Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Really Long/Detailed Race Report IMFL 2013 M35-39 7th Place 9:23:22
Quote | Reply
GENERAL INFORMATION

2013 Ironman Florida was my 3rd 140.6, having completed 2011 (10:23:55) and 2012 (9:54:29). In general I would say that I was an average high school swimmer 20 years ago and really only started running and eventually riding a bike in the last 5 years. I posted 2012 race report on here (cant find a 2011 one, so maybe I didn't do one):

http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...post=4265824#4265824

My plan for improving on my 2012 IMFL was to drop a few pounds if possible, run much more (attempt to do 2,000 miles in 2013), attempt to increase my FTP on the bike, and also expend some money strategically on the bike where I thought I could buy time. In 2011 and 2012, I rode a basic Cervelo P1. The bike was awesome for me and allowed me to get into a very aero position, but if I wanted to draw out the last of my remaining gains, it was going to cost me some cash.

So, I dropped about 5 pounds from my last season weight (from 141 down to about 136 at 57), I kept the run volume high (1684 miles through 11/2), and found what I thought was the most cost effective and aerodynamic bike that would allow me to keep an already proven position; I landed on a gently used 2011 P4. All the data leading into the race indicated that for the same Power, I would be much faster.

I knew coming into the race that I had a solid shot at sub 9:30 but was pretty sure that it would take sub 9:20 to get a Kona slot. I decided not to make Kona a goal, it wasnt something I had control over, I would go out, give the race everything and then let the chips fall.

PRE-RACE

Weather was looking to be great on race day, cool morning (60s) warm afternoon (70s) and no rain, but day before race day was going to storm.

I went to bed early the night before race, slept pretty good considering the typical nerves and was up at 3:00am. Normally, I wouldnt be up so early, but given the rain and wind in the transition area overnight (including exposed Bike and Gear Bags), I wanted enter transition as soon as it opened (4:30am) to deal with whatever surprises I might have at the bike or in either Gear Bag.

Got my pre-race meal down (2 PBJs and a 32 of Gatorade), got my stomach settled, got dressed and was at Transition for 4:30 without having to rush. Luckily, all the attention I put into double bagging all my gear inside the gear bags worked. My run shoes/socks were dry and my helmet visor was clean. I cleared all that excess stuff from my bags and headed over to the bike.

I removed all the plastic bags and after a little tweaking and lubing, everything was working great. From there, I went through my normal pre-race checklist, dropped off special needs bags (emergency use only) and headed off to meet my wonderful Ironwife for swapping gear, last minute hugs and the emotional goodbye that always seems to happen before I start one of these long distance efforts. I have two amazing moments on a big race day usually, the first is hugging and kissing he goodbye, the second is crossing the line and finding her in the crowd.

I ate a gel and was in the water splashing around, warming up, and getting loose at about 6:30, plenty of time to be out of the way for the Pro male start at 6:50 and Pro women at 6:55. I got settled on the beach (constantly tweaking cap and goggles), took my last gel and then started waiting for the cannon.

SWIM

This year IMFL had a different swim start than usual. In years past, the beach was open to everyone and when the cannon went off everyone headed out and aimed for whichever buoy they thought best in order to get to the Southernmost point of the course for the first turn (two lap rectangle swim course). This year, the start included a series of signs along the beach intended to better differentiate swimmers based upon their potential swim time. It seemed like a good idea. In hindsight, were I doing IMFL again next year, I would position myself differently.

I planned to swim 1 hour. My first IMFL swim was 1:01 in perfect conditions, my second was 1:03 in pretty rough conditions and I am in way better swim shape than either of those days, so I seeded myself with that in mind. I was about 1 person back when the cannon fired and we are off. Seas were a little rough, but nothing gnarly and the water temperature was perfect. After I cleared the breakers, I notice that I am getting absolutely beaten down. I have never had this much contact before in a swim. For at least a couple hundred yards it feels like I cant take a stroke without getting punched or kicked, HARD. Twice I roll onto my back to clear and reset my goggles from being kicked or punched in the in the face, most of the time, I just swim with water in them because I am just going to get hit again anyway. Around halfway to the first turn buoy, the contact becomes more of what I am used to. It is still something I dont like, but at least I dont feel like I am in an MMA match.

At first turn, the violence commences again and stays solid until we are headed back to the beach, then things finally start to loosen up some. I hit the beach at 30 minutes and feel pretty good considering the carnage. This year, the buoy setup is very clear and we are forced back in the water almost immediately upon passing the fresh water table and are swimming a diagonal to rejoin the rectangle around 100 yards of shore.

Second lap is less eventful, I feel like I am swimming strong, stroke feels solid; I am not fatigued at all. On the way back I feel like I am not sighting perfectly and maybe swam a little wide, but other than that, I am expecting to see something close to an hour. I hit the beach and see 1:04:45. I was unhappy about that, but there is little to do about it at this point. I guess my sighting was worse than I thought and that diagonal swim made the second lap a good bit longer than the first.

If I had this to do over again, I would forget the seeding and go far right (i.e. seed myself with the slower swimmers). Over there, I would have had clear water for a long part of the swim and maybe the carnage would have cleared itself up by the time I got where I belonged.

As I am heading up into the chute up to T2, I hear my little sister scream my name and I make sure that I wave at her so she knows that I heard her (so grateful for family support!)

Swim Goal: 0:59 1:03
Actual Swim: 1:04:45

T1

I am one of those guys that doesnt give up free time during the race, I try to keep the transitions lean, even at ultra distance. I was out of the water and running, I had the wet-suit down around waist and goggle and cap off before I got to my bag; I was passing people in the chute and not wasting a second.

I was wearing a De Soto Riviera Short Sleeve Top and Forza Low cut bottoms and planed to wear them both all day. This was a plan to help me avoid the horrible sun burn that I had gotten in years past while wearing a sleeveless top. The weather was going to be perfect so no need to complicate things by adding or removing clothing when this kit is perfect for the whole day.

I had the bag in hand and opened while running to the change tent and my helmet was on and buckled before I reached it. I ran to the last seat in the tent nearest the door and dumped out my shoes and got my suit off, thanked the volunteer and I was gone.

