Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
help me achieve my position without shelling out $450 for a custom stem!
Quote | Reply
I'm getting creative trying to get into the bike position I want without compromises. I'm on a Felt IA16 size 51, which seems to be one of the best combinations of stack / reach for a bike that (allegedly) accepts a standard stem (but they cut the steerer so short I’ll probably need to get a new fork for a new stem)

* Pad stack: under 570
* Pad reach: at least 546
* pad angle: 23 degrees
* I need about 330 mm of extension beyond the center of the pad since I put my elbows right on the pad.
* I’d like to avoid having to turn the base bar up to achieve my pad angle / bar angle.

Pic: https://photos.app.goo.gl/SQZZ8BRtOGLtcDn23

The reach and pad tilt are 100% for comfort-- as I get less long (and have less tilt) I become less and less comfortable. At "my" length / tilt I feel I’m literally just relaxing down on the bike. Even being 1 cm shorter makes a pretty noticeable difference. That pad stack is very comfortable -- it would be great to have the option to get lower, even if I choose not to use it. (PS, I tried the tririg alpha -- it was low enough but not long enough and didn’t have enough tilt and bothered my back.)
Here are the only 2 solutions I can think of:

1. PRobably dangerous: use a 130mm adjustable stem at -40 degree angle. Then put the pads about 7.5 cm up the extensions (I have to use tririg extensions since they are the only ones long enough). https://photos.app.goo.gl/Ql058AzPx7JX6PLS2

2. Get a custom stem- 155 mm / -40 degree angle. (I’ve comfortably ridden a 140mm -17 in the past which ends up being the same length-- less responsive but more stable vs. short stem). That gets the base bar out long enough for me to use the new zipp vuka clip and gets me a tiny bit of room to get lower if I want.

I got a quote for that custom stem for $450. (if anyone has a recommendation for custom stems, I’m all ears)
Any other ideas before I pull the trigger on the stem?

Coach of TriForce Triathlon Team

Last edited by: kevincoady: Sep 14, 17 16:18
Quote Reply
Re: help me achieve my position without shelling out $450 for a custom stem! [kevincoady] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Trials bikes use ludicrously long stems:
https://www.tartybikes.co.uk/20_inch_stems/trialtech_race_forged/c29p10462.html

Last edited by: MattyK: Sep 14, 17 17:39
Quote Reply
Re: help me achieve my position without shelling out $450 for a custom stem! [kevincoady] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Totally off topic but are you from the philly area? Saw your name and it looked familiar, then I realized I've seen you on Strava segments in NE Philly lol.
Quote Reply
Re: help me achieve my position without shelling out $450 for a custom stem! [MattyK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MattyK-- thanks!!! I did a pretty intensive google search for long stems but somehow they didn't show up. I owe you a beer if I see you!

Quote Reply
Re: help me achieve my position without shelling out $450 for a custom stem! [ridenfish39] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes! I grew up in Willow Grove and also lived in Center City for awhile. When I visit my parents I take the gravel bike out on the Pennypack Trail-- I'm guessing that's where you saw me on Strava.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
kevincoady wrote:
MattyK-- thanks!!! I did a pretty intensive google search for long stems but somehow they didn't show up. I owe you a beer if I see you!
Next time you're in Australia, sure thing! Coopers Pale Ale please.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
All that aeroness blowing up the Rudy Project Drag Chute on your head ????
Quote Reply
Re: help me achieve my position without shelling out $450 for a custom stem! [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ha! I should have anticipated that comment! For some reason the Rudy Wingspan tests really well on me. I've tested it vs. the LG P-09, the Giro Selector, Giro Advantage 2 and a couple of other helmets and it either wins or loses by just a watt or two. I haven't tested it against the Aerohead yet.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That setup is Fuggly. The 22.2mm standard is 7/8". Any Ace Hardware will sell you a 6" piece of aluminum tubing for less than 20$. Stick one end in a vise and bend it to the desired angle(s). Don't worry about crimping it or making a mess, just get the position correct without some dumb ass stem. Once you have the prototype made, either get someone to fabricate bars or just wrap them in carbon fiber.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The Wingspan was always a good helmet, and still holds up for many people today. It's the Wing57 that's the dog.

