Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
iwoniwoniwoniwoniwon
Quote | Reply
Well, I guess the title says it all. Today, for the first time in my life (I'm hoping it's the start of a trend), I won a race. It was a little race with around 150 people, but I crossed the line first, and I'm ecstatic!!

It was a ridiculously hot day at the Cutting Edge 1/2-Iron race in Effingham, IL. Temps were around 90 on the run, with high, high, high humidity.

Pre-Race: We were fortunate enough to get a hotel room with a fridge and mirco, so I pretty much had my normal food last night and this morning. When I got up, I super-hydrated, by drinking a litre of water chased by a litre of gatorade. In retrospect this was a bad idea.

Got to the race site running a little late, but everything went smoothly to get set up in transition and marked. Luckily the lake was 82 degrees, so I didn't have to take the time to get my wetsuit on. I hopped in the water for about 5 mins of swimming before we started. I really needed a longer warmup.

Swim: The gun went off and things were going well. I had had the swim course explained to me, but either I heard it wrong, or the guy told me wrong. I kept forgetting to turn at the turn buoys. I kept thinking that there was another buoy to swim to before the turn, but then everybody around me suddenly disappeared and I was chasing! This happened twice, with a long period of solo zig-zagging in the middle. Not good. I estimate that I lost at least 2 minutes on the swim being stupid. When I crossed the timing mat and saw 25:59, I though, "Ahh, the swim was short." Then general consensus was that the swim was 1500-1600 meters.

T1: Actually pretty good for me, as I'm usually pretty slow in transition. Despite the minor setback of taking my timing chip off, I was on the bike in 1:22.

Bike: Here is where it all started to come together. I got going and knew it was going to be a good day right away. The only problem was all the liquid in my belly. I felt terribly bloated, and when I was in the aeros for the first 45 miles or so, I could actually feel my legs coming up and hitting my expanded belly. Not cool. I was a little worried, but otherwise things were going very well. At mile 8, I was in seventh place, about 4-5 minutes behind the leader. By mile 35, I had ridden into the lead. It was already getting pretty hot, and my HR was rather high, but I was riding well, and I knew if I was to have any chance at a high placing, I needed to put time in on the bike, since my run is my weak link. When I was getting close to the finish, I looked at my average speed and the total diatance, and thought, "Why aren't I in yet?" The reason? A 57.9 mile bike course!

The P3C continues to amaze me, and, while I'm still getting used to them, I'm starting to LOVE the rotor cranks.

T2: Another very quick transition for me, changed shoes and was off in 1:12.

Run: It was just brutally hot. The run was almost pan flat, and there wasn't an ounce of shade anywhere. It was a double out and back, on a long, exposed, hot strip of road. As I did the first several minutes of the run, I saw the next bikers come in, and I saw one guy blaze through transition. I thought, "Uh, oh, this guy's a runner." I was running pretty well. Not fast, but not too bad considering the heat and my effort on the bike. The runner passed me at around mile 1.5. I tried to stay with him for a while, but there was just no way. Unfortunately for him, within a mile he had a flare-up of a back problem, and had to pull out. I hope he's doing better tonight.

I made it through the first lap okay, but it was getting hotter and hotter. There were no mile markers, so I had no idea how fast I was going, but my HR was in the 170s, and my girlfriend told me I had 2:40 on second and third at the half-way point. From then, each time I looked back, I seemed to be pulling away from them.

I was getting pretty hot, and then mile 9 came. Mile 9 was a very dark mile. I started feeling really weak, and I actually felt a little chilly, which I'm sure was not a good sign. My HR was hovering in the 180-182 range. I really wanted to walk, but I made myself "run" until about 200 metres before the turn-around. As I walked those 200m to the aid station and turn, I had my last gel. Then I started talking to the gel. "Come on gel," I said, "rev me up like you are supposed to! Come on gel!!". I had the gel, got to the aid station and got some water and a cold sponge, and was off again. My HR had dropped and I was running much better. I kept looking for the guys who had been in second and third, but never saw them. I don't know what happened to them. So now I was running a little scared. I was only 3 miles from home, but I wasn't positive who was in second place. So I just kept going. It kept getting a bit bad right before the aid stations, but then some water and gatorade and ice eased the pain.

I didn't let myself believe that I might win until I made the turn for home (1 mile to go). Then I realized that there was no body behind me and I was going to do it. I thought I might cry a little when I saw my wonderful girl, Stephanie, waiting at the line. There wasn't a huge crowd, but I soaked in the cheers, nonetheless.

Final numbers:

Swim (1500-1600m):
Time: 25:59

T1:
Time: 1:22

Bike(57.9 miles):
Time: 2:29:45
Speed: 23.2
AVHR: 153

T2:
Time: 1:12

Run (general feeling was that this was accurate):
Time: 1:51:19
AVHR (for the second lap): 177

Overall:
Time: 4:49:35

Post Race: A nice celebration dinner was in order, followed by lots of fluids, stretching, and sleeping (soon). This week is all about recovery before the push to Wisconsin!! Bring it on!!

It was a great time on a brutally hard day. Congratulations to Tim for his strong 2nd place and to ahoodlum for honors in M20-24. I'm sorry I didn't get to meet more st people there. If you were there, chime in!!

-Colin

------------------------------------------------------------
Any run that doesn't include pooping in someone's front yard is a win.
Last edited by: CCF: Jul 17, 05 23:34
Quote Reply
Re: iwoniwoniwoniwoniwon [CCF] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
And then... Or was the race to T1?

"Non est ad astra mollis e terris via." - Seneca | rappstar.com | FB - Rappstar Racing | IG - @jordanrapp
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Congratulations.

