Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
run power project
Quote | Reply
Ok folks, I am doing a project to figure out power to weight ratio for runners. I need this from you: 10k PR, age, BMI, gender. Here is the calculator: https://www.google.com/search?q=bmi+calculator
Quote Reply
Re: run power project [synthetic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Most recent 10k PR (in the past two years): 39:47
10k PR: 37:42

BMI: 26.3
Caveat: At the time of the PR, BMI was ~25. Also, BMI doesn't account for BF%/muscle, as I'm sure you know. Just curious why you are choosing BMI

How are you doing the project? And what's the question you're trying to answer? I'm curious

Last edited by: odpaul7: Jan 18, 18 19:49
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
39:59
M
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
36 years old.

BMI of 24

10k PR of 38:15.

Male
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
10km PR (all-time, but set in the last few weeks - 36:53)

BMI: 20.7
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
38:59
M
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wants to know power to weight. Doesn't ask for weight.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
36:34 10k PR (from 5 years ago)
Currently 39 (10k from three months ago was 37:27)
BMI 22.8
Male

Blog: http://262toboylstonstreet.blogspot.com/
https://twitter.com/NateThomasTri
Coaching: https://bybtricoaching.com/ - accepting athletes for 2023
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
10K PR: 33:21
BMI: 20.9
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
synthetic wrote:
Ok folks, I am doing a project to figure out power to weight ratio for runners. I need this from you: 10k PR, age, BMI, gender. Here is the calculator: https://www.google.com/search?q=bmi+calculator

How do you calculate power from this info? Wouldn't it be highly dependent on body morphology, running economy/stride and elevation profile as well?

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Founder of VeloVetta Cycling Shoes
Instagram • Facebook
Quote Reply
Re: run power project [RowToTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RowToTri wrote:
synthetic wrote:

How do you calculate power from this info? Wouldn't it be highly dependent on body morphology, running economy/stride and elevation profile as well?

yea it wont be perfect, but something to work with. just like stryd power meter - which doesnt take these factors into consideration either. But no one bothered doing this, it has to be done!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'll give my PR of 18 years ago.

36:06
male
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Best of luck!

10k PR: 34:41
BMI: 18.5
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BMI: 24
10k pr: 39:55

Dan Mayberry
Amateur a lot of things, professional a few things.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
synthetic wrote:

From my 10k PR about 10 years ago.

time: 40:07
BMI - 26.5 at the time
Male

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
32:25
24 years old
21.5 BMI
M
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi synthetic,

Disclaimer: I am with Stryd

Stryd does account for running economy and the elevation profile. Stryd also considers important factors of body morphology such as height and weight.

Best,
Angus & the Stryd Team
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I get it: BMI is a short cut that attempts to cut two independent variables down to one. But it is such a total garbage shortcut! It has been garbage since it first started becoming popular 25 years ago. The latest datapoint that it is total garbage: according to recent data, Jay Cutler (NFL "quarterback", 6'3", 266 lbs) and Donald Trump (6'3", 269 lbs) have the same BMI.
Quote Reply
Re: run power project [Koz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Koz wrote:
I get it: BMI is a short cut that attempts to cut two independent variables down to one. But it is such a total garbage shortcut! It has been garbage since it first started becoming popular 25 years ago. The latest datapoint that it is total garbage: according to recent data, Jay Cutler (NFL "quarterback", 6'3", 266 lbs) and Donald Trump (6'3", 269 lbs) have the same BMI.

Yes bmi doesn't indicate muscle to fat amounts. But then again some fat slobs can put down impressive run numbers.. so it's fine here.

As for stryd, it doesn't factor in morphology, such as limb length. I will be more interested in the product if it gather more data points... Arm swing, knee height , kick back height, etc
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi synthetic,

Stryd does include in the major factors of body morphology such as height, weight, and leg length.

If you would like to learn more about Stryd, you can read our white paper on metric validation here: https://storage.googleapis.com/...etric-validation.pdf

Best,
Angus & the Stryd Team
Quote Reply
Re: run power project [StrydAngus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How do you account for elastic energy storage and return?
StrydAngus wrote:
Stryd does include in the major factors of body morphology such as height, weight, and leg length.
If you would like to learn more about Stryd, you can read our white paper on metric validation here: https://storage.googleapis.com/...etric-validation.pdf
Quote Reply
Re: run power project [Bio_McGeek] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bio_McGeek wrote:
How do you account for elastic energy storage and return?

Now that's a bit of a silly question, isn't it, Jim?

Accelerometers can't determine the source of energy causing acceleration any more than strain gages can determine the source of energy generating force (torque).
Quote Reply
Re: run power project [Andrew Coggan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Andrew Coggan wrote:
Now that's a bit of a silly question, isn't it, Jim?
Accelerometers can't determine the source of energy causing acceleration any more than strain gages can determine the source of energy generating force (torque).
I don't think its silly at all. Really important actually.
Try this experiment: Hop in place at your own self selected height and frequency. Note how hard it feels; not very hard at all.That's because when you hop at self selected frequency you take advantage of energy storage and return from your "leg spring". Just like you do when you run. Now do a hop and stop, hop again, stop, repeat several times. Note how hard it feels; much much harder than self selected hopping. When you hop and stop, each hop is done with muscular power and the metabolic cost is much higher. I would expect that anyone who wants to make an objective measure of muscular power during running should know this and make an attempt to account for it.
Quote Reply
Re: run power project [Bio_McGeek] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Try this experiment: pedal your ergometer at, say, 200 W while seated, then while standing. Would your metabolic rate be different? Almost certainly. Would your power output be different? No.

IOW, you're thinking about the input, whereas what Stryd (or, e.g,, SRM) is measuring the output.
Last edited by: Andrew Coggan: Jan 19, 18 18:37
Quote Reply
Re: run power project [Andrew Coggan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Andrew Coggan wrote:
IOW, you're thinking about the input, whereas what Stryd (or, e.g,, SRM) is measuring the output.
Okay, fair enough. But in the case of (largely) concentric cycling, power output provides a really nice indication of muscular/metabolic effort. With running? A lot of the power output is from stored and returned elastic energy. So I guess I just don't see the point of measuring power that comes partly from muscular contraction and partly from spring return.
All I'm saying is that I would make an attempt to account for spring return. I take it from your responses that stryde doesn't.
Let me ask a different question: How does styrde account for negative power?
Quote Reply

Prev Next