Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Ullrich has left Coast... bets on where he's going
Quote | Reply
Ullrich has left Coast (big surprise):

http://sports.yahoo.com/...euters&type=lgns

Any bets on where he's going? (Let's see who is Nostradamus.)

http://irondad06.blogspot.com/

http://irondad.blogspot.com/

Quote Reply
Re: Ullrich has left Coast... bets on where he's going [IronDad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nowhere for a while. Ullrich is under a 4 year contract with Coast. There are plans for Bianchi to become main sponsor of the team. I think Ullrich will find himself in court if he tries to sign with another team.

---------------

"Remember: a bicycle is an elegant and efficient tool designed for seeking out and defeating people who aren't as good as you."

--BikeSnobNYC
Quote Reply
Re: Ullrich has left Coast... bets on where he's going [GT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Oh, I don't think his contract, as it were, will be a problem. First of all, "contracts" in sports are enforced about as frequently as Pantani is winning mountain stages lately, and secondly, I'd say there has been a material breach by Coast.

So... "contract" out of the way... where is he going?

Quote Reply
Re: Ullrich has left Coast... bets on where he's going [IronDad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Actually cycling has a history of forcing cyclists to honor contracts. Gonzales just went through months of battles over his. Coast has been suspended before, and it was not considered a "material breach." So, I don't think he is going anywhere. I think his manager is trying to stir things up, but if the team is taken over by Bianchi as it looks like it will, they will hold him to it, or a long legal battle will take place. I doubt any other team will try to buyit out, since he is a very big unknown right now.

---------------

"Remember: a bicycle is an elegant and efficient tool designed for seeking out and defeating people who aren't as good as you."

--BikeSnobNYC
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
From what I understand, the speculation is that the Coast team will be disbanded and the entire Coast organization will be offered positions with the Bianchi team - but this is very risky. First, all the riders will be free to choose a new team as their contracts will be void if the team disbands. How many would go back?? The second problem is the TDF. Jan wants to race the TDF (though I think it is impossible for him to win, but I digress...), but there will be no guarantee that Bianchi will be able to race - Team Coast is in, not Team Bianchi. They will have to see if they get in on May 17th, which I think is the day the remaining teams are chosen.
Quote Reply
Re: Ullrich has left Coast... bets on where he's going [JohnA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Team will not be disbanded. Bianchi will assume title sponsorship role. It is not Coast's team, but a cycling team that is sponsored by Coast. It is also the team that has the invite for the TdF, not the sponsor.

From Cyclingnews.com Ullrich and Pevenage to go Dutch

Belgian Rudy Pevenage and Dutch Jacques Hanegraaf have submitted a request to the UCI to take over the financially embattled Coast team, which has been suspended due to difficulties in paying its riders. The team will see Bianchi assume the role of head sponsor, and will keep its riders and staff largely intact. However, it will have no further dealings with Gunther Dahms and the Coast sponsorship, due to the problems encountered so far this season.

"The team will ride under a Dutch licence," said Hanegraaf, who was for a brief time a manager of the Farm Frites team, to ANP today. The Professional Cycling Council will make a decision in a few days time about the manoeuvre.

---------------

--BikeSnobNYC
Last edited by: GT: May 14, 03 12:06
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
During the Giro coverage, I thought I heard Phil and Paul that the team would need to be disbanded and reformed in order for Bianchi to take over lead sponsorship. They mentioned something about an awful lot of paperwork to get through in the 9 days before the Tour team selections were complete for changing title sponsors. Difficult maybe, but not impossible.

They also mentioned other teams that are not slated to ride Le Tour may be looking to land Ullrich hoping to land an invite should Coast fold.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Actually, it is Coast's team. Gunther Dahms owns the team and the department store chain. They have appealed to the UCI to have them take the license from Dahms and his management organization and give it to Pevenage. They came close to a deal with Bianchi that still included Coast, but Rudy and Jan simply refuse to work with Dahms or Coast in any capacity.

If they can't get the UCI to transfer the license, then Coast is essentially dead and Ullrich will go elsewhere. If they decide to start a new team - even if they hire alll the Coast riders, there is no guarantee that they will get in to the TDF.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
GT... are you by any chance related to Ullrich? You seem so sure about all you say dismissing everything else said on this thread. Just thought you might be getting this from the freckled one himself.