I ran towards my bike and pointed at a volunteer standing at my rack and hollered my race number. Racks were tight and he literally lifted it over his had to bring it to me; I put my shoes on while waiting. I ran past the mount line by about 10 yards and was off.

T1 Goal Time: 4:00
T1 Actual Time: 4:20

BIKE:

Now that I was on the bike, I felt way more in control of my race. I had done a workout recently and knew that I could do 180 watts for 5 hours and then run strong off the bike, so that is what I intended to do (for those that like Bike data, that would an IF of 0.75 based on FTP of 240 as verified by an all out 40k TT in September where I went 239 watts for 57 minutes and change on this exact setup).

I got on the bike and everything felt normal. I saw my Dad in the first half mile, gave him a wave and went to work. Legs were a little tight from the long ocean swim (I am not used to salt water swims and it always works slightly different muscles for me), but I was having no problem getting settled and hitting my power number and starting my nutrition plan. Course was a little congested, but the roads were good so no problem getting around people and getting moving. Later on I would learn that I came out of the water in 296th overall but managed to pass (net) 145 people prior to mile 15 of the bike (some of them were likely in T1 though).

Plan was a bottle of Powerbar Perform every hour and supplement with a concentrated calorie bottle throughout the bike. I am a little guy but have had success racing long course at around 300 to 350 cals/hour on the bike. It is probably on the high side, but my stomach can handle it and I figure it gives me some room for error if I drop a bottle or something. For higher intensities, like 70.3, I cant get nearly this much down.
I had success with this plan in training and in racing, but I was open to tweaking based on weather conditions. Were this race going to be hotter, I was prepared to take on nearly double this fluid amount (for same calories)

After about the first 6 miles, the course is a straight shot for roughly 16 miles. This is the first time that I really started to see a good bit of blatant drafting/cheating. I know that IMFL is known for it, but this is the first time I have seen it that bad in my three years racing here. I wont belabor it; I will just say it was bad.

Winds were predicted out of the NW, so we expected a headwind from mile 6 to roughly mile 56 (with some exceptions) and then a tail wind from roughly 56 to 106. With the head wind, I was able to target my power numbers and drill them perfectly. Then only exceptions were when I had to climb the bridge around mile 10 and when I had to surge to make a pass or coast to keep from entering a draft zone or to fall back out after someone else passed me. First 28 miles, AP: 178 watts, NP 181 watts. Perfect. Second 28 miles, AP: 181 watts, NP: 182 watts. Perfect.

Then we shifted to the tail wind. Around this time there is another really long straight section of the course with some rolling hills. It is probably from about mile 68 to about mile 82 (something like that, it is dead west with no turns). So we are getting a slight tail wind (turns out winds were more from the north that from the west) and I am dealing with some traffic.

I will remember this part of the course for two reasons. First, I came up on and passed a reigning Ironman World Champion. I dont care that she was taking it easy and using the race for qualification purposes. She had a 5 minute head start and I caught Mirinda Carfrae and I am counting it! As I passed her, I congratulated her on a great race last month and carried on. She said thanks and looked like she was having a nice ride in the nice weather. She is a Class act, loved racing with her for the 5 seconds I saw her on the bike.

Second reason I remember this part of the course, a few miles after I saw Rinny, I had an interesting experience with a fellow racer. I got passed by a big group, most of whom were making an effort to cheat. As they rolled through, somehow one of the group ended up on my back wheel (maybe he was resting or something). After I slowed and the group advanced to maybe 200 yards up the road, I noticed this guy was behind me. I asked him to get off my wheel and he pulled up next to me and asked if we could work together to catch the group down the road.

I asked if he planned to also cheat on the run, declined his request and then I turned it up a little bit to drop him. Happily I didnt notice him again, but he may have passed me at some point in a group later on.

During this 3rd Quarter of the bike, I found that I was losing my concentration and not focusing enough on my power. I was able to hold my 180 or a little higher on the uphills of the rollers, but the downhills were causing my average to drop (I wasn't working them hard enough). Add in the slight tail wind and I ended up on the 3rd 28 miles with an AP: 174 watts and an NP: 178. Not the end of the world, but not hitting my targets.

Around this time, we turned Southbound and finally get the benefit of the full tailwind and are also on a net downhill for most of the rest of the course. Somewhere around mile 90, I begin to notice that I am not feeling right. I am starting to get cold even though it is getting hotter, my HR is dropping, my RPE is too high for a power that is too low. I started running through my mental checklist and cant think of anything I have done wrong. I hit all my calories, I hit my fluid numbers, I have hit my power numbers, I emptied my bladder a couple of times. I should feel awesome, but I was getting weaker.

I decide that the only thing it could be is that it might be hotter than I planned and that I was low on fluids. On the next aid station or two, I take in an extra bottle (just water) and try to top myself up, this put an extra 30 or 40 ounces in me with about 45 minutes left to ride. This was a risk because I didn't want to end up with a sloshing gut on the run, but if I still felt like this when I got off the bike, it was going to be a long 26 mile walk.

So, I start to feel a little better around mile 100, but at this point, I am afraid to chase my power goal and thought it better to listen to what my body was trying to tell me. After all, I have a bunch of work left to do. I also knew that this end of the course gets congested again as people approach T2. So between the traffic, the downwind, the net downhill, and my feeling off, my power on the last 28 was AP: 163 and NP: 167. While this was off target, I wasn't too concerned because I knew I was getting blown down the course so my speed wouldn't suffer much.

Whole ride AP: 174 watts NP: 177. W

ith new P4, new Renn Rear Wheel, new FLO90 front, this power got me 4:46:10. Similar power on my old ride would have had me around 4:58 or so I think, so the upgrades were worth it to me. There is no more low hanging fruit left now though!

Bike Goal Time: 4:40 to 4:50
Actual Bike Time: 4:46:10

T2

T2 was just how I wanted, left shoes on bike, handed bike to volunteer, had helmet off before another volunteer gave me my gear bag and had the bag open before I sat down. Socks on, Shoes on, grab belt (with rest of stuff attached) and I was gone.

