Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Rear (converted from 10 to 11) Zipp shifted to the left
Quote | Reply
Hello Everybody! Good new Year!

Please see enclosed photo. It's my Cervelo S5 (2016) and a Zipp 404 firecrest (rear) that was converted from 10 to 11 speeds. The wheel is parallel to the frame but it is not centered. Noticed that only when I tried to use a 25mm cont. GP 4000 lately and it rubbed the frame.

1. Is this the conversion (ZIPP's conv. kit) that caused this shift to the left ?
  2. Any way to resolve it ?
  3. Should an original (not converted) 11 speed wheel resolve it ? means, it will seat

Thanks!!
Last edited by: 90rpm: Jan 2, 18 8:52
Quote Reply
Re: Rear (converted from 10 to 11) Zipp shifted to the left [90rpm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
When you convert from 10 speed to 11 speed, you install a different axle that shifts the wheel. You need to have the wheel re-dished to center the rim between the dropouts. (For some bizarre reason, for which I do not know the etymology, The term "dishing" is used to describe centering the wheel over the hub.)

The simple explanation is that you need to (or have someone) loosen the spokes on one side and tighten them on the other side to pull the rim over. Then, you re-true it once it is properly centered.
Last edited by: exxxviii: Jan 2, 18 12:09
Quote Reply
Re: Rear (converted from 10 to 11) Zipp shifted to the left [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
exxxviii wrote:
When you convert from 10 speed to 11 speed, you install a different axle that shifts the wheel. You need to have the wheel re-dished to center the rim between the dropouts. (For some bizarre reason, for which I do not know the entomology, The term "dishing" is used to describe centering the wheel over the hub.)

The simple explanation is that you need to (or have someone) loosen the spokes on one side and tighten them on the other side to pull the rim over. Then, you re-true it once it is properly centered.
---------
Thanks exxxviii!
A good technician that I spoke with, wasn't supporting the dishing option. you think it can work well ?
Quote Reply
Re: Rear (converted from 10 to 11) Zipp shifted to the left [90rpm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The technician that you spoke with isn't good.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes, when you convert a wheel from 10- to 11-speed, you must re-dish. Here is a link to Zipp's conversion page for 2012 wheel conversions that specifies the re-dishing.
http://www.zipp.com/...1bjzdobxsh2mkl4cszoe
Quote Reply
Re: Rear (converted from 10 to 11) Zipp shifted to the left [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
exxxviii wrote:
Yes, when you convert a wheel from 10- to 11-speed, you must re-dish. Here is a link to Zipp's conversion page for 2012 wheel conversions that specifies the re-dishing.

This is Very helpful! Thank you exxxviii,
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
exxxviii wrote:

I converted an older 10sp 404, using an aftermarket freehub, and didn't re-dish. It's off a little bit, but nowhere near what's shown in the pic up above. I can swap wheels without making any adjustments to shifting and it works fine. I do try to recenter the brake caliper though.

Similar situation with a set of older Reynolds wheels.
Last edited by: BrianB: Jan 2, 18 10:07
Quote Reply
Re: Rear (converted from 10 to 11) Zipp shifted to the left [BrianB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think the need for dishing depends on how the conversion kit is designed. If you do not need to also replace the axle (like some Shimano hubs, I think), then the shift is only like 0.5mm (or nothing, if it is only a freehub body change). But, others shift the wheel a couple millimeters.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In addition to what has been written - the asymetric chainstay on your bike complicates things. Your best option might be a wheel that is not dished to the center of the hub, but instead is dished to account for the big chainstay. That's what you would have to do if the tire were rubbing.

Andy Tetmeyer (I work at HED)

Quote Reply
Re: Rear (converted from 10 to 11) Zipp shifted to the left [andy tetmeyer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you exxxviii, Andy !
Quote Reply
Re: Rear (converted from 10 to 11) Zipp shifted to the left [andy tetmeyer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
andy tetmeyer wrote:
In addition to what has been written - the asymetric chainstay on your bike complicates things. Your best option might be a wheel that is not dished to the center of the hub, but instead is dished to account for the big chainstay. That's what you would have to do if the tire were rubbing.

The extra material in the nondrive-side chainstay doesn't affect the centering of the wheel cutout. Dishing the wheel to the hub center will be just fine (incidentally, I just did this a few months ago when converting a set of American Classics from 10- to 11-speed for a 2012 R3. The new hub body and axle shifted the wheel 1.5mm if I remember correctly).

PSA: "Entomology" is the study of insects. "Etymology" is the study of word origins.
Last edited by: Vman455: Jan 2, 18 11:47
Quote Reply
Re: Rear (converted from 10 to 11) Zipp shifted to the left [Vman455] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm just telling you my experience, which has been that a perfectly dished wheel in an S5 results in less tire clearance at the bulgy chainstay than at the skinny one. I have only looked at this on three frames though. Maybe it was different on your bike.

Andy Tetmeyer (I work at HED)

Quote Reply
Re: Rear (converted from 10 to 11) Zipp shifted to the left [Vman455] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Vman455 wrote:
PSA: "Entomology" is the study of insects. "Etymology" is the study of word origins.
Too funny... thanks for the catch. I swear my mind said etymology, but my fingers typed entomology without permission. I have to go back and edit my post, because those types of errors drive me crazy.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
exxxviii wrote:
Vman455 wrote:

Too funny... thanks for the catch. I swear my mind said etymology, but my fingers typed entomology without permission. I have to go back and edit my post, because those types of errors drive me crazy.

Yeah, they bug me, too. Sorry, couldn't resist...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I agree... I had to re-dish mine too and all was good after that.
Quote Reply