Truthfully no one knows what's going on with Jan (other than the parties involved). We don't know what's in his contract, we don't know what's happening under the table, and we certainly don't know what's going on with Coast, Bianchi nor the TdF.

Having said that, I'd like to see him on a Cervelo in July ;-)
Quote Reply
Re: Ullrich has left Coast... bets on where he's going [JohnA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Any news about whether Cipos team (domina) is getting a bid into the tour?

I think that ullrich might go to telekom... They are already qualified for the tour and he could come in and be a force...
Quote Reply
Re: Ullrich has left Coast... bets on where he's going [taku] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Telekom? I don't think that'll happen in a million years.

Speaking of German "athletes," did you know the famous "Devil" that stalks cyclists on big climbs is sponsored? A company called LUK clutches pays his way to races to torment riders with his pitchfork.

Also, he is a world record holder for:

THE LARGEST BICYCLE:

http://www.recordholders.org/en/records/didi.html

THE LARGEST YARDSTICK

http://www.recordholders.org/images/yard.jpg

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

No sidewindin bushwackin, hornswaglin, cracker croaker is gonna rouin me bishen cutter!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
the big question about ullrich is why didn't he go with csc? tyler hamilton is showing that csc is team to be reconned with and we all know thw quality of te bikes. coast wasn't paying it's riders and had no history. bad bad choice.

customerjon @gmail.com is where information happens.
Quote Reply
Re: Ullrich has left Coast... bets on where he's going [Saber] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
GT... are you by any chance related to Ullrich?

No, but I keep up with cycling, other than just the tour. I don't see the Coast people just letting Ullrich walk away from his contract. Coast has been fighting the whole time, I don't see them giving up now. Gonzalez fought for months about his contract. I doubt Ullrich will get anything done in time for the TdF selection without an outright release. I don't see that happening. Of course this is opinion and speculation, but that is what was asked for.

I am suprised that the guy who owns Coast also owns the team. Many teams are not owned or controlled by the sponsor, such as Cipo's team.

Time will tell.

---------------

--BikeSnobNYC
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Since this thread was about guessing where Ullrich was going, not whether he was, my vote goes for CSC. THAT would make the tour interesting and have people watching.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
yeah. what saber said.

customerjon @gmail.com is where information happens.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Actually, it is likely that he would go to Cofidis if he goes.

That's what the newspapers and media in France and Switzerland say at the moment.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would rather he not go to CSC... Tyler is shaping out to be quite a rider and a leader who was looking foward to a strong followup in this years tour... I would worry about how the presence of Ullrich... who would probably come to the team with his own agenda of wanting to "announce" his return to the Tour... this would not be a good fit for Tyler... maybe for Ullrich... If the posties haev shown us anything, it is that the team is important...

Other than that I also heard the rumor that cofidis is in the lead especially with the unfortunate loss of vinokurov earlier in the year at paris-nice... I would actually like to see him go back to telecom... I heard rumors that they have expressed an interest in his return... then again we all know that a rumor plus a quarter will buy you a gumball... or something like that
Quote Reply
From ProCycling.com [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Coast crisis: Ullrich to hotfoot it to Quick Step?

Jan Ullrich is no longer under contract to Gunther Dahms' troubled Team Coast. By way of a clause in his contract that stipulates that non-payment of his salary means that he is free to leave, Ullrich is now waiting to see if he will be able to ride this year's Tour de France.

An ever-increasing likelihood for the German is Patrick Lefevere's Quick Step-Davitamon team. According to a source close to the squad, Lefevere made Ullrich a firm offer just after Milan-San Remo in March when Coast had just returned from their first period of suspension. However, the offer was turned down at the time as it was widely believed that Coast's troubles were over.

Now, according to L'Equipe, Dahms' German clothing chain, Coast, is close to bankruptcy. But as recently as Monday, Dahms was talking about bringing in Dutch vitamin company Vitamehr - who are apparently ready with a multi-million euro budget - as main sponsor.