T2 Goal time: 2:00
T2 Actual time: 2:33

RUN

I had worked hard over the past year on the run (much more than on swim or bike), I put in big miles and had seen steady improvements all year with PRs 1 mile to 26.2, I was in great run shape and I was lighter than I had ever raced a long course triathlon. I had decided in the weeks leading up to race that I would target something between 7:45 and 8:00 depending on predicted weather. Weather was to be in mid to high 70s, so I picked 7:55.

That noted, I started the run scared. I felt like crap that last quarter of the bike, and I was worried that my race was going to be shot. Run nutrition plan was to take a cup of coke every mile or two and as much water as the stomach would allow in between. Also planned on a salt stick every two miles and had a couple of gels with me in case I had some kind of emergency between stations.

After getting sunburned so badly over the last few years at long course, I had a small bottle of sunscreen on the race belt. So in first mile, I did my best to wipe the salt and road grit off my exposed parts (everything except legs) and get a layer of sunscreen on them. This worked and I pitched the bottle at first aid station (and thankfully I am not burned at all after race despite no clouds in the sky and 8 straight hours in the sun).
My 910XT was set to virtual partner mode, so I and my digital buddy set off down the road. Right outside of transition, I spot Ironwife and I am hurting, I do my best to say hey, but I should have done better and thrown her a high 5 or something; when you are hurting like that, I guess all your mind kind focus on is the hurt.

The legs were working, even if I was mentally still fearful; first couple of miles, I had to restrain myself and I still ran 7:42 for those 2 miles.

I decided to use my breathing to control the pace (I read something about this in Daniels Running Formula). So, I am breathing every 3 strides (3 in and 3 out) and my pace starts to track toward my goal of 7:55. Around this time, I go for my first salt stick and notice that they are gone, dropped on course somewhere early on. Its time for a backup plan because I know that if I dont take on a ton of salt, I have a history of hamstring cramps late in long course triathlons. I will never forget standing still at mile 10 of Augusta 70.3 and watching the race go by due to a hamstring cramp.

I asked a volunteer at a station what salt they had and he said pretzels. That sounded fine to me. So my aid station routine changed and I added pretzels to the list. I should also note that while the temperatures didn't get over mid 70s, there were several spots on the course where there was no shade at all and I felt really hot, maybe it was just me. So I also devised a little thing with my jersey where I rolled the lower edge up inside and kept it filled with ice. So this kept fresh ice surrounding my whole abdomen the entire time, which seemed to help and since the Riviera is full zip, I could have the rest of the top open to the breeze (which we occasionally had).

I start checking off miles and start to notice somewhere around mile 5 that I dont feel like crap any longer and for that I am grateful. Perhaps I caught up on fluids, perhaps I was just happy to be off the bike, who knows, I felt better and the miles were ticking away.

I broke my marathon into two phases. Phase 1 was cruise control; check off the miles and focus on your pace and get your fluids and calories and most importantly, dont do anything stupid (especially like running too fast). Phase 2 started at mile 18, at that point I would start the countdown. I knew that if I was on track, I could run that last 8 around 1:00 or 1:05 and that was a manageable concept, but I wasnt going to consider that until I saw mile marker 18.

First 6.5 miles was right at a 7:50 pace (mostly because of starting a little too fast). I hit the park and was heading back to the Transition area and things were starting to hurt, but nothing too bad. It actually felt manageable and keeping a handful of pretzels to snack on seemed to be working thus far.

I hit the Alvins Island turnaround and skipped the special needs bag and was feeling pretty good. I saw my Mother and my little sister again and choked back some emotion and pressed on. After being out there for that long, it sure is nice to see your family smiling and waving.

Second 6.5 miles was at 7:59 pace, which put me right on track to hit the 7:55 target. At this point, I realized I was still breathing 3 in and 3 out and I decided it was time to go to my usual race breathing (2 in and 2 out) and see if that made my 7:55 pace easier. It did, before I really noticed it, I was at mile 15 and started to dream about a strong finish. I had to remind myself, no looking beyond mile 18! Stay on cruise control for 3 more miles, hit the nutrition, hit the fluids, eat your pretzels, dont worry about passing or getting passed, just run your race.

I keep the focus, ignore the pain in my feet and in my quads and IT bands, and just keeping ticking of the steps. Before you know it, I see mile 18 and I tell myself this:

You given hours of your life and the lives of others every day, you have taken time from your family, you have missed important things, you have sacrificed things, your family has supported you, your wife puts up with all of this: the training, the eating, the planning, the complaining, the 4:00am runs and the late night trainer rides . . . you have 8.2 miles to turn yourself inside out to make all of those sacrifices worth something, you have 1 hour to go earn what all those people have given you. . .

MY RACE HAS NOW BEGUN

3rd 6.5 miles, 7:49 pace, but now I am making things happen. I am still trying to get some calories and some fluid and some ice and some salt, but I am running through the stations.

Mile 19: 7:42, I am passing people left and right but this is a two loop course, so it is hard to know how many people are on their first loop and how many are headed for home like I am.
Mile 20: 7:47, legs are hurting, but no more than they should, I havent looked at my heart rate monitor once, but I dont feel like I am blowing up or anything.
Mile 21: 7:55, had to get one good dose of fluids and calories for the final push, slowed me a hair, I think I actually walked a few steps at this station.
Mile 22: 7:38, I see the 4 to go sign and think, "I got this now!" 4 miles is what I do for recovery! Then I feel a twinge. My left hamstring says, your mind might be willing, but you better watch yourself or I will end you. Not a cramp, just a threat.
Mile 23: 7:43 My mind is screaming GO GO GO, but legs are saying you might run this mile in 7:15, but you will walk the last 2.
Mile 24: 7:53, very busy part of the course, I hit up my final aid station douse myself with water for one final push. Negotiate with the legs one more time . . . please dont cramp, please let me push this thing.
Mile 25: 7:43, around this time, I pass a guy that I am pretty sure is in my AG and I am pretty sure is on the way home.
Mile 26: 7:30, legs be damned, the tractor beam is locked in and I am busting it. Course is congested on the way to the chute/turnaround and I am dodging people all over the place.
Last quarter mile: 6:44 (pace), I am pushing this with everything I have. I catch a guy in the chute with about 200 to go (not in my AG), my breathing is labored, I am wheezing heavily like I have emphysema, the left hamstring cramp is imminent now. I am screaming my head off, pumping my fists and smiling like a lunatic.

