Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Recommend running shoes for 70.3 and Ironman training/racing
Quote | Reply
I will do Oceanside 70.3 this April and will follow with IM Cozumel in November. What shoes would you recommend me to train/race in?
I'm 1.74m (5'9"), 80kg (176 lbs), pronator. Avg 30km (18.75 mi) running per week (this will increase obviously).
Quote Reply
Re: Recommend running shoes for 70.3 and Ironman training/racing [MarioTB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If I were you I'd go to a running shop that gets good reviews as somewhere with knowledgeable, helpful staff and has a running machine on site. Go at a quiet time when they won't be too busy and they can give you some attention. Hopefully they will ask you the relevant questions and get you to run in different makes/models. The shoe you want is the one that just feels great, running is easy and the person in the shop, who knows what to look for while you are on the treadmill, says suits how you run. That doesn't mean that's your perfect shoe but it's a good way to start and then you can iterate based on your experience with those.
Quote Reply
Re: Recommend running shoes for 70.3 and Ironman training/racing [MarioTB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm a big fan of ASICS GT series and Cumulus series.

My form is all over the place, but I can usually wear stability shoes, but need replace around 250 miles or else I start having issues again.

BUT, like the previous post, go to a good running store where they will help you find the right/best shoe. Even if you don't buy it from there and order from Amazon or something, try it before you buy it.

Ryan
http://www.SetThePaceTriathlon.com
http://www.TriathlonTrainingDaddy.com
I got plans - https://www.trainingpeaks.com/...dotcom#trainingplans
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am two inches taller than you and a couple of pound more, not that, that means really anything, but I run Saucony shoes. I am doing a 70.3 in April and then Chattanooga in Sept.

I do my long runs in the ISO Freedoms - I tried them like them a lot but not at their price tag.
I have run in the Kinvara for years and will be heading back to that once the Freedoms are dead. I will do my long runs and races in these.

For my short runs/speed work I run in either the Fastwitch or Type A. I love the new Type A as it had a couple of years of "so so".
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My personal favorites thus far are Ons' Cloudflows and Hoka One One's Tracer. Both are light and comfortable from the get-go. The tracer isn't as built up as their other models.

Use this link to save $5 off your USAT membership renewal:
https://membership.usatriathlon.org/...A2-BAD7-6137B629D9B7
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
instead of having people throw stability shoes at you (since you say you pronate) why don't you tell us what you're running in, what you like/dislike (be specific) about each shoe then ask for recommendations.

You've gotten some good shoes recommendations from some people who have missed the part where you pronate & they suggested neutral shoes. If you pronate you want a stability shoe

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Last edited by: desert dude: Feb 4, 18 6:59
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
MarioTB wrote:
I will do Oceanside 70.3 this April and will follow with IM Cozumel in November. What shoes would you recommend me to train/race in?
I'm 1.74m (5'9"), 80kg (176 lbs), pronator. Avg 30km (18.75 mi) running per week (this will increase obviously).

Really depends on a whole bunch of factors. Not recommending these models necessarily as they are neutral shoes, but I train in a number of shoes, Hoka Cliftons for long stuff, I find the cushioning helps with muscle soreness, especially past 24km. Intervals I wear Asics Noosas or Hoka Tracer and I race in Hyperspeeds which are racing flats. But they took me months before I could run a HM in them. I'd run 4km in them and be really sore. Now I'm fine.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
MarioTB wrote:

I don't want to be mean, but this is a ridiculous question... You are basically just asking for everyone's favorite shoe. What shoes are you using now? I recommend that you keep using those shoes or, as mentioned above, go to a running store and get recommendations based on a run analysis. Then ignore that advice and go buy whatever shoes look the coolest.

As long as you give your body time to adjust, you can basically adapt to running in any shoe (or no shoes at all).
Quote Reply
Re: Recommend running shoes for 70.3 and Ironman training/racing [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
desert dude wrote:
instead of having people throw stability shoes at you (since you say you pronate) why don't you tell us what you're running in, what you like/dislike (be specific) about each shoe then ask for recommendations.

