Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Reasons the East Coast sucks ass...
Quote | Reply
...in comparison to San Diego.

1. Humidity. Average humidity in VA Beach, 112%. Average humidity in San Diego, 2%. It's seriously nasty. Many people claim to love this weather. I think their brains have been steamed by the heat.

2. Hurricanes. WTF? I'm in the Navy and I've never had to keep a constant tether to the ship because we might sortie due to hurricanes.

3. Carne Asada Burritos. Can't get a good one here to save my life. Same goes for fish tacos.

4. Bar scene. Ok, I haven't been here that long, and I'm usually too exhausted to do much bar hopping on the weekends, but what I have seen here doesn't come close to comparing to San Diego. Then again, very few places I have been do compare to San Diego. Plus, they can still smoke in bars out here. I hate that.

5. Rednecks. Don't get me wrong, I went to High School in NC, I don't have anything against rednecks in general, but the per capita ratio of rednecks to non-rednecks here is a whole lot higher than in California. Lots more big trucks, rebel flags, and young girls with babies on one hip than out in San Diego.

Somebody please tell me what the good points are for this area, because I'm having trouble finding them.

Slowguy

(insert pithy phrase here...)
Quote Reply
Re: Reasons the East Coast sucks ass... [slowguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
don't forget that the surfing is better in CA.

It doesn't sleet in SD in the winter making all the rednecks crash their trucks.

people in CA are more bicyle aware.

Every winter day in Feb is 40F for the high, breezy and very overcast, you don't get that in SD.

I went to high school in NC as well as college. Where did you go?

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Last edited by: desert dude: Aug 14, 05 12:58
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
repost this once California drops into the ocean :)
Quote Reply
Re: Reasons the East Coast sucks ass... [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
All good points. I went to H.S. in Raleigh and College in MD.

Slowguy

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Top 5 reasons to race and train in North Carolina

Inside-Out Sports in Cary
the NCTS races
the Western mountains for serious hill work
Hilton Head Island or South Myrtle Beach
the NASCAR crowd is inside watching the races when I'd be out riding
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
One reason, and one reason only, cost of living. Other than that I would be in San Diego in a heartbeat.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
At least you don't have snow and sub-20 degree temperatures for months on end. I left sunny SoCal for freakin' Boston.

====================================

Life isn't measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the number of moments that take your breath away.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Agreed, specially on the weather(humidity sucks)...West Coast is much better except the cost of living.

--------------------------------------------------------
I see obsessed people.
Quote Reply
Re: Reasons the East Coast sucks ass... [monterey411] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"At least you don't have snow and sub-20 degree temperatures for months on end. I left sunny SoCal for freakin' Boston. "

I left San Diego 3 and 1/2 years ago and spent the last 3 years and 5 months in Newport RI. I know what that's like and I'd still choose that over the feeling of constantly needing a new shower that you get from the hot humid weather here.

Slowguy

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
[reply] I'd still choose that over the feeling of constantly needing a new shower that you get from the hot humid weather here.[/reply]

Yeah, I get that. My parents live in DC and it is no fun in the summer. I was speaking mostly from a training perspective though - at least you can train (outside) in the humidity (OK, maybe not at 3pm in August). None of that here, from December through March.

Life isn't measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the number of moments that take your breath away.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fabulous troll bait. But we'll ignore your bait for now. Hope you enjoy the east coast bashing.
BrokenSpoke
Quote Reply
Re: Reasons the East Coast sucks ass... [monterey411] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"I was speaking mostly from a training perspective though - at least you can train (outside) in the humidity (OK, maybe not at 3pm in August). None of that here, from December through March. "

I don't know about you, but I haven't been able to get much of any kind of outdoor training done here. I'm not willing to get up to do it at 4AM, and when I get done at work at 6 or 7 it's still hot as hell and humid. In Newport I rode my mountain bike and ran outside pretty much year round, although I agree you trade one evil for another. I guess I'd prefer wet and cold over hot and humid.

Slowguy

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The spring and fall is nice. Sorry, that's all I've got. San Diego is probably one of the 5 best cities in the US. Hang in there, it will get better soon.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
East Coast:

1. Not near as crowded, I live in St Augustine, 12,000 population. The west Coast appears crowded even in the middle of nowhere.