I cross the line and a volunteer catches me, and asks if I am OK, I respond with an expletive laced affirmative that I am way better than OK. I say where is my wife, and shockingly, this very helpful stranger doesn't know . . . but we find her and all is right with the world again.

Goal Run Time: Sub 3:30
Actual Run Time: 3:25:34.

Ironman Goal Time: Sub 9:30
Actual Ironman Time: 9:23:22

POST RACE

My Ironwife and my little sister help me out at the finish line, I got some warm close on and took a bunch of pictures. I waited for a fellow STer to finish and grabbed some pictures with him after his first IM (congrats Jason). I went back to meet up with the rest of the family and I ate a bunch, drank a bunch and hung out, smiled, laughed and told stories. I found out I got out of the water a dreadful 48th in AG and got as high up as 14th on the bike but then faded to 17th. My moderate start to the run had me eventually in 18th, but during that last half I caught all but 6 people. I finished 7th in M 35-39, including catching that one guy between 24.5 and the end.

Eventually I would learn that there were only 5 Kona slots for the AG and I thought there was zero chance that 2 would roll and give me a chance to make it. Somehow the guy in 6th went 9:14 and didn't get a guaranteed spot (crazy). I was happy to see that 6th place beat me by 9 minutes because I could have been perfect and not been close to him. I was also happy to see that I only beat 8th place by 58 seconds. Nothing I could have done on this day would have moved me into 6th and every ounce that I had is what got me out of 8th. Why does this matter so much? It is just one spot, right?

Well, I decided to go down and watch roll down and see how it all shook at. On the off chance of a miracle, I asked the registration table whether all the slots for the M 35-39 AG were taken (with about an hour to go). They said there were still two spots available and that there were rumors that they would not be taken.

I still had a shot! As it turns out, the two spots were not taken, so I and Mr. 9:14 will both be at Kona in 2014! I wanted to straight up qualify, but I will take the roll down, I am not ashamed of getting to Kona on a clean 9:23.

CONCLUSION

What a great day, I had some of the lowest points of my racing life, getting beat up in the swim, coming out of the water so far behind, observing some horrible cheating at the front of the race, falling off the power goal on the bike, fearing that the run was going to crash and burn; it made the success of the last 8.2 miles all the sweeter.

I am so grateful for the race staff and the volunteers putting on such a great event and so grateful for all the family supporting me through all this stuff. I have a strong feeling that Kona 2014 will be my last IM for some time, it will be shorter stuff after that, I just cant justify giving up the family time any longer to the training; it is an easy decision really.

But we are going to go out with a bang . . . ONE LAST HURRAH ON THE BIG ISLAND

Ironman Certified Coach

Currently accepting limited number of new athletes
Quote Reply
Re: Really Long/Detailed Race Report IMFL 2013 M35-39 7th Place 9:23:22 [bufit323] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
awesome!

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Re: Really Long/Detailed Race Report IMFL 2013 M35-39 7th Place 9:23:22 [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Congrats well deserved Kona spot, enjoy!

Best,
Greg
Quote Reply
Re: Really Long/Detailed Race Report IMFL 2013 M35-39 7th Place 9:23:22 [bufit323] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Awesome Race.

Great Report.

Congrats on your Kona slot.

----------------------------
Jason
None of the secrets of success will work unless you do.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
to add:

so, IMFL was basically base training for Kona. Time to bank that run fitness and learn to swim and run even faster over the winter. Bike racing in the spring, go totally beast mode and up your FTP by like 20%. Head to Kona strong and ready to rock.

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Really good report, lots of good detail on your plan as well which I appreciate. Super job on pacing your run.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Killed it man! Way to go!
Quote Reply
Re: Really Long/Detailed Race Report IMFL 2013 M35-39 7th Place 9:23:22 [MI TRI] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
thanks for sharing. thoroughly enjoyed this report. it was my first IM and I did it in 12:54 which was great for me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What a great read! Congrats and there is no shame in a 9:23 roll down! Well deserved!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great race, great report and congrats!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dude, congrats on an awesome race! This part is so huge:

bufit323 wrote:
. . . you have 8.2 miles to turn yourself inside out to make all of those sacrifices worth something, you have 1 hour to go earn what all those people have given you. . .

MY RACE HAS NOW BEGUN
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great read and great race.

Tractor beam FTW.

Thoughts on being an Urban Triathlete
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
great report. averaging 23.5+ mph on 180w is pretty strong - any pics of the setup?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
bufit323 wrote:
GENERAL INFORMATION

2013 Ironman Florida was my 3rd 140.6, having completed 2011 (10:23:55) and 2012 (9:54:29). In general I would say that I was an average high school swimmer 20 years ago and really only started running and eventually riding a bike in the last 5 years. I posted 2012 race report on here (cant find a 2011 one, so maybe I didn't do one):

http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...post=4265824#4265824

My plan for improving on my 2012 IMFL was to drop a few pounds if possible, run much more (attempt to do 2,000 miles in 2013), attempt to increase my FTP on the bike, and also expend some money strategically on the bike where I thought I could buy time. In 2011 and 2012, I rode a basic Cervelo P1. The bike was awesome for me and allowed me to get into a very aero position, but if I wanted to draw out the last of my remaining gains, it was going to cost me some cash.

So, I dropped about 5 pounds from my last season weight (from 141 down to about 136 at 57), I kept the run volume high (1684 miles through 11/2), and found what I thought was the most cost effective and aerodynamic bike that would allow me to keep an already proven position; I landed on a gently used 2011 P4. All the data leading into the race indicated that for the same Power, I would be much faster.

I knew coming into the race that I had a solid shot at sub 9:30 but was pretty sure that it would take sub 9:20 to get a Kona slot. I decided not to make Kona a goal, it wasnt something I had control over, I would go out, give the race everything and then let the chips fall.

PRE-RACE

Weather was looking to be great on race day, cool morning (60s) warm afternoon (70s) and no rain, but day before race day was going to storm.

I went to bed early the night before race, slept pretty good considering the typical nerves and was up at 3:00am. Normally, I wouldnt be up so early, but given the rain and wind in the transition area overnight (including exposed Bike and Gear Bags), I wanted enter transition as soon as it opened (4:30am) to deal with whatever surprises I might have at the bike or in either Gear Bag.

