Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Regaining Left/Right balance on bike after knee/leg surgery
Quote | Reply
I shattered my patella (knee cap) in a freak skiing accident at the end of December. My knee smashed into a tree while skiing in the trees in Montana. I had ORIF surgery with a plate and a bunch of screws put in, fortunately at the top orthopedic hospital in NYC. It was a rough start to the year, but I've now regained range of motion with lots of PT and have been putting in a lot of time on my bike trainer which I've felt good improvements from.

My injured leg completely atrophied, since I literally could not contract my quad for about 5 weeks (the day it finally kicked in was magical). I have the PowerTap P1 pedals, and prior to my injury my left/right balance was always around 50/50. I've been back on my trainer for about 5 weeks now, when I first started it was like 80/20 balance, and now I'm right around 60/40, but I feel myself plateauing here. I also feel like I'm furthering the leg imbalance since I'm disproportionally strengthening my good leg.

* Anyone have suggestions for building my injured leg back up? I've been doing single leg drills. Does it just take time and over time it will even back out? I know it doesn't need to be 50/50 perfectly, but 60/40 feels quite imbalanced.
* Anyone dealt with a similar injury and have tips for returning to tri? Cycling has been great rehab but I'm a bit nervous about returning to running. My doc is cautiously optimistic that I can make a full comeback, just will take time (1 year +).

Thanks all!
Quote Reply
Re: Regaining Left/Right balance on bike after knee/leg surgery [wahoowatri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Some years ago I broke my tibial plateau and I was non weight bearing for 12 weeks- lots of atrophy.
I did lots of good pt including balance work.
After that I did a full off season of weights- only on the affected side.
Single leg everything.
It worked great- but as you say' it does take time.
Quote Reply
Re: Regaining Left/Right balance on bike after knee/leg surgery [bootsie_cat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks, thats a good plan.
Question for you - how did / does your patellar tendon or the area just below your knee cap look? Mine is still very hard and swollen, which makes my knee cap look about twice as long. It seems to be functioning fairly normally though.
Quote Reply
Re: Regaining Left/Right balance on bike after knee/leg surgery [wahoowatri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Get a pair of powercranks, you won't regret! They force you to pedal 50/50 and are great for rehabbing.
Sam
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bit of a tangent but when I started Snowboarding I met a guy on the slopes and he'd taken up boarding because he'd trashed his knee in a ski accident. He couldn't risk skiing on it again but figured that having both legs strapped into the same board meant he couldn't twist the knee much. Really nice guy, taught me a lot on the tricky second day of boarding. He was retired and waiting to meet his sons on the slopes for a family holiday. If he hadn't started boarding he'd of had to give that all up. No idea if you are worried about skiing again but thought I'd mention it just in case.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The area below my patella still looks funky 20 years later ;)
But give it time- Can take 6 months to a year for swelling to fully subside.
Quote Reply
Re: Regaining Left/Right balance on bike after knee/leg surgery [sgy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sgy wrote:
Get a pair of powercranks, you won't regret! They force you to pedal 50/50 and are great for rehabbing.
Sam

That's what FD use to say all the time but then he started having folks ride the ICranks and found that it wasn't remotely the case. All PCs make one do is add enough up force on the rising foot to keep them engaged. They in no way make one pedal is a 50/50 fashion. Now if one really wants to force someone to apply an up force they they're just great;)

Hugh

Genetics load the gun, lifestyle pulls the trigger.
Quote Reply