Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
test... your strokes normal vs streamline/dolphin
Quote | Reply
i see a new female WR in 100m breast... but looking at them come off the wall and go down the rest of the pool, a good majority of the time is spent streamlining and dolphin kicking. So if you have some time in the pool.... let me know your breast time normal, and starting the stroke right off the wall. If so include your other stroke comparison times.
Quote Reply
Re: test... your strokes normal vs streamline/dolphin [synthetic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
what?
Quote Reply
Re: test... your strokes normal vs streamline/dolphin [synthetic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
????

There's one dolphin kick allowed. That's it.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: test... your strokes normal vs streamline/dolphin [jkhayc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jkhayc wrote:
what?

+1

I wrote this, you should read it:
https://www.slowtwitch.com/...n_Swimming_6700.html
Quote Reply
Re: test... your strokes normal vs streamline/dolphin [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Regardless, I want to know how fast people are having no dolphin kick AND no huge stream line push off the wall, in particular for breast stroke
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There are a couple reasons breaststroke has gotten so fast.
First is the one dolphin kick allowed off the start and each turn.
The other is the narrowing and quicker turn over of the kick.
If done correctly it forces the hips up to the surface more creating more undulation.

I'm likely grossly over simplifying (or all together wrong), but look at how much the swimmers torso is thrown forward transitioning from recovery to the catch phase for the top breaststrokers.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dolphin kick underwater in a streamline is faster than freestyle. Compare free times to breast times. There's your answer. Not trying to be glib - is this what you're asking?

I wrote this, you should read it:
https://www.slowtwitch.com/...n_Swimming_6700.html
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dolphin kick, is that what you are calling a breaststroke kick ?

"I think I've cracked the code. double letters are cheaters except for perfect squares (a, d, i, p and y). So Leddy isn't a cheater... "
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
over what distance? Short or long course?

What do you want this information for?

Favourite Swim Sets:

Last edited by: JasoninHalifax: Jul 26, 17 13:25
Quote Reply
Re: test... your strokes normal vs streamline/dolphin [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:

SC or LC is fine. I'm kind of a purist, I feel no dolphin should be allowed . Some videos it felt if 5 actual breast strokes were taken, the rest of the swim glide and dolphin. These WR paces would be much more different in open water... Definitely higher percentage slower than taking it out of front crawl
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have no idea what you are talking about. There is one dolphin kick allowed in breaststroke It might make a half second difference, but probably not even that much.

And it Certainly isn't the majority of the swim.

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
synthetic wrote:
JasoninHalifax wrote:

SC or LC is fine. I'm kind of a purist, I feel no dolphin should be allowed . Some videos it felt if 5 actual breast strokes were taken, the rest of the swim glide and dolphin. These WR paces would be much more different in open water... Definitely higher percentage slower than taking it out of front crawl

I totally disagree with your viewpoint of being a purist. Breast stroke is cool because the technique is so individual. Overwater hands vs underwater, fast or slow cadence, all the "tricks" within the technique rules. This makes breast stroke the only one that doesn't hugely favor height. You don't have to be >6' 4" (male/female) to be fast. It totally favors finding the best technique for your body type. I guess this makes breast stroke the "thinking man/woman's" stroke.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
I have no idea what you are talking about. There is one dolphin kick allowed in breaststroke It might make a half second difference, but probably not even that much.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YsGHSe6N06w

race starts at 7s. the REAL breast stroke movement starts at 13s. turn point 35s mark to 39 is also non breast stroke. So not the whole swim, but 11s in the 57 swim is noteworthy especially as the race gets longer... and i can only imagine this is worse in an scy pool. if you where to do the frog kick of breast stroke off the wall... the parachuting drag would really decrease times too.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The pullout is part of breaststroke, has been forever. Im not seeing what's not purist about the fact that you can do an underwater pullout and breaststroke kick. There is only one dolphin kick on the underwater, timed either in conjunction with the pull or slightly before it. Most of the underwater portion that you are talking about is breaststroke.