Got my pre-race meal down (2 PBJs and a 32 of Gatorade), got my stomach settled, got dressed and was at Transition for 4:30 without having to rush. Luckily, all the attention I put into double bagging all my gear inside the gear bags worked. My run shoes/socks were dry and my helmet visor was clean. I cleared all that excess stuff from my bags and headed over to the bike.

I removed all the plastic bags and after a little tweaking and lubing, everything was working great. From there, I went through my normal pre-race checklist, dropped off special needs bags (emergency use only) and headed off to meet my wonderful Ironwife for swapping gear, last minute hugs and the emotional goodbye that always seems to happen before I start one of these long distance efforts. I have two amazing moments on a big race day usually, the first is hugging and kissing he goodbye, the second is crossing the line and finding her in the crowd.

I ate a gel and was in the water splashing around, warming up, and getting loose at about 6:30, plenty of time to be out of the way for the Pro male start at 6:50 and Pro women at 6:55. I got settled on the beach (constantly tweaking cap and goggles), took my last gel and then started waiting for the cannon.

SWIM

This year IMFL had a different swim start than usual. In years past, the beach was open to everyone and when the cannon went off everyone headed out and aimed for whichever buoy they thought best in order to get to the Southernmost point of the course for the first turn (two lap rectangle swim course). This year, the start included a series of signs along the beach intended to better differentiate swimmers based upon their potential swim time. It seemed like a good idea. In hindsight, were I doing IMFL again next year, I would position myself differently.

I planned to swim 1 hour. My first IMFL swim was 1:01 in perfect conditions, my second was 1:03 in pretty rough conditions and I am in way better swim shape than either of those days, so I seeded myself with that in mind. I was about 1 person back when the cannon fired and we are off. Seas were a little rough, but nothing gnarly and the water temperature was perfect. After I cleared the breakers, I notice that I am getting absolutely beaten down. I have never had this much contact before in a swim. For at least a couple hundred yards it feels like I cant take a stroke without getting punched or kicked, HARD. Twice I roll onto my back to clear and reset my goggles from being kicked or punched in the in the face, most of the time, I just swim with water in them because I am just going to get hit again anyway. Around halfway to the first turn buoy, the contact becomes more of what I am used to. It is still something I dont like, but at least I dont feel like I am in an MMA match.

At first turn, the violence commences again and stays solid until we are headed back to the beach, then things finally start to loosen up some. I hit the beach at 30 minutes and feel pretty good considering the carnage. This year, the buoy setup is very clear and we are forced back in the water almost immediately upon passing the fresh water table and are swimming a diagonal to rejoin the rectangle around 100 yards of shore.

Second lap is less eventful, I feel like I am swimming strong, stroke feels solid; I am not fatigued at all. On the way back I feel like I am not sighting perfectly and maybe swam a little wide, but other than that, I am expecting to see something close to an hour. I hit the beach and see 1:04:45. I was unhappy about that, but there is little to do about it at this point. I guess my sighting was worse than I thought and that diagonal swim made the second lap a good bit longer than the first.

If I had this to do over again, I would forget the seeding and go far right (i.e. seed myself with the slower swimmers). Over there, I would have had clear water for a long part of the swim and maybe the carnage would have cleared itself up by the time I got where I belonged.

As I am heading up into the chute up to T2, I hear my little sister scream my name and I make sure that I wave at her so she knows that I heard her (so grateful for family support!)

Swim Goal: 0:59 1:03
Actual Swim: 1:04:45

T1

I am one of those guys that doesnt give up free time during the race, I try to keep the transitions lean, even at ultra distance. I was out of the water and running, I had the wet-suit down around waist and goggle and cap off before I got to my bag; I was passing people in the chute and not wasting a second.

I was wearing a De Soto Riviera Short Sleeve Top and Forza Low cut bottoms and planed to wear them both all day. This was a plan to help me avoid the horrible sun burn that I had gotten in years past while wearing a sleeveless top. The weather was going to be perfect so no need to complicate things by adding or removing clothing when this kit is perfect for the whole day.

I had the bag in hand and opened while running to the change tent and my helmet was on and buckled before I reached it. I ran to the last seat in the tent nearest the door and dumped out my shoes and got my suit off, thanked the volunteer and I was gone.

I ran towards my bike and pointed at a volunteer standing at my rack and hollered my race number. Racks were tight and he literally lifted it over his had to bring it to me; I put my shoes on while waiting. I ran past the mount line by about 10 yards and was off.

T1 Goal Time: 4:00
T1 Actual Time: 4:20

BIKE:

Now that I was on the bike, I felt way more in control of my race. I had done a workout recently and knew that I could do 180 watts for 5 hours and then run strong off the bike, so that is what I intended to do (for those that like Bike data, that would an IF of 0.75 based on FTP of 240 as verified by an all out 40k TT in September where I went 239 watts for 57 minutes and change on this exact setup).

I got on the bike and everything felt normal. I saw my Dad in the first half mile, gave him a wave and went to work. Legs were a little tight from the long ocean swim (I am not used to salt water swims and it always works slightly different muscles for me), but I was having no problem getting settled and hitting my power number and starting my nutrition plan. Course was a little congested, but the roads were good so no problem getting around people and getting moving. Later on I would learn that I came out of the water in 296th overall but managed to pass (net) 145 people prior to mile 15 of the bike (some of them were likely in T1 though).

Plan was a bottle of Powerbar Perform every hour and supplement with a concentrated calorie bottle throughout the bike. I am a little guy but have had success racing long course at around 300 to 350 cals/hour on the bike. It is probably on the high side, but my stomach can handle it and I figure it gives me some room for error if I drop a bottle or something. For higher intensities, like 70.3, I cant get nearly this much down.
I had success with this plan in training and in racing, but I was open to tweaking based on weather conditions. Were this race going to be hotter, I was prepared to take on nearly double this fluid amount (for same calories)

After about the first 6 miles, the course is a straight shot for roughly 16 miles. This is the first time that I really started to see a good bit of blatant drafting/cheating. I know that IMFL is known for it, but this is the first time I have seen it that bad in my three years racing here. I wont belabor it; I will just say it was bad.

