Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: they should stick a mic in front of Floyd everyday until gems like this stop coming out. [lanierb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
We know "...the US Postal Service Pro Cycling Team ran the most sophisticated, professionalized and successful doping program that sport has ever seen" was complete bullshit. It was rhetoric put out by Tygart to vilify his targets and get his name in the news. USPS' program was not even the most sophisticated among the various teams the witnesses rode for.

Storing your blood in an apartment closet to be watched over by an injured teammate with a high school education (USPS) is more sophicated than storing it at a University watched over by PhDs (T-Mobile)? Really?

USPS' program seems quite limited compared to teams like Liberty Seguros. USPS was only interested in doping part of the team that was needed for the Tour. The Operation Puerto records show LS and Kelme had pretty much every rider on a program for every race of the year.
Quote Reply
Re: they should stick a mic in front of Floyd everyday until gems like this stop coming out. [lanierb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lanierb wrote:
I wouldn't place any faith on anything Floyd says even now. Just because you find some of his statements more credible now than you did before doesn't mean you should extend that credibility to things you can't verify. The guy has proven he will say anything if he thinks it is in his interest. He does come up with some good one-liners though!

Care to point out anything Landis has said since he decided to come clean that you think is a lie?
Quote Reply
Re: they should stick a mic in front of Floyd everyday until gems like this stop coming out. [j p o] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
j p o wrote:
Floyd really reminds me of Canseco in baseball. No one likes them but they keep talking and the things they say end up being true.
Well, except for the fact that Floyd wrote a book that even he will admit is filled with lies.
Quote Reply
Re: they should stick a mic in front of Floyd everyday until gems like this stop coming out. [Arch Stanton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Arch Stanton wrote:
Care to point out anything Landis has said since he decided to come clean that you think is a lie?
That's a good question. I can't think of a specific recent statement that I think of as an outright falsehood. However, Floyd has definitely manipulated the truth to suit his purpose, and I think that behavior continues. He lied back then when it suited him: his legal defense fund, the book he wrote are good examples. A lot of people might lie a bit in such a situation, but these are extraordinary lengths to go to. I had dinner with him back around 2009, when he was just starting riding again. He was definitely not anti-doping at that time. On the contrary, he was lashing out against all the anti-doping forces trying to keep people like him out of the sport. (Remember Rock Racing?) Fast forward one year after that and suddenly he has to "clear my conscience" and "no longer wants to be part of the problem". I don't believe that crap for one second. Floyd does what's best for Floyd. Just because telling the truth happens to be convenient sometimes doesn't mean he won't change tune when it's not. But yeah I don't know if any of the stories he's peddling these days are true, half-true, or false. I just don't trust him.
Quote Reply
Re: they should stick a mic in front of Floyd everyday until gems like this stop coming out. [j p o] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
j p o wrote:

I'd love to believe that endurance sports are clean, but every time I see a great performance I always get the same feeling that I did when Nina Kraft blew the field away at Kona. That just ain't right.

Just curious....did you say "that just ain't right" when Chrissie shattered PNF's (once) course record @ Roth, or when she then shattered her own record the following year? Or when she arrived essentially out of nowhere and dominated IM distance races?

It is pretty easy to point the finger at Kraft when the evidence proves she doped, but how come no one ever questions Chrissie's dominance?

and no, I am not saying CW doped.....but people love to look at performances and say "DOPE!!" but for some reason Chrissie avoids this accusation. I find the difference interesting.

Chicago Cubs - 2016 WORLD SERIES Champions!!!!

"If ever the time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." - Samuel Adams
Quote Reply
Re: they should stick a mic in front of Floyd everyday until gems like this stop coming out. [Power13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Power13 wrote:
It is pretty easy to point the finger at Kraft when the evidence proves she doped, but how come no one ever questions Chrissie's dominance?

Plenty have.

Personally, I question anyone who dominates a sport. One thing that this whole deal has taught me is to be a massive cynic.

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
lanierb wrote:
Arch Stanton wrote:

That's a good question. I can't think of a specific recent statement that I think of as an outright falsehood. However, Floyd has definitely manipulated the truth to suit his purpose, and I think that behavior continues. He lied back then when it suited him: his legal defense fund, the book he wrote are good examples. A lot of people might lie a bit in such a situation, but these are extraordinary lengths to go to. I had dinner with him back around 2009, when he was just starting riding again. He was definitely not anti-doping at that time. On the contrary, he was lashing out against all the anti-doping forces trying to keep people like him out of the sport. (Remember Rock Racing?) Fast forward one year after that and suddenly he has to "clear my conscience" and "no longer wants to be part of the problem". I don't believe that crap for one second. Floyd does what's best for Floyd. Just because telling the truth happens to be convenient sometimes doesn't mean he won't change tune when it's not. But yeah I don't know if any of the stories he's peddling these days are true, half-true, or false. I just don't trust him.

