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did. Nothing like what MC has.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Apply for a MasterCard? Although amex
Is better in my experience (9.95$ per ticket)
Quote Reply

Prev Next