Winds were predicted out of the NW, so we expected a headwind from mile 6 to roughly mile 56 (with some exceptions) and then a tail wind from roughly 56 to 106. With the head wind, I was able to target my power numbers and drill them perfectly. Then only exceptions were when I had to climb the bridge around mile 10 and when I had to surge to make a pass or coast to keep from entering a draft zone or to fall back out after someone else passed me. First 28 miles, AP: 178 watts, NP 181 watts. Perfect. Second 28 miles, AP: 181 watts, NP: 182 watts. Perfect.

Then we shifted to the tail wind. Around this time there is another really long straight section of the course with some rolling hills. It is probably from about mile 68 to about mile 82 (something like that, it is dead west with no turns). So we are getting a slight tail wind (turns out winds were more from the north that from the west) and I am dealing with some traffic.

I will remember this part of the course for two reasons. First, I came up on and passed a reigning Ironman World Champion. I dont care that she was taking it easy and using the race for qualification purposes. She had a 5 minute head start and I caught Mirinda Carfrae and I am counting it! As I passed her, I congratulated her on a great race last month and carried on. She said thanks and looked like she was having a nice ride in the nice weather. She is a Class act, loved racing with her for the 5 seconds I saw her on the bike.

Second reason I remember this part of the course, a few miles after I saw Rinny, I had an interesting experience with a fellow racer. I got passed by a big group, most of whom were making an effort to cheat. As they rolled through, somehow one of the group ended up on my back wheel (maybe he was resting or something). After I slowed and the group advanced to maybe 200 yards up the road, I noticed this guy was behind me. I asked him to get off my wheel and he pulled up next to me and asked if we could work together to catch the group down the road.

I asked if he planned to also cheat on the run, declined his request and then I turned it up a little bit to drop him. Happily I didnt notice him again, but he may have passed me at some point in a group later on.

During this 3rd Quarter of the bike, I found that I was losing my concentration and not focusing enough on my power. I was able to hold my 180 or a little higher on the uphills of the rollers, but the downhills were causing my average to drop (I wasn't working them hard enough). Add in the slight tail wind and I ended up on the 3rd 28 miles with an AP: 174 watts and an NP: 178. Not the end of the world, but not hitting my targets.

Around this time, we turned Southbound and finally get the benefit of the full tailwind and are also on a net downhill for most of the rest of the course. Somewhere around mile 90, I begin to notice that I am not feeling right. I am starting to get cold even though it is getting hotter, my HR is dropping, my RPE is too high for a power that is too low. I started running through my mental checklist and cant think of anything I have done wrong. I hit all my calories, I hit my fluid numbers, I have hit my power numbers, I emptied my bladder a couple of times. I should feel awesome, but I was getting weaker.

I decide that the only thing it could be is that it might be hotter than I planned and that I was low on fluids. On the next aid station or two, I take in an extra bottle (just water) and try to top myself up, this put an extra 30 or 40 ounces in me with about 45 minutes left to ride. This was a risk because I didn't want to end up with a sloshing gut on the run, but if I still felt like this when I got off the bike, it was going to be a long 26 mile walk.

So, I start to feel a little better around mile 100, but at this point, I am afraid to chase my power goal and thought it better to listen to what my body was trying to tell me. After all, I have a bunch of work left to do. I also knew that this end of the course gets congested again as people approach T2. So between the traffic, the downwind, the net downhill, and my feeling off, my power on the last 28 was AP: 163 and NP: 167. While this was off target, I wasn't too concerned because I knew I was getting blown down the course so my speed wouldn't suffer much.

Whole ride AP: 174 watts NP: 177. W

ith new P4, new Renn Rear Wheel, new FLO90 front, this power got me 4:46:10. Similar power on my old ride would have had me around 4:58 or so I think, so the upgrades were worth it to me. There is no more low hanging fruit left now though!

Bike Goal Time: 4:40 to 4:50
Actual Bike Time: 4:46:10

T2

T2 was just how I wanted, left shoes on bike, handed bike to volunteer, had helmet off before another volunteer gave me my gear bag and had the bag open before I sat down. Socks on, Shoes on, grab belt (with rest of stuff attached) and I was gone.

T2 Goal time: 2:00
T2 Actual time: 2:33

RUN

I had worked hard over the past year on the run (much more than on swim or bike), I put in big miles and had seen steady improvements all year with PRs 1 mile to 26.2, I was in great run shape and I was lighter than I had ever raced a long course triathlon. I had decided in the weeks leading up to race that I would target something between 7:45 and 8:00 depending on predicted weather. Weather was to be in mid to high 70s, so I picked 7:55.

That noted, I started the run scared. I felt like crap that last quarter of the bike, and I was worried that my race was going to be shot. Run nutrition plan was to take a cup of coke every mile or two and as much water as the stomach would allow in between. Also planned on a salt stick every two miles and had a couple of gels with me in case I had some kind of emergency between stations.

After getting sunburned so badly over the last few years at long course, I had a small bottle of sunscreen on the race belt. So in first mile, I did my best to wipe the salt and road grit off my exposed parts (everything except legs) and get a layer of sunscreen on them. This worked and I pitched the bottle at first aid station (and thankfully I am not burned at all after race despite no clouds in the sky and 8 straight hours in the sun).
My 910XT was set to virtual partner mode, so I and my digital buddy set off down the road. Right outside of transition, I spot Ironwife and I am hurting, I do my best to say hey, but I should have done better and thrown her a high 5 or something; when you are hurting like that, I guess all your mind kind focus on is the hurt.

The legs were working, even if I was mentally still fearful; first couple of miles, I had to restrain myself and I still ran 7:42 for those 2 miles.

I decided to use my breathing to control the pace (I read something about this in Daniels Running Formula). So, I am breathing every 3 strides (3 in and 3 out) and my pace starts to track toward my goal of 7:55. Around this time, I go for my first salt stick and notice that they are gone, dropped on course somewhere early on. Its time for a backup plan because I know that if I dont take on a ton of salt, I have a history of hamstring cramps late in long course triathlons. I will never forget standing still at mile 10 of Augusta 70.3 and watching the race go by due to a hamstring cramp.