So you have nothing other than you are shocked people act in their own interest.

Landis has been clear about why he came forward: If he could still be part of the sport then he felt he could live with the lying but when he was blackballed there was no reason to continue protecting everyone.

Again, I'll take Landis' and Armstrong's honesty about whether they would dope again in the same situation over those continuing to lie about how they feel bad about doping (JV's crew).
Quote Reply
Re: they should stick a mic in front of Floyd everyday until gems like this stop coming out. [DarkSpeedWorks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DarkSpeedWorks wrote:
Dang, more good stuff from floyd, this time about lemond:

“I would never pretend to know what I'd do in Greg's shoes. Nor do I know all of what went on between him and Armstrong,” Landis told Cyclingnews. “I can certainly empathize with his personal distaste for Armstrong. However, his inconsistent treatment of riders who doped is troubling and undercuts his argument that Armstrong should be banned for life.”

Landis points to an episode from last year in which LeMond was seen at the Tour de France with former winners Miguel Indurain and Bernard Hinault.

“For example just last year he was seen waiving to crowds from a VIP car at the Tour along with Indurain and Hinault. Greg himself claims to have quit racing in the early 90s because EPO showed up and that is exactly when Indurain began winning. If clean riders were a victim of doping in the Armstrong era and he was a victim of doping in the early 90s then it defies reason why those two should be treated so differently,” Landis said.

“And for those who still have faith in the Indurain years, consider LeMond's comments last year that Pantani was one of the greatest ever. I think that should speak for itself. His wildly varying positions on different dopers are bizarre and indefensible. Greg needs to decide if he’s anti-doping or anti-Lance.”

Direct link:http://www.cyclingnews.com/...ng-lacks-consistency[/quote[/url]]

[b][u]Greg needs to decide if he’s anti-doping or anti-Lance.”[/u][/b]

this!!!!

TriDork

"Happiness is a myth. All you can hope for is to get laid once in a while, drunk once in a while and to eat chocolate every day"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
lanierb wrote:
Arch Stanton wrote:

Some of you guys seem to be acting personally butthurt by Floyd and it's clouding your logic... You "don't trust him?" So he's a morally bereft scuzzball, BFD ~ it's not like he's asking permission to date my daughter. You cite examples of him being dishonest back in 2009, which just as I originally pointed out was back when he still had some shred of a livelihood left to try and cling to, so of course he was trying to protect what he thought he still could. Duh.

But you can't just simply write him off as a Liar and then dismiss anything else he has to say without looking at the merit of a claim (or lack thereof). If he originally lied about doping when he first got busted, and now says he was lying back then, it's a logical impossibility that both claims can be false; one of them mathematically HAS to be true. Yes, sorry it makes your brain hurt that a known liar can turn around and say things that are in fact true, but there it is. So which is more plausible: He was lying to save his job or what was left of it then (c.2006-2009 or thereabouts), or he really was clean all along and now he's just blowing smoke about doping back in the day so he can get some fresh publicity? Really?

Nobody's saying he's a great guy, only that (just like Canseco) there's no point in lying to protect The System once he's no longer part of it, so adjust your filters accordingly.
Quote Reply
Re: they should stick a mic in front of Floyd everyday until gems like this stop coming out. [OneGoodLeg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"He was lying to save his job or what was left of it"

Like we all would (or have ) to save your lively-hood.....and Floyd is a nice guy with sense of humor.
Quote Reply
Re: they should stick a mic in front of Floyd everyday until gems like this stop coming out. [Power13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Power13 wrote:
j p o wrote:

I'd love to believe that endurance sports are clean, but every time I see a great performance I always get the same feeling that I did when Nina Kraft blew the field away at Kona. That just ain't right.

Just curious....did you say "that just ain't right" when Chrissie shattered PNF's (once) course record @ Roth, or when she then shattered her own record the following year? Or when she arrived essentially out of nowhere and dominated IM distance races?

and no, I am not saying CW doped.....but people love to look at performances and say "DOPE!!" but for some reason Chrissie avoids this accusation. I find the difference interesting.