You've gotten some good shoes recommendations from some people who have missed the part where you pronate & they suggested neutral shoes. If you pronate you want a stability shoe

I currently switch several pairs, I run in Asics GT2000 for middle to long runs, Asics TriNoosa for transition training and used them for Oly and Sprint races before (not doing much of those this year) I don't like the stiffness or flatness they both provide; I did a half iron in Brooks Ravenna (worst run ever, but not because of the shoes) I like the cushion on those. I also do long runs in a pair of Saucony Guide 8's, I like them but I'm afraid they might be too bulky for competition (they might not be). For recovery runs I use Kinvaras and a Pearl Izumi M2's (barely use them).

I would love to reduce all that and focus on a pair or two just to train and compete in. With all those pairs I lost track of how many miles each have, when to discard them or renew them... too much confusion.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Try out a few shoes from different brands. I run in stability shoes for distance races:
-Asics Kayano
-Hoka Arahi & Gaviota
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In addition to what DesertDude wrote, you also need to account for your projected run time. The longer you're going to be on your feet, the more you might want to consider shoes with plenty of cushioning and support (also a bit heavier), like what you train in.

Shawn
TORRE Consulting Services, LLC
http://www.TORREcs.com

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
MarioTB wrote:

You and I sound very similar - I am 5'9 @ 170lbs and am a pretty bad pronator, the run is by far my weakest subject and I have ITB/knee issues all the time. I have fought for years looking for the "right" shoes to help me during the full distance.

I have settled on using HOKA Hupana as my shoe of choice this year and I do everything in them.... Long runs, short runs, speed etc. They are working well for me so far.

I was previously using Altra's and Brooks Ghost's - I was able to get through two Ironmans in the Altras but IMO they were soooo slow feeling and I was not 100% sure the zero drop was for me.
Last edited by: teddygram: Feb 6, 18 12:10
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm also curious, is it recommended to use more cushioning for the 70.3 or just use your light weight racing flats with no/little support?
Quote Reply
Re: Recommend running shoes for 70.3 and Ironman training/racing [IvarAlmere] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
IvarAlmere wrote:
I'm also curious, is it recommended to use more cushioning for the 70.3 or just use your light weight racing flats with no/little support?

That is something I ask myself all the time. Someone told me to use the Tri Noosas on that, since it is a competition, but they definitely feel very different after 3 hours of punishment, and of course, I wouldn't do the same time as a standalone half marathon; so I haven't tested them in half irons. I guess if I were 10k leaner, I would be using them no problem.
Quote Reply
Re: Recommend running shoes for 70.3 and Ironman training/racing [ShawnF] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, done! Projected time, I don't know, I haven't done any marathon or Ironman training, currently run around 30k (18-19 miles?) a week. It will surely go up, I guess around 50k a week? I don't know.
Quote Reply
Re: Recommend running shoes for 70.3 and Ironman training/racing [IvarAlmere] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
IvarAlmere wrote:

Probably something you will build up to. I used to race in Noosas, bit heavy though. Switched to racing flats (hyperspeeds), but initially could only do sprints in them. Then OD and this year I ran my first 70.3 in them sans socks with no problems. I'll probably wear them for a marathon in July, see how I go, if all good then will use them for a full at the end of the year. Not sure what plan B will be though as I don't have an inbetween shoe. Long training shoes are done in Hoka Cliftons and I don't want to race in them. But I think I should be OK.

When I first ran in them, I planned to do a light 10km, got to the turn around point and had to hobble home. Calves were so sore and I had 3 weeks of DOMS at the end of which I tore a calf which I'm guessing was connected to the original run in them. I love running in them now though, no soreness, feel quicker and they seem to promote a bit more of a forefoot stroke and overall better technique, at least that's what it feels like. The Noosas are 280gms and the Hyperspeeds 180gms so you do feel the difference. But I reckon if you're prone to injury, DOMS etc then either stay away from racing flats or buy some and just wear them for shorter stuff to start with.
Last edited by: zedzded: Feb 6, 18 19:05
Quote Reply
Re: Recommend running shoes for 70.3 and Ironman training/racing [zedzded] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I can't see any reason why you'd wear different shoes for a 70.3 run than for a regular half, or a IM-distance marathon from a regular marathon. The goal is still to get through the marathon as quickly as possible, so wear your fastest shoes!
For what it's worth, I wear Adidas Adios Boost for absolutely any road race, from 5k to marathon, and love them. Fast, light and nicely cushioned - they're a winner. I stopped buying into the whole support / cushioned shoe thing years ago. Just buy nice simple neutral shoes that fit well, and work on improving your form over time.

-----
http://www.howesgreg.com
Quote Reply