I asked a volunteer at a station what salt they had and he said pretzels. That sounded fine to me. So my aid station routine changed and I added pretzels to the list. I should also note that while the temperatures didn't get over mid 70s, there were several spots on the course where there was no shade at all and I felt really hot, maybe it was just me. So I also devised a little thing with my jersey where I rolled the lower edge up inside and kept it filled with ice. So this kept fresh ice surrounding my whole abdomen the entire time, which seemed to help and since the Riviera is full zip, I could have the rest of the top open to the breeze (which we occasionally had).

I start checking off miles and start to notice somewhere around mile 5 that I dont feel like crap any longer and for that I am grateful. Perhaps I caught up on fluids, perhaps I was just happy to be off the bike, who knows, I felt better and the miles were ticking away.

I broke my marathon into two phases. Phase 1 was cruise control; check off the miles and focus on your pace and get your fluids and calories and most importantly, dont do anything stupid (especially like running too fast). Phase 2 started at mile 18, at that point I would start the countdown. I knew that if I was on track, I could run that last 8 around 1:00 or 1:05 and that was a manageable concept, but I wasnt going to consider that until I saw mile marker 18.

First 6.5 miles was right at a 7:50 pace (mostly because of starting a little too fast). I hit the park and was heading back to the Transition area and things were starting to hurt, but nothing too bad. It actually felt manageable and keeping a handful of pretzels to snack on seemed to be working thus far.

I hit the Alvins Island turnaround and skipped the special needs bag and was feeling pretty good. I saw my Mother and my little sister again and choked back some emotion and pressed on. After being out there for that long, it sure is nice to see your family smiling and waving.

Second 6.5 miles was at 7:59 pace, which put me right on track to hit the 7:55 target. At this point, I realized I was still breathing 3 in and 3 out and I decided it was time to go to my usual race breathing (2 in and 2 out) and see if that made my 7:55 pace easier. It did, before I really noticed it, I was at mile 15 and started to dream about a strong finish. I had to remind myself, no looking beyond mile 18! Stay on cruise control for 3 more miles, hit the nutrition, hit the fluids, eat your pretzels, dont worry about passing or getting passed, just run your race.

I keep the focus, ignore the pain in my feet and in my quads and IT bands, and just keeping ticking of the steps. Before you know it, I see mile 18 and I tell myself this:

You given hours of your life and the lives of others every day, you have taken time from your family, you have missed important things, you have sacrificed things, your family has supported you, your wife puts up with all of this: the training, the eating, the planning, the complaining, the 4:00am runs and the late night trainer rides . . . you have 8.2 miles to turn yourself inside out to make all of those sacrifices worth something, you have 1 hour to go earn what all those people have given you. . .

MY RACE HAS NOW BEGUN

3rd 6.5 miles, 7:49 pace, but now I am making things happen. I am still trying to get some calories and some fluid and some ice and some salt, but I am running through the stations.

Mile 19: 7:42, I am passing people left and right but this is a two loop course, so it is hard to know how many people are on their first loop and how many are headed for home like I am.
Mile 20: 7:47, legs are hurting, but no more than they should, I havent looked at my heart rate monitor once, but I dont feel like I am blowing up or anything.
Mile 21: 7:55, had to get one good dose of fluids and calories for the final push, slowed me a hair, I think I actually walked a few steps at this station.
Mile 22: 7:38, I see the 4 to go sign and think, "I got this now!" 4 miles is what I do for recovery! Then I feel a twinge. My left hamstring says, your mind might be willing, but you better watch yourself or I will end you. Not a cramp, just a threat.
Mile 23: 7:43 My mind is screaming GO GO GO, but legs are saying you might run this mile in 7:15, but you will walk the last 2.
Mile 24: 7:53, very busy part of the course, I hit up my final aid station douse myself with water for one final push. Negotiate with the legs one more time . . . please dont cramp, please let me push this thing.
Mile 25: 7:43, around this time, I pass a guy that I am pretty sure is in my AG and I am pretty sure is on the way home.
Mile 26: 7:30, legs be damned, the tractor beam is locked in and I am busting it. Course is congested on the way to the chute/turnaround and I am dodging people all over the place.
Last quarter mile: 6:44 (pace), I am pushing this with everything I have. I catch a guy in the chute with about 200 to go (not in my AG), my breathing is labored, I am wheezing heavily like I have emphysema, the left hamstring cramp is imminent now. I am screaming my head off, pumping my fists and smiling like a lunatic.

I cross the line and a volunteer catches me, and asks if I am OK, I respond with an expletive laced affirmative that I am way better than OK. I say where is my wife, and shockingly, this very helpful stranger doesn't know . . . but we find her and all is right with the world again.

Goal Run Time: Sub 3:30
Actual Run Time: 3:25:34.

Ironman Goal Time: Sub 9:30
Actual Ironman Time: 9:23:22

POST RACE

My Ironwife and my little sister help me out at the finish line, I got some warm close on and took a bunch of pictures. I waited for a fellow STer to finish and grabbed some pictures with him after his first IM (congrats Jason). I went back to meet up with the rest of the family and I ate a bunch, drank a bunch and hung out, smiled, laughed and told stories. I found out I got out of the water a dreadful 48th in AG and got as high up as 14th on the bike but then faded to 17th. My moderate start to the run had me eventually in 18th, but during that last half I caught all but 6 people. I finished 7th in M 35-39, including catching that one guy between 24.5 and the end.

Eventually I would learn that there were only 5 Kona slots for the AG and I thought there was zero chance that 2 would roll and give me a chance to make it. Somehow the guy in 6th went 9:14 and didn't get a guaranteed spot (crazy). I was happy to see that 6th place beat me by 9 minutes because I could have been perfect and not been close to him. I was also happy to see that I only beat 8th place by 58 seconds. Nothing I could have done on this day would have moved me into 6th and every ounce that I had is what got me out of 8th. Why does this matter so much? It is just one spot, right?

Well, I decided to go down and watch roll down and see how it all shook at. On the off chance of a miracle, I asked the registration table whether all the slots for the M 35-39 AG were taken (with about an hour to go). They said there were still two spots available and that there were rumors that they would not be taken.