The Ullrich camp, though, which includes manager Wolfgang Strohband and sports director Rudy Pevenage, are unwilling to work further with Dahms, bankrupt or not, and have taken full advantage of the clause in Ullrich's contract. They are now trying to work out a deal that would make Bianchi - who were originally set to come in as co-sponsor of Coast - the head sponsor, keeping the structure of the team as it is, with nothing changing except that Dahms and Coast would be out of the way.

So what happens next? Team Coast has been removed from the UCI list of registered teams and, when and if a new sponsor is found, they will be re-registered. As it stands, though, the team is out of this year's Tour de France, meaning that there are now five places to be announced on May 19. As long as a new team still had Ullrich in its ranks, however, then the team would be quite likely reinstated.

In light of the legal complexities which are yet to be solved - despite Ullrich being able to leave Coast, it's unclear with whom the remainder of the team now hold their contracts - an easier and quicker solution for Ullrich might be to move straight to Quick Step. The Belgian team is already assured of a place at the Tour, and has plenty of riders capable of backing up the 1997 Tour winner in a bid to topple Armstrong.

The only downside to such a move is that, according to procycling's sources close to Lefevere, the team would not be prepared to take on Ullrich's whole entourage, although there would quite likely be room for Pevenage.
Last edited by: JohnA: May 15, 03 7:54
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
He only has two choices. Either go inland or go out to sea.
Quote Reply
Re: Ullrich has left Coast... bets on where he's going [bosco] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Apparently all of Coast's team are fair game.

From VeloNews "Following Team Coast's second suspension of the year for financial problems, UCI rules allow riders to negate their existing contracts with the team and become a cycling equivalent of a free agent. "

USPS already picked up Manuel Beltran for the remainder of the 2003 season.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dude (GT) I missed this in your post... non-payment is a "material breach". Without schooling you on the intricacies of contract law, in simple terms Coast pays for Ullrich to ride... those are their respective obligations. If they don't pay, they have committed a material breach of their obligations under the contract. Coast doesn't pay... Ullrich doesn't ride.

So... I think you're wrong... Ullrich is going somewhere.
Quote Reply
Re: Ullrich has left Coast... bets on where he's going [customerjon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I thought I read something about a salary dispute between the Ullrich camp and CSC. Also, I think CSC was reluctant to take on Ullrich and his entourage of handlers.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dude, I mean dude, dude,......

Being late with a partial payment would not necessarily be a breach, although I hate to school you on this.... And it depends on what the contract said concerning any other action that may be a material breach. The first suspension of the team was not a material breach of any rider's contract, and that resulted from......... oh, non-payment of salaries, sorry. So you were wrong in that regard. Of course if you wish to school me on other "intricacies of contract law," please try again.

The big issue was how the UCI was going to deal with it- they are pretty much the judge and jury on this one. I did not think they were going rule this quick, since they spent months deciding upon Gonzales' contract(s). According to Cyclingnews.com, they have ruled Coast in material breach due to the "latest" non-payment. I think the want this over quickly, to avoid a black eye for the sport. Last word from Dahm is that he had his lawyers looking over the riders contracts, so this may not yet be over. But yes, Ullrich may certainly be going somewhere- but aren't we all? This is a very unique situation to have happen at this time of the year, with a very big rider. Kelme went through some similar difficulties, but was able to work through it.

I certainly hope Ullrich will be riding the tour for somebody, although I doubt he will be a challenger this soon into his comeback. I could be wrong here, also.

It may rain tomorrow, and I may be wrong there! Sometimes that happens.

---------------

--BikeSnobNYC
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Looks like Sabre was spot on:

http://www.cyclingnews.com/...003/may03/may16news1

The earlier post about Ullrich not going to CSC made a good point... so where else. Things are getting a little interesting in the cycling world.

Quote Reply
yup Coast is Toast [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
[reply]Looks like Sabre was spot on:

[url "http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/?id=2003/may03/may16news1"]http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/?id=2003/may03/may16news1[/url]

The earlier post about Ullrich not going to CSC made a good point... so where else. Things are getting a little interesting in the cycling world.[/reply]

And USPS Team picked up a good climber out of it all

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"on your Left"
Quote Reply

Prev Next