I would say I fear that what she did wasn't clean. I really want these guys to be clean and to have the amazing performances to be valid. I'm not betting my house on it.

I have very low confidence that the field in any endurance sport is clean, so by extension I have to fear the winner is not either. I don't find them to be morally repugnant like some do, if I were in the same position I cannot say for certain that I would not do the same, especially if I thought my competitors were doing the same.

I'm beginning to think that we are much more fucked than I thought.
Quote Reply
Re: they should stick a mic in front of Floyd everyday until gems like this stop coming out. [Beachboy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Beachboy wrote:
"He was lying to save his job or what was left of it"

Like we all would (or have ) to save your lively-hood.....and Floyd is a nice guy with sense of humor.

If fraud and blackmail make your list of characteristics for a "nice guy", we clearly have different standards.

"If ever the time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." - Samuel Adams
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would say it more like a trap animal fighting for he's life at one point. I'll give him a pass....

as I do to, Levi, Tyler, Etc. Etc......
Quote Reply
Re: they should stick a mic in front of Floyd everyday until gems like this stop coming out. [Arch Stanton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, Olympic Gold Medalist and World Champion pursuiters are generally poor time trialers. I'm not saying Wiggins is clean but at least take some time to be informed about his background.

Landis. He makes some good points. He also lied about doping, then bilked people out of money to fraudently defend himself. Quite an honorable individual, do you think he'll use whistleblower winnings to repay those debts?
Quote Reply
Re: they should stick a mic in front of Floyd everyday until gems like this stop coming out. [Carl Spackler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Carl Spackler wrote:
Yeah, Olympic Gold Medalist and World Champion pursuiters are generally poor time trialers. I'm not saying Wiggins is clean but at least take some time to be informed about his background.

Maybe you should take the time to actually inform yourself about Wiggins performance on the road. It was not great until he had his transformation, hence all the laughable excuses like Wiggins never bothered to train for the road.

Carl Spackler wrote:
do you think he'll use whistleblower winnings to repay those debts?

Seeing as how Landis has a deferred prosecution agreement contingent on repayment, I'll have to go with yes. LA will involuntarily end up repaying everyone who was dumb enough to think a Tour winner who had tested positive was not doping.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
lanierb wrote:
nslckevin wrote:
Things that prove doping include, a positive test, a confession, testimony from somebody who has witnessed the doping. Things that do not prove doping. "Wow, look how fast he's climbing."

I've said this before on ST and I'll say it again. Here are three things that we've been told that can't all be true:
  • "...the US Postal Service Pro Cycling Team ran the most sophisticated, professionalized and successful doping program that sport has ever seen." (USADA)
  • EPO can provide up to "...a 20 percent power gain!" (Vaughters)
  • The current top riders are clean. (not sure if you are saying this or not but some are)
Why can't they all be true? Because hill climb times are about the same. Sure, it matters what the wind was, where in the race, stage, etc the climb appeared, but there are too many observations to fall back on those explanations now. Day in and day out, no matter where the climb falls, on average climb speeds are in the same ball park as they were before. Certainly they are nowhere near 20% slower. The peloton slowed bit for a year or two, but they are now back to about where they were before.

So at least one of the bullets above is false. I actually think they're all false.

http://www.cyclecoach.com
http://www.aerocoach.com.au
Quote Reply
Re: they should stick a mic in front of Floyd everyday until gems like this stop coming out. [Beachboy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Beachboy wrote:
I would say it more like a trap animal fighting for he's life at one point. I'll give him a pass....

as I do to, Levi, Tyler, Etc. Etc......

As I said, we clearly have different standards.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
He won smaller stage races and placed high in prologues and TTs before his first switch to track, then more stage wins and top 10s at worlds TT prior to joining Garmin. That he had had a steady rise and progression of results all the way until 2012 when he basically won everything--with a dominant TT and surviving in the mountains--isn't a huge leap.

Believe what you want but at least get the facts straight.
Quote Reply
Re: they should stick a mic in front of Floyd everyday until gems like this stop coming out. [AlexS] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AlexS wrote:
Certainly they are nowhere near 20% slower.

20% power is a very different thing than 20% speed. Just saying. You'd have to do some math using the gradient, estimate rider weight, estimated power, etc, to calculate difference in speed. The difference in speed will be considerably smaller in magnitude than the difference in power.

It's difficult to find data on the benefits of EPO on power. There is one study that showed a 13% increase in power. Though it wasn't a perfect study because the test subjects weren't blinded - they knew they were taking EPO.