2. Contrary to popular belief, the vehicle drivers here are very nice, save a few.

3. I swim/bike/run 365 days per year....Outside!

4. Hurricanes are exaggerated by the now infamous "Weather Channel". The bad part of these storms are actually quite limited. I was biking and running nearly everyday as the weather channel people stood by and claimed how bad it all was.

5. Yep, its humid, but I bike/run nearly every day between 11:00 am and 4:00 pm. Quit being a wussy about the humidity.

Paul
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well, I hope you've got AC!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I ran the Cliff Walk in Newport RI on Thursday of this week before getting back out to San Diego. Beautiful run. Man did I sweat. Only good thing abouty that humidity is that you get a good hoax weigh in post workout :-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
1. So it's humid. It's our trade-off for the lack of earthquakes and wildfires. You get used to it eventually.

2. If you're still in VA Beach, hurricanes aren't really an issue. FL might be a different story, but not this far north.

3. Fair point. If you can make it up to DC, check out the Adams Morgan and Columbia Heights neighborhoods for grub--they have large Mexican communities.

4. You're dead wrong on the bar scene in VA beach. Keep looking. Find out where the lifeguards go. That's usually a good indicator.

5. Rednecks? In the South? You're kidding! Mneh, I doubt that most of them will give you any trouble.

-Then again, why are you complaining to us? Who in their right mind would leave San Diego in the first place?
Quote Reply
Re: Reasons the East Coast sucks ass... [matty1281] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Why don't you move back?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I live in SC. I purchased 22 acres of absolutely gorgeous pastureland with a 3-bedroom house for under $100,000.

Tell me what that would cost in San Diego ... if it were available at all?

And I wish people would quit trashing "rednecks." The term refers to people who actually have red necks from working on their tractors in their fields all day ... PUTTING FOOD ON YOUR TABLES! They're honest, hard-working folks who know the value of a dollar and who, for the most part, have a higher net worth than probably 99% of you lurking this forum 'cuz they aren't infants who can't resist spending money they don't have. They should not be confused with "trailer trash."

Bob C.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Couple of things to keep in mind about the East Coast

1. We don't allow whining.
2. We don't attend pity parties.
3. We won't call the WAAAAmbulance for you.
2. We don't want you here anyway.

If it sucks so bad - leave. Please.

--------------
Elivis needs boats.
Last edited by: Schwingding: Aug 14, 05 14:12
Quote Reply
Re: Reasons the East Coast sucks ass... [Kevin P.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The Cliff Walk is a nice run. Did you just do the paved part or did you get out on the rocks and run that part too?

Slowguy

Quote Reply
Re: Reasons the East Coast sucks ass... [Schwingding] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
1. I'm not whining, just making some observations

2. No pity party either.

3. Call whatever you want, just get the heat index down a little.

4. Nobody asked you if you want me here.

"If it sucks so bad - leave. Please."

Lastly, I'm not really in a position to leave. I go where the Navy needs me.

Slowguy

Quote Reply
Re: Reasons the East Coast sucks ass... [matty1281] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"It's our trade-off for the lack of earthquakes and wildfires."

I lived in San Diego for 4 years and never felt an earthquake or was anywhere near a wildfire. Hurricanes are another story because I have to get all cycled up at work to see if someone is going to decide all the ships need to get underway on short notice. Hurricane doesn't even have to hit land for that to be an issue.

Slowguy

Quote Reply
Re: Reasons the East Coast sucks ass... [psycholist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"And I wish people would quit trashing "rednecks.""

I wish people weren't so sensitive. Nobody's trashing Rednecks. Just making an observation about the population here as opposed to California. As for what the term means, it may certainly have begun as a description for a hardworking farmer, but that's not what it means now. Just like many words, the meanings and connotations change over time. Obviously, to anyone without a short fuse, I wasn't trashing hard working farmers.

Slowguy

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I ran all the way out to the trails, through the tunnels, over the flat rocks, the sharp rocks, the walls and until I was holding the fence and leaning over the ocean :-)

Started back by the Atlantic Club. Maybe 9 miles total.

If I had to relocate to the east this would be a spot to consider. Maybe Middletown for finacial reasons. I loved it. I was struck as I flew in to Washington Dulles and then Providence, how green it was and how few people there are. I just assumed it would be urban sprawl. I found it refreshing (besides the humidity).
Quote Reply

Prev Next