Looking good, Kev. See you in Kona?

Jim Manton / ERO Sports
Quote Reply
Re: help me achieve my position without shelling out $450 for a custom stem! [grumpier.mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
hmmm... I don't trust myself to DIY something as critical as a stem, but I do like the idea of doing some carbon wrapping to make it all look nice.

Quote Reply
Re: help me achieve my position without shelling out $450 for a custom stem! [grumpier.mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
grumpier.mike wrote:
That setup is Fuggly. The 22.2mm standard is 7/8". Any Ace Hardware will sell you a 6" piece of aluminum tubing for less than 20$. Stick one end in a vise and bend it to the desired angle(s). Don't worry about crimping it or making a mess, just get the position correct without some dumb ass stem. Once you have the prototype made, either get someone to fabricate bars or just wrap them in carbon fiber.
a) it's a race, not a beauty contest

b) extensions are 22.2mm, but not sure how that helps with stem size?

Kevin, any thoughts to changing the extensions to something with less stack above the base bar? That might allow a less radical stem. e.g. (the old version of the) 3T Clip On? Or even an under-bar mounted extension?

Quote Reply
Re: help me achieve my position without shelling out $450 for a custom stem! [Jim@EROsports] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks Jim! I never felt comfortable on a tt bike until you got me getting longer and tilting the pads! I'll let you know how the crazy stems work out.

We're skipping Kona this year (first time I won't either race or spectate since 2010). If I'd have known you were going maybe I'd have doubled my efforts to convince the wife to go! Next year!

Quote Reply
Re: help me achieve my position without shelling out $450 for a custom stem! [MattyK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the suggestions.

Those 3t brackets are pretty sweet. The look like they'd help me get lower (and they seem to have less frontal area vs. clamping on top or bottom), but I'd have to still figure out how to get much longer. I might still consider looking into getting some of those even after I get the stem.

It seems the undermounts get me a little lower, but I don't think even the tririg 450mm extensions are long enough to get up to my hand (and don't have enough bend).

I ordered the 2 of the crazy stems (only 20 bucks each) and they should get here in a week or so. I'll share pics once I put them on!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
kevincoady wrote:
Thanks for the suggestions.

Those 3t brackets are pretty sweet. The look like they'd help me get lower (and they seem to have less frontal area vs. clamping on top or bottom), but I'd have to still figure out how to get much longer. I might still consider looking into getting some of those even after I get the stem.

It seems the undermounts get me a little lower, but I don't think even the tririg 450mm extensions are long enough to get up to my hand (and don't have enough bend).

I ordered the 2 of the crazy stems (only 20 bucks each) and they should get here in a week or so. I'll share pics once I put them on!
The downsides to the 3T clip ons are that they have no pad reach (or height) adjustment (only a little width adjustment), and you have to cut the extensions to the right length. But they use the standard 22.2 extension diameter and you can buy the pads/clamps separately from the extensions. And internal routing isn't so easy because the cable can't come out the back end...

Look forward to the stem photos!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
USE Tula alloy extensions at 40 or 50 degree

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
OK, here it is. 180 mm -35 degree stem from tartybikes + zipp vuka clip in longest position + pad angle of 23 degrees. Feeling super comfy. New fork should be coming in soon so I can take it outside. I don't expect the long stem to cause any handling issues, but we'll see! (longer always felt more stable for me in the past, but I've only gone up to 140)

Quote Reply
Re: help me achieve my position without shelling out $450 for a custom stem! [ericMPro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
those have a great angle but I don't think they are long enough

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That looks like a photo of your adjustable stem??
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sorry about that! You are right-- good eye. This is the correct photo.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
kevincoady wrote:
Sorry about that! You are right-- good eye. This is the correct photo.
Well if there was one thing I was going to look at in the photo!... ;)

Now you just need to turn your base bar backwards so you can reach the brakes...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The basebar reach should be fine if I hack off a bit from the end of the bullhorns.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What crank arm length are you using?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My god, I've created a monster. I should pull out a before pic from a few years ago.

Jim Manton / ERO Sports
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You could go seriously unconventional and flip the base bar toward you for a DIY Revo ;)
Quote Reply

Prev Next