But we really need to hear what happened next to truly share your experience.;-)
Quote Reply
Re: iwoniwoniwoniwoniwon [Rappstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sorry, I accidentially posted before finishing the story!! It's all there now!

-Colin

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sounds like a strong race... You really do pay the bills on the bike, though, huh? That is a strong ride for any 1/2 IM course. Sounds like a great day! What was the trophy? Was it one of those regular trophy trophies or was it something unique? Details on the glory stuff man! Were there podium girls? Are you in the local paper... It's all about the babes, man!

"Non est ad astra mollis e terris via." - Seneca | rappstar.com | FB - Rappstar Racing | IG - @jordanrapp
Quote Reply
Re: iwoniwoniwoniwoniwon [Rappstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No podium girls, sadly. My girlfriend has told me that they are the only other women I'm allowed to kiss. :)

The trophys are pretty generic, a little statue of a runner on a marble base. But I did get two: one for the overall win, and one for the fastest bike split!

Yeah, the bike is definitely my strong suit. I just stated running in Sept, 2003, so that's still a work in progress.

Thanks for the kudos!!

-C

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My old roommate won a 1/2 im race last year. You are both very lucky. You have no idea of how many people would love to be in your situation. I have never won a race but have finished within seconds of the women's winners on several small races (not that I'm racing women). Never seen such elation as watching someone win a race male or female.

What's it really like to have everyone else behind you? On a lot of races, I only know the route because I'm so far back that I can follow a line of people.

Would you rather win a race or beat a PR?

It's a dry heat!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Congratulations! Nothing like the feeling of having an A+ race day.

Quote | Reply
Fantastic!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
nice!

congratulations!

Stuff I like:
PBscience Triathlon Coaching and Lab Testing
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Very cool, CONGRATS! :-)

-
"Yeah, no one likes a smartass, but we all like stars" - Thom Yorke

smartasscoach.tri-oeiras.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was the guy that blazed thru the transistion area and unfortunately the guy with the back problems CCF:) Really really dissapointing, I was ticking off 7 minute miles easily. My disk popped right out, happens to me from time to time. I guess that is why you keep trying even if you get passed, you just never know what is going to happen. I saw you heading out on the second loop and was really bummed.. For someone to pass me on the bike like you did it would of been nice to return the favor on the run:)

Anyway congrats, temp was at 97 when my wife was packing up my transition area for me... tough day

Ken www.michiganoutlaws.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
maybe I should have entered that one...wouldn't got stuck in Tulsa!
Quote Reply
Re: iwoniwoniwoniwoniwon [Ken in Mi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Way to go Colin, Tim, and Ken. What the race lacked in geographical features it made up for in oppressive, sweltering heat! Didn't hit any goal times myself, but I'm quite happy with my first AG win. And it was cool finally meeting someone from ST at such a small race. I hope this is a trend for you too, Colin. So what's up next? First at IMMoo?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bravo, Colin...

-------------------------------------------------
http://www.teamorganicnyc.com
Sponsored by: TBA
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
CCF...awesome job ! Keep it up.

Dev
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
congratulations...that sounds like a blast!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
great work.

the course sounds very similar to the high cliff 1/2 a couple of weeks ago.

our swim was short and the bike was 57.7+ miles.

swealtering also.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Colin, excellent race. Great bike. I think we all destroyed our legs on the bike, except Ken who didn't seem to mind popping out 7:00 minute miles in 96 degree weather. Next time we race 1.2 on the swim and 2 less mile on the bike right :) Next time you need to tell me how crappy your feeling on those turn arounds so I get more motivated to chase :)

Great job, you deserve it with that huge effort on the bike and sticking with that run.

Tim
Last edited by: j3ckyl: Jul 18, 05 8:47
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Colin great race. First, I think it is cool that For certain the top four people in the race all are involved in this forum in someway. It seems to make the "race circuit" a little larger. Secondly, I was wondering from anyone who did the race if they have ever raced in such hot conditions. Heat, Humidity and zero shade. I swear, My next race is going to be in Alaska. Again, congrats to all who suffered through a hot day.

Colin, see you in Madison. Ken, Hope the back is better.

JTG(#3)

-----------------
My races
Boston Marathon
Florida 70.3
Was IMMOO, Now IMFLA
Quote Reply
Re: iwoniwoniwoniwoniwon [JTG2000] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Half-Max was a bit cooler, like 92 or something, but there was at least shade on the run, unfortunately lots of hills as well, but I am starting to think I would rather take the shade. I swear, there was this little section going out along Beach road that had 3 feet of shade going into the road for about 6 feet. I diverted towards it just to get that freaking sun off me.

1/2 Championships out in KC was pretty hot. I think it was like 87 or something last year and zero shade on the run except for maybe a 400 meter stretch that went along a trail. Big difference though between 87 and ~95
Quote Reply
Re: iwoniwoniwoniwoniwon [JTG2000] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
[reply]Secondly, I was wondering from anyone who did the race if they have ever raced in such hot conditions[/reply]

I seem to be cursed with 1/2IM weather. I've done 4 now, and each has been in very hot, humid conditions. So I guess if it's bad again in Madison, everybody can blame the fast that I'm there!

-Colin

Quote Reply
Re: iwoniwoniwoniwoniwon [Ken in Mi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ken, how is your back doing today?

-Colin

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Back is better today. Thanks for asking. Going to stick with the short stuff the rest of the year. Was really hoping I would make it thru this one.. oh well. sprinting it is for the time being
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Way to break in the new rocket!

Keep em coming!

Fish

Seeing him in deep torment, I said. " You can have my last GU , but its been down my pants for most of the run". - John Hirsch

Take care of your body, its by far the coolest thing you're going to ever own.- Can't remember who told me this, but I love it.
Quote Reply

Prev Next