Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
USAT Aquabike Survey
Quote | Reply
If your have time and interest, please take this survey.

https://usatriathlon.az1.qualtrics.com/...m/SV_8AGeikk747myosZ
Quote Reply
Re: USAT Aquabike Survey [Tri-Bum] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just took the survey. FWIW I think Aquabike would be an excellent testing ground for a "category" system as opposed to age groups.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A key is can they get Aquabike into Worlds so folks could be on TeamUSA for it.

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Re: USAT Aquabike Survey [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Agree Dave. They have the perfect opportunity with the 2016 Worlds at OKC. Maybe a provisional to test interest.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tri-Bum wrote:
Agree Dave. They have the perfect opportunity with the 2016 Worlds at OKC. Maybe a provisional to test interest.

I agree.

What is nice about the AB is the RD really does not have to change anything. You swim, bike and run through the finish.

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
usat - how about some focus and push on aquathlons?
Quote Reply
Re: USAT Aquabike Survey [synthetic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
synthetic wrote:

Has USAT every pushed them? I have raced them at all the world events I have gone to.
Many love them because you do not have to hassle with a bike.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
h2ofun wrote:
synthetic wrote:

Has USAT every pushed them? I have raced them at all the world events I have gone to.

yes you would think its more popular.... but it seems aquabike is more popuplar since many injured or older athletes can 'compete'
Quote Reply
Re: USAT Aquabike Survey [synthetic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
synthetic wrote:
h2ofun wrote:
synthetic wrote:

yes you would think its more popular.... but it seems aquabike is more popuplar since many injured or older athletes can 'compete'

IMO, it comes down to time. Aquathlons are so short. I am amazed at folks going to worlds with the costs for a 30 minute race.

Most folks cannot run, vs cannot bike.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is actually part of my problem with Aquabike. I like to race AB because of knee/back injury and thus I don't like running. In prime running fitness a couple years ago I ran a sub 6:30 mile, however yesterday's 10k was 1:15:55. My body is breaking down. I can't compete in triathlon and AB is my only shot at a long distance future in multisport.

When I get off the bike in AB, I have pushed myself to the limit that day, whatever it might be. I am typically quite off balance and having to rack my bike, run out of transition, and down the finishing shoot is exactly what I do NOT want to do.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
why are there no choices on the survey to say that you don't think aquabike is a good idea. it seems like most people who do aquabike are either hurt or not fast in traditional triathlon. why should a sport that has basically nobody who is healthy and fast have a world championship?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
h2ofun wrote:
synthetic wrote:
h2ofun wrote:
synthetic wrote:

IMO, it comes down to time. Aquathlons are so short. I am amazed at folks going to worlds with the costs for a 30 minute race.

Most folks cannot run, vs cannot bike.

There are even more people who can't swim. Using that logic, you might as well just have a bike ride. Bring them all out, give them ''National Champs'' tee shirts and medals and everyone goes home happy.

Aquathon on the other hand is hard. You don't get that nice bike ride in the middle. It's the perfect travel race. Leave the bike at home and just go race. I know ST is all about the bike, but Olympic distance swim/run races would make the perfect travel races.

---------------------------
''Sweeney - you can both crush your AG *and* cruise in dead last!! đŸ˜‚ '' Murphy's Law
Quote Reply
Re: USAT Aquabike Survey [mag900] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Is your goal just to rain on other people's parades? If you don't like AB, don't compete. Why do you care so much?

Personally, I have a bad knee and bad back. I'm 28. If I want to keep competing, it means moving to AB only in about 2-3 years. Even now I pick my races very carefully. I walk almost all hills. I'm trying not to be a lazy ass, get to a point where I actually can hold my own against some REALLY fast people (how does 1:31 sound for an Oly AB time?), and have fun with my friends/teammates.

It would be great if I got good enough to qualify for a WC event. People would come support me in that and it would feel great. Quit being a jerk.
Quote Reply
Re: USAT Aquabike Survey [soobrex1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
soobrex1 wrote:
Is your goal just to rain on other people's parades? If you don't like AB, don't compete. Why do you care so much?

Personally, I have a bad knee and bad back. I'm 28. If I want to keep competing, it means moving to AB only in about 2-3 years. Even now I pick my races very carefully. I walk almost all hills. I'm trying not to be a lazy ass, get to a point where I actually can hold my own against some REALLY fast people (how does 1:31 sound for an Oly AB time?), and have fun with my friends/teammates.

It would be great if I got good enough to qualify for a WC