Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Recommendation Hotel Ironman 70.3 New Orleans
Quote | Reply
Hi,
I am coming to New Orleans in April for Ironman 70.3 and dont have any idea on which hotel to stay.
Any Recommendations????
Quote Reply
Re: Recommendation Hotel Ironman 70.3 New Orleans [gmartinez] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No hotels will be convenient for the race site. You will likely want to stay downtown near French Quarter. There are dozens of hotels there and it is near most of the stuff people from out of town would like to do. The Start/Transition/Finish will be miles away. Registration though is usually down town at a race hotel though, so maybe stay at the host hotel to make that (and shuttles) a little more convenient.

Ironman Certified Coach

Currently accepting limited number of new athletes
Quote Reply
Re: Recommendation Hotel Ironman 70.3 New Orleans [Jim Martin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks a lot for the information.
As it is the first time doing this race and dont know New Orleans, I didnt know what was the best place to stay for the race.
Have you done this race before?
Do you know if the biking part is flat??
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
gmartinez wrote:
Thanks a lot for the information.
As it is the first time doing this race and dont know New Orleans, I didnt know what was the best place to stay for the race.
Have you done this race before?
Do you know if the biking part is flat??

Every year except maybe 1 time for injury or something. Bike is as flat as anything you will ever do, there are usually a couple of bridges that you have to cross, one near Transition (in and out) and one out around 10 miles (Interstate 510). There are few bike courses in the world that are flatter than this.

Ironman Certified Coach

Quote Reply
Re: Recommendation Hotel Ironman 70.3 New Orleans [Jim Martin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks a lot.
This is exactly what I was looking for.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
gmartinez wrote:
Thanks a lot.
This is exactly what I was looking for.

The run this year looks a little different than year's past. It is a straight out and back. For most of it (roughly miles 2 through 11) you will be looking at a very nice lake, there will be some bumps (levee crossings, a few bridges, nothing major). The first couple and last couple miles are crap though. Pretty tall bridge, area enclosed in part by a flood wall and in part by other bridges. Really not a fun part of the course at all. The part on the lake has potential to be really nice if the weather cooperates. It also has the chance to be really exposed to voracious winds.

Ironman Certified Coach

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
gmartinez wrote:
Hi,
I am coming to New Orleans in April for Ironman 70.3 and dont have any idea on which hotel to stay.
Any Recommendations????

How much do you want to spend and where do you want to be? Will you have a car? Want quiet or to live it up? B&B or hotel?
Quote Reply
Re: Recommendation Hotel Ironman 70.3 New Orleans [windywave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
First time in NOL and I will be there just for a couple of days so wanted to stay in a hotel that is comfortable for the race but that also allow me to get to know NOL after the race.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
gmartinez wrote:
First time in NOL and I will be there just for a couple of days so wanted to stay in a hotel that is comfortable for the race but that also allow me to get to know NOL after the race.

Define comfortable. . . .The race isn't by anyplace you really want to be. The host hotel is a pretty good choice. It's between the Quarter, CBD, and Warehouse District. Personally if I was staying downtown I would stay at the Sheraton or Marriott on Canal if the rates aren't too bad and then after that the Crown Plaza. If none of those work out find something that fits your budget and I will let you know anything I know about it and its location. Also if you want restaurant or activity suggestions let me know.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Doing NOLA 70.3 too. We've rented a house just outside French quarter. Price was super reasonable. Not convenient for race, but will be great for seeing the city before and after the race. I generally always try to do VRBO/Home Away when vacationing. Usually better location and prices.
Quote Reply
Re: Recommendation Hotel Ironman 70.3 New Orleans [blueapplepaste] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Which way just out of the quarter? (There are some bad neighborhoods just outside the quarter)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Guys, still didnt book hotel for the race.
The Host hotel is full and the hotels nearby French Market are all over USD 200 per night.
Anyone knows any apartment we can rent for 4 nights or any cheper hotel that can recommend.
We are 2 guys coming from the other side of the world just for the race
Thanks
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For this race you are NOT going to be able to be close to the race location and "enjoy" New Orleans.

You need to decide what is more important to you.

The race location is in the part of New Orleans that they call "New Orleans East". There is really nothing out that way as far as hotels are concerned and is not a great area (i.e. - safe, things to do, etc).

If you are looking to enjoy New Orleans you will want to stay in the French Quarter or Warehouse/Convention center area. French Quarter will cost you $200 plus a night. Warehouse/Convention Center will cost $175 plus a night.

Just keep in mind that neither of these areas are close the race location (20-30 minute drive).

The other option is to stay out by the airport (hotels will be less expensive) but you will be far from the race sight as well and 30-40 minutes from the fun parts of New Orleans.

Keep in mind this is New Orleans in April...hotels are going to be expensive no matter what is going on. Busy time of the year!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just browsed airbnb and there are some decent looking options not too far from the race area (a little more "centrally" located)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah this part of New Orleans is not a good place to stay...... and for that matter it's not a good place to be once the sun goes down. To put it into perspective, some of the scarier scenes in the HBO series True Detective are shot in the area where the race is being held. Don't get me wrong, I love the city, but IRONMAN did a shit ball job negotiating the race route. There are so many amazing places that the race could have routed us through, but instead we are out in BFE and we don't get to enjoy anything of the scenery, shade, or wind breaks.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I found an apartment just a little outside the French quarter. Going with a couple of buddies. Fairly reasonably priced on AirBNB. Around 150+fee divided by 3.
Quote Reply