Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Yoga for Sports [Francois] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Francois,

I began going to yoga classes about 15 years ago when I first got into tri's in an attempt to loosen my hamstrings. What began as an adjunct to tri training has evolved into something much more. As I approach 40 I'm still racing...most importantly I'm injury-free. Also, I began teaching yoga a few years ago and I've found that the pranayama (breathwork) has really helped to keep me focused during moderate to high intensity workouts.

It does take time but if you think of it as training (ie the more flexible your hams/lower back the easier it will be to ride aero for longer periods of time...comfortably) you'll find it easier to make the time to do it. Find what works best for you. I submit practicing a little every day has much more beneficial cumulative effect than say a 90 minute class once or twice a week although your body may respond better to something different. One thing I tell all my students, "it's your practice...not mine. Listen to your body".

Good luck & Namaste

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
Michael in Fresno
"Do you spend time with your family? Good. Because a man that doesn't spend time with his family can never be a real man" V. Corleone
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Francois, I do 20 min per nite of Yoga before going to bed in the off season, and it really helps my core mobility. I should do it in-season, but I am so busy in tri season between training, work, family and coaching my son's soccer team, that I can never get to it.

The other secret to avoiding injury is do all your intensity in the pool and on the bike and just run aerobically, off pavement. Of course, at your level, you do want to run hard, but keep in mind that Paula Newby Fraser won hawaii one year when she barely did any running due to an ankle injury.

As I tell many people, it is better to arrive at the race undertrained for the run but intact, than trained for the run and cripple :-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It is difficult to find a yoga class that really caters for what you are looking for. Attending classes is important to learn about proper form and correct breathing.

What I have been doing for the past 2 years is to use a Rodney Yee video called (I think) Yoga conditioning for athletes. It has several short routines for different sports but we always do the one-hour general workout.

It is different than yoga classes I have attended but it's essentially a stretching/balance/relaxation routine without the 'humming' and 'esoteric' aspects of yoga. We only do one workout a week but it is fantastic stretching. I always feel 'rejuvenated' after that. I very highly recommend it.

You just need the discipline to do it regularly.

Francois in Montreal
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've done Yoga off an on for the past 9 years...though it's been more off than on since 2001 when I started doing triathlon....mainly because I didn't make time for it since triathlon was consuming so much of my free time. But, in my experience yoga is great, but classes can vary greatly, depending on the type of yoga, and the instructor.

Not all classes are so esoteric. A yoga studio called Yoga and Spinning that is lite on overt spirituality/mysticism opened a little over a year ago here in L.A. (Venice). The studio is run by this awesome women named Kimberly who, in her multi-faceted past, once raced triathlon as an elite. She's developed a class called "Yoga for Athletes" that is a set series of poses designed with the athlete in mind that incorporate a nice balance of stretching and strength. It is a fantastic workout! The one nice thing about it being a fixed series of poses is that you can easily measure your improvement in strength and flexibility through time. She's an amazing woman with an inspiring background (former attorney / pro triathlete / cancer survivor / businesswoman). She has received some notoriety and I think she has plans to expand her proprietary Yoga for Athletes class to other studios in L.A. and beyond.

Clearly, this isn't so useful if you don't live in LA. What is useful is knowing that she is releasing a DVD that, according to her website, will be available on 12/1. I haven't seen it, but I imagine the DVD will be essentially the same series that would you do in her class. You should definitely look into this: http://www.go2yas.com/

I think I've seen ads in triathlete magazine for another DVD along the same lines that is yoga for endurance athletes. I haven't seen this one either, but it might be worth checking out too.

Namaste!
Quote Reply
Re: Yoga for Sports [ShawnF] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey ShawnF. The show isn't bad. The only annoying part is that a lot of the people sort of dance while they're doing Yoga b/c it's all done to music. It's sorta weird sometimes... once you see it, you'll know what I mean.

I usually just stay in the position they leave me in when commercial rolls around. It's usually something simple that feels good like just leaning forward. I usually tivo it so sometimes, I just fastforward through them. But the commercials aren't that long usually.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
there is a DVD- it is Richard Hee doing Yoga for athletes-and he's doing it in Hawaii! he does an overall yoga class then you can go to different sports sections i.e. run, bike, tennis, ect for specific yoga poses. I really enjoy this as he seems to understand that athletes HATE those long poses and like to get on to the next.
Quote Reply
Re: Yoga for Sports [frenchfried] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I actually like the long postures...it gives me time to do something else than roll on my back because I can't bend my legs and keep a flat back and other things like that...
you have time to get things right.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There is another DVD INFLEX which uses some yoga and core strengthening. interesting.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I absolutely encourage participating in Yoga (all aspects of it) Not only does it force you to stretch, but the mental aspects of it are great for reducing stress and developing a better mind-body connection. It is really good IMHO for mental focus, identifying and comfortably pushing your limits and respecting your body... something all out us can learn from. I can honestly say that I am the most relaxed at the end of a Yoga class. I also noticed that when I cut back on yoga towards the end of last season when I could not fit it into my schedule, it felt like some injuries were on the verge of popping up (PF, IT band issues) Upon resuming a regular practice, they subsided. I think the only thing you have to be careful about is that Yoga can be a great tool for preventing injuries associated with triathlon or any other stresses, but may not be the best at trying to heal them once they have occurred, although everyone responds differently...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Francois,