I still had a shot! As it turns out, the two spots were not taken, so I and Mr. 9:14 will both be at Kona in 2014! I wanted to straight up qualify, but I will take the roll down, I am not ashamed of getting to Kona on a clean 9:23.

CONCLUSION

What a great day, I had some of the lowest points of my racing life, getting beat up in the swim, coming out of the water so far behind, observing some horrible cheating at the front of the race, falling off the power goal on the bike, fearing that the run was going to crash and burn; it made the success of the last 8.2 miles all the sweeter.

I am so grateful for the race staff and the volunteers putting on such a great event and so grateful for all the family supporting me through all this stuff. I have a strong feeling that Kona 2014 will be my last IM for some time, it will be shorter stuff after that, I just cant justify giving up the family time any longer to the training; it is an easy decision really.

But we are going to go out with a bang . . . ONE LAST HURRAH ON THE BIG ISLAND

That's a badass time man and you qualified for Kona, legit, bottomline. Congrats !

"Keep those feet moving!" Me
Quote Reply
Re: Really Long/Detailed Race Report IMFL 2013 M35-39 7th Place 9:23:22 [ether] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ether wrote:
great report. averaging 23.5+ mph on 180w is pretty strong - any pics of the setup?

These are not from that day, but everything is nearly the same. On this particular day, I did a 40k TT on 239 in 57:2x IIRC.

Differences between this and IMFL. At IMFL, my shirt was white, same shirt model though, at IMFL, I didn't have socks on, and at IMFL I didn't have the number flapping on me.

Pretty sure everything else is exactly the same. I am a pretty little guy and ride pretty aggressively. It is not an easy position to hold after about 3.5 hours and at IMFL it really starts to be noticeable because on that course you are in the bars 99% of the time. I think I used the brakes 3 times including entering T2. I did go ahead and get out of the bars a couple of times when being swallowed up by the packs. Figured if I had to coast out of the draft zone anyway, I might as well stretch for a few seconds as well.

Ironman Certified Coach

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the pics. That's a great position and very clean setup. something for me to shoot for! What kind of run mileage did you put in leading up?
Quote Reply
Re: Really Long/Detailed Race Report IMFL 2013 M35-39 7th Place 9:23:22 [urbantriathlete] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
urbantriathlete wrote:
Tractor beam FTW.

All of us know the amount of time we spend training out on the run and out on the bike and the mind goes to strange places. Nearly every run that I did this season, during the last mile or two, I would think about the last mile or two at IMFL, the part where you cross the main road, come out of the neighborhood and come down the stretch that is packed with people. It is always amazing to me that at some point the mind takes over and the finish line feels as though it is pulling you. For me it is a point where I just KNOW that I am going to make it.

It reminds me of the Star Wars tractor beam. All season I have been trying to extend the reach of that tractor beam so it could pull me in at 8 to go, or even further.

When I look at my HR data for the run, I see that it was steady holding and not increasing all the way until mile 18 where it started a steady climb and eventually a sharp climb (around mile 24) and peaked out near my normal 26.2 HR. When I look back at that, I always ask myself, couldn't you have cranked it up a little earlier, couldn't you have started that inclined slope earlier and had it be less steep, couldn't you have just sucked it up a little more.

In other words, I know that I have room to be faster if I learned how to HURT more.

Ironman Certified Coach

Quote Reply
Re: Really Long/Detailed Race Report IMFL 2013 M35-39 7th Place 9:23:22 [ether] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ether wrote:
What kind of run mileage did you put in leading up?

I averaged something like 44 mpw for the 4 months leading up to IMFL and had big run weeks in excess of 60 several times. Long run max was 18 that I did 2 or 3 times. On recovery weeks I would pull back to maybe 30 to 35.

Ironman Certified Coach

Quote Reply
Re: Really Long/Detailed Race Report IMFL 2013 M35-39 7th Place 9:23:22 [ericM40-44] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ericM40-44 wrote:
to add:

so, IMFL was basically base training for Kona. Time to bank that run fitness and learn to swim and run even faster over the winter. Bike racing in the spring, go totally beast mode and up your FTP by like 20%. Head to Kona strong and ready to rock.

I will PM you when I get some time. My FTP has been steady for over a year. I am willing to slow the running for a while to jack this number up, but need some guidance. Swimming is a different matter we can also discuss.

Ironman Certified Coach

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great race and excellent race report!
FWIW, you and I are from the same metro area. We haven't met, that I know of, but I've know of you since you posted your RR last year. I try to keep up with all the fast dudes in the area.
I was in the awards area on Sunday morning when you got your slot - awesome! Would have sought you out, but I was waiting for M60-64 roll down. My story isn't as happy, however, as M60-64 had two slots allotted (both taken), and I was 3rd.
A few comments:
I used the same jersey with Riviera shorts - I think Emilio has a winner there!
The first loop on the swim was brutal (much more than my previous 3 IMFLs)! I started at the water line, two time groups slower than the 1:15 I expected to swim. Couldn't get clear, guess others had the same idea. Still got the time though.
Yep, the crowds on the ride were crazy. This is the first time I've ridden a 20 mph average, so the first time I've experienced it first hand.
I found the same tractor beam - quite a force that!

Aloha, and have a great race at Kona! Congratulations!
Quote Reply
Re: Really Long/Detailed Race Report IMFL 2013 M35-39 7th Place 9:23:22 [mjlrun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mjlrun wrote:
I try to keep up with all the fast dudes in the area

Thanks for the compliment, oddly enough, I still don't think of myself as very fast because at all the local stuff I usually get smoked (I was top local at 70.3 thiugh). I have a shot at a local AG trophy or podium here or there, but I just don't have the top end speed of some of these guys doing sprints and OLYs.

Ironman Certified Coach

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Very nice write-up! Great race.
Quote Reply
Re: Really Long/Detailed Race Report IMFL 2013 M35-39 7th Place 9:23:22 [KSG65] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Awesome report. Thanks and CONGRATS!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
congrats on your KQ!

wait, you set target times for T1 and T2??? was this just based on your previous years?

Are you ready to do an Ultraman? | How I calculate Ironman race fueling | Strength Training for Athletes |
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fantastic write-up, thanks for taking the time to share your race experience.
Congrats on the Kona spot!

Prev Next