Similar times to breakout as in 1984.

Favourite Swim Sets:

Last edited by: JasoninHalifax: Jul 26, 17 20:10
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
synthetic wrote:
JasoninHalifax wrote:

race starts at 7s. the REAL breast stroke movement starts at 13s. turn point 35s mark to 39 is also non breast stroke. So not the whole swim, but 11s in the 57 swim is noteworthy especially as the race gets longer... and i can only imagine this is worse in an scy pool. if you where to do the frog kick of breast stroke off the wall... the parachuting drag would really decrease times too.

They could make you turn without touching a wall so there was no push, only breaststroke...but why???

That clip looked like mostly breaststroke, not underwater pullout. Not sure what your point is here??
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
One dolphin, one pull out. The dolphin was new about 15 years ago, but the pull out has been from before I was alive and swimming.

All of that is swimming competitive breast stroke.

I was fastest in breast stroke. My pull out was my best part in a race.

Not new. Always part of breast stroke.

Unfortunately now, I only get to race freestyle and I was never fast at that.
Quote Reply
Re: test... your strokes normal vs streamline/dolphin [Jctriguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jctriguy wrote:
synthetic wrote:
JasoninHalifax wrote:

They could make you turn without touching a wall so there was no push, only breaststroke...but why???

That clip looked like mostly breaststroke, not underwater pullout. Not sure what your point is here??

I think synthetic is trying to get a handle on how much slower the best breaststrokers would be if they swam breaststroke in an OW swim. I'd guess the top 200 breast guys could prob swim a 1500 lcm breast in the pool in 18:00-ish vs 14:30-ish for 1500 lcm free, or about 25% slower.

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply
Re: test... your strokes normal vs streamline/dolphin [ericmulk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ericmulk wrote:
Jctriguy wrote:
synthetic wrote:
JasoninHalifax wrote:

I think synthetic is trying to get a handle on how much slower the best breaststrokers would be if they swam breaststroke in an OW swim. I'd guess the top 200 breast guys could prob swim a 1500 lcm breast in the pool in 18:00-ish vs 14:30-ish for 1500 lcm free, or about 25% slower.

I'm not comparing breast vs free at all. I want to know the actual rate of speed with out this under water bull crap, even with the rule change
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The rule was changed in 2005.

here is your answer

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_record_progression_200_metres_breaststroke

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
I'm not comparing breast vs free at all. I want to know the actual rate of speed with out this under water bull crap, even with the rule change

Why is it bull crap? Are you just getting into competitive swimming recently ?

"I think I've cracked the code. double letters are cheaters except for perfect squares (a, d, i, p and y). So Leddy isn't a cheater... "
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
The rule was changed in 2005.

here is your answer

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_record_progression_200_metres_breaststroke

I want to still know rate of speed with pure breast stroking. To compare someone doing OWS in breast stroke.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
there was a graphic on the cbc.ca feed showing swimming speed (in m/s). I think their feed was coming from Eurovision.

look for that...

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
in your link, peaty hit the 35m mark in 17.5s and the 50m mark in 26.61.

You do the math...

never mind, i did it for you.

1:00.7 for 100m with no dive, pullouts, turns..

Favourite Swim Sets:

Last edited by: JasoninHalifax: Jul 27, 17 11:35
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The kicker is I am guessing most of the people here talking about the "free" stroke are actually talking about "front crawl." Except in a medley race the term free means you can do anything, it means freedom to pick whatever you would like. Heck if a person is swimming in a free stroke race they can do back if they want to. Now when it comes to an IM/medley race there are limits to what the term free means.
Quote Reply
Re: test... your strokes normal vs streamline/dolphin [tyme] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
the first mention of "freestyle" was from tallswimmer. I'm pretty sure he knows the rules intimately...

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply

Prev Next