I highly recommend yoga. I got into for a few years upon starting graduate school, but have unfortunately gotten away from it for a few years. Predictably, I have gotten quite tight in the hams/hips/calf areas and have had recurring injuries. I've been meaning to start doing it again, and your thread has motivated me to do so. Thanks.

And the holding the long poses is the whole point. too often we stretch but not long enough.
Quote Reply
Re: Yoga for Sports [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Have you looked at Core Performance - either the book or website? There's a 3 week free trial code at gojessi.com. I've just started the program and like it so far.

I take a yoga class after spinning a couple times a week. My flexibility is poor but getting better. What's not to like about a class where you get to take a nap at the end :)
Quote Reply
Re: Yoga for Sports [frenchfried] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
there is a DVD- it is Richard Hee doing Yoga for athletes-and he's doing it in Hawaii! he does an overall yoga class then you can go to different sports sections i.e. run, bike, tennis, ect for specific yoga poses. I really enjoy this as he seems to understand that athletes HATE those long poses and like to get on to the next.

I'm all about long poses these days. I use them to REALLY feel a stretch, to chill out mentally, to challenge my balance, and to kick my own butt with the strength poses. They're a great tool to practice patience. How patient are you really? Hold a pose for 10 breaths, or a series of similar poses for 30 breaths and find out...

I hope you give them another look.

-----------------------------------------------------
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
NOT sure why but i like the spiritual asspect, maybe cuz i have sero in my daily life...........maybe that why some are affraid of it and call it JUNK.

t~
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There are lots of different types of Yoga.

Iyengar - A softer on the body classical style of yoga, Iyengar is perfect for beginners and those who haven't exercised in a while. It uses props such as chairs, straps, blocks and pillows, and even sandbags, to compensate for a lack of flexibility, which is helpful for anyone with back or joint problems

Ashtanga (Power Yoga) the preferred choice for athletes, Ashtanga yoga is light on meditation but heavy on developing strength and stamina. The poses are more difficult than those performed in other styles, students move quickly from one pose to another in an effort to build strength and flexibility.

Bikram done in a hot room that is 38C or higher (to replicate the temperature of yoga's birthplace in India); this style of yoga focuses on 26 postures that are performed in a certain order. The exercises are very physical and the intensity is high.

Hatha: This mellow form of yoga focuses on simple poses that flow from one to the other at a very comfortable pace. Participants are encouraged to go at their own pace, taking time to focus on the breathing and meditation in their practice. This yoga is ideal for winding down at the end of a tough day.

Kundalini, which incorporates mantras (chanting), meditations, visualizations, and guided relaxation. It focuses on healing and "purifying" the mind, body, and emotions. Kundalini yoga is designed to activate the kundalini energy in the spine.

Kripalu, which is more spontaneous, flowing, and meditation orientated. Kripalu yoga starts with the first stage, postural alignment and intertwining of breath and movement, and the poses are held a short time.

Viniyoga, a slower more individualized form of yoga. This form develops strength, balance and healing, make it ideal for beginners, seniors, people with chronic pain or who are in rehabilitation from injury or disease.

Raja-yoga, which aims for "liberation through meditation." People who are capable of intense concentration mainly practice this form of yoga.

Bhakti-yoga, or "devotional yoga," which focuses on self-surrender in the face of the Divine.

Mantra-yoga, or "yoga of potent sound," which aims at liberation through the verbal or mental repetition of empowered sounds, such as "om," "hum," or "ram."
Quote Reply
Re: Yoga for Sports [Sparticus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
With the differant styles of Yoga -- you need to pick the one that fits your needs.

Also - Different instructors make a class feel very different -- so if you do not like one class - don't give up, try a different instructor.

Hatha, Ashtanga and Bicrams are the three most popular.
Quote Reply
Re: Yoga for Sports [Sparticus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
With the differant styles of Yoga -- you need to pick the one that fits your needs.

Also - Different instructors make a class feel very different -- so if you do not like one class - don't give up, try a different instructor.