20%, I'd speculate, is a bit of an exaggeration, but possibly by not all that much.

The first statement is a judgment call. Though I think the "successful" claim is probably definitively true if you measure success by major wins.

For the last, I think the top riders are what I call "cleanish." Which is to say, dopers, but at a significantly reduced level from the 90's. It's more of a state of regulated doping vs. a free-for-all.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think plenty of people have rubbed their chins when observing CW's dominance - moving from self confessed 'muppet' to Kona champion in 18 months. In any case, I saw her cutting about in Bristol last summer; she still looks like she could make a comeback tomorrow.

29 years and counting
Quote Reply
Re: they should stick a mic in front of Floyd everyday until gems like this stop coming out. [Carl Spackler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Carl Spackler wrote:
He won smaller stage races and placed high in prologues and TTs before his first switch to track, then more stage wins and top 10s at worlds TT prior to joining Garmin. That he had had a steady rise and progression of results all the way until 2012 when he basically won everything--with a dominant TT and surviving in the mountains--isn't a huge leap.

Get your facts right. Those small stage races were early season races with no climbing and no TdF level contenders involved.

What steady progression? He never placed in the top 100 of the Tour until 2009. He never won a long time trial against top competition until 2012. Suddenly in 2012, he wins everything he enters then says he doesn't think he can bother training for the Tour again. Name a rider who won the TdF then proclaimed he did not want to train for it again. It was just damned strange.

You would be hard pressed to find another rider, other than Froome, with a more bizarre "progression" to dominant Tour winner. The fact that two anomalies are on the same team that hired a dope doctor is suspicious as hell.
Quote Reply
Re: they should stick a mic in front of Floyd everyday until gems like this stop coming out. [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
AlexS wrote:
Certainly they are nowhere near 20% slower.

20% power is a very different thing than 20% speed. Just saying. You'd have to do some math using the gradient, estimate rider weight, estimated power, etc, to calculate difference in speed. The difference in speed will be considerably smaller in magnitude than the difference in power.

It's difficult to find data on the benefits of EPO on power. There is one study that showed a 13% increase in power. Though it wasn't a perfect study because the test subjects weren't blinded - they knew they were taking EPO.

20%, I'd speculate, is a bit of an exaggeration, but possibly by not all that much.

The first statement is a judgment call. Though I think the "successful" claim is probably definitively true if you measure success by major wins.

For the last, I think the top riders are what I call "cleanish." Which is to say, dopers, but at a significantly reduced level from the 90's. It's more of a state of regulated doping vs. a free-for-all.
Not sure that quote is mine.

The relationship between power and speed on steep climbs is almost linear and more predictable than on other terrain, but still has a level of uncertainty due to factors mentioned earlier in this thread and some that I have pointed out before on my blog. Looking at the TdF ADH data, the speed differential of top riders was a bit more than 10% between pre-EPO and the full retard eras.

EPO has other benefits apart from increasing threshold power for climbs such as this. Aside from recovery, consider the slope of the MMP curve is pretty flat at longer durations, so think about what even modest improvements in threshold mean for ones endurance at sub-threshold power.

Quote Reply
Re: they should stick a mic in front of Floyd everyday until gems like this stop coming out. [AlexS] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Alp d'huez is only around 8%, and the 20ish MPH speeds are certainly enough for significant aero drag, so I bet the relationship isn't quite linear for those guys.
Last edited by: trail: Jan 27, 15 12:50
Quote Reply
Re: they should stick a mic in front of Floyd everyday until gems like this stop coming out. [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
Alp d'huez is only around 8%, and the 20ish MPH speeds are certainly enough for significant aero drag, so I bet the relationship isn't quite linear for those guys.
They are riding at ~20km/h, not mph.

At those speeds and power on such a gradient, the speed-power relationship nearly linear.

This is you would expect since the increase in gravitational potential energy accounts for 85+% of the total energy demand, and the power required to increase gravitational potential is linear with speed (and linear with mass).

Power to overcome changes in potential energy = bike velocity x total mass x acceleration due to gravity x sin(arctan(gradient))

Accounting for all resistance forces in play, for these speeds/powers on 8% gradient:
1% increase in power = 0.84% increase in speed
5% increase in power = 4.1% increase in speed
10% increase in power = 8.2% increase in speed.

That's nearly linear.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
AlexS wrote:
They are riding at ~20km/h, not mph.

Woops! My bad. When is the rest of the world going to get in line with 'Murican units?
Quote Reply

Prev Next