Hatha, Ashtanga and Bicrams are the three most popular.
Noooo... whoever does that? Go wherever the prettiest girls are!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Francois, here is a response from my wife, She is a yoga instructor, she works with many athletes.

Francois,

I think you are on the right track, but then again it's not my place to

judge. As a yoga teacher, I thoroughly enjoyed your response: "well taking

away philosophy and meditation from yoga is like taking a bike and removing

the wheels and handlebars...it's not a bike anymore." I couldn't agree with

you more. There are many layers to yoga, and most of the time they begin at

the physical level. As you continue your practice, you will begin to

explore stillness within motion, strength within ease and wisdom within

action. You will learn to listen, observe and assess where you are without

judgment. The beauty of it is that while you're doing all these things,

you're improving strength, flexibility and stamina.

By now, I'm sure you know that yoga is non-competitive which is very

different from the mental mindset of the many athletes. This is another

reason why the entire realm of yoga is so important. Sure you could walk in

to a Bikram class and do the 2 rounds of 26 asanas in the 105 degree room,

but you need to ask yourself how it will benefit your practice, and is it

what your body needs? As a teacher, I would recommend finding a certified

teacher preferably one who is registered with Yoga Alliance.

http://www.yogaalliance.org These are professional men and women who have had

extensive training. Keep in mind that there are no laws requiring a teacher

to be "certified" to teach yoga, so that is something to consider. I would

also suggest working with a teacher who teaches from alignment before you

jump into something like Ashtanga, Bikram or even Yin. You should be

learning pelvic stability and core engagement (amongst other things) before

doing your first down dog. You may also want to take a look at the book

called Yoga for Every Athlete by Aladar Kogler Ph.D. It is a great book

regarding the mental aspect of yoga and the athlete, but is lacking (IMO) in

the physical aspect of yoga. I personally would not mimic the posture

pictures in the book, as they are not from alignment.

Before my class begins, I always remind my students of a few key things.

First is to form an intention for that night's practice. It can be as

simple as "to clear my head" or "to gain length in my spine". This way if

their mind wanders, (which I guarantee it will) they have something to bring

it back to. I also remind them to practice vinyasa krama which simply means

to assess where they are...again, this is done without judgment; everyday

and every practice is different. And most importantly, I ask them to honor

their body and rest when they need to rest.

Regarding pranayama (breath control); as a beginner, you can safely practice

three-part breath, diaphragmatic breathing, ujjayi, and nadhi shodhana

(alternate nostril breathing). I would stay away from more advanced

pranayama practices until you are comfortable with these or you are working

with a qualified instructor. Breath is a very powerful thing.

Lastly, yoga advises that you don't eat for 3 to 4 hours prior to practice.

If you must eat, have something that is easily digested like a piece of

fruit, but do so at least an hour before you begin your practice.

Namaste (which you may have heard in class, means the light in me sees and

honors the light in you)

Shannon

----------------------------------------------------
Striving to have sex more than 66 times per year
Quote Reply
Re: Yoga for Sports [Erik Clark] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sounds like you've got a good woman Erik. Does she have a sister? :-)

Quote Reply
Re: Yoga for Sports [BottomFeeder] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nope, she has a brother though. Isn't that more your style :-)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
3 or 4hrs???? geee...I can only do yoga early am...and even then...that's only if my night was long enough
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Nope, she has a brother though. Isn't that more your style :-)
Tell her I'm sorry she has poor taste in men.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Francois,

Early AM is ideal, though hard for most of us to get up and moving that early. As long as you are sleeping between the hours of 10:00pm and 2:00am, your body will have the opportunity to rejuvenate. The metabolism reconstructs during this time. Everything that you put in to your body the day before will be transformed. Your body will take what it needs and excrete the rest. Thus, the stomach will be empty first thing in the morning. So an early AM practice is a good thing :)

Shannon

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
btw...got your email...will answer in detail during the weekend
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey Erik, thanks for adding Shannon's comments!! Any chance you can ask her if she knows what Vinasha yoga entails!? I'm not familiar with this style and I'm looking to take a class this afternoon and there's no description included!?!? Yes, I can call, but I'm lazy! ;)

Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: Yoga for Sports [Kestrelkerri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi this is Shannon, I just decided to log in and answer myself. I believe you mean vinyasa yoga. Vinyasa is a style of yoga that links the postures with breath. It is usually fast paced, but can be a slow flow as well. You may do multiple rounds of sun salutations, standing, balance, prone, supine and seated postures. In most cases it becomes almost like a dance. This is my personal favorite :) Have fun if you go, and remember to work at your own pace. The instructor should show modifications for the postures. These modifications should be in the lesser version as well as the more advanced version of the postures as most instructors teach in the middle if it's an open class. I hope this helps.

Shannon

Quote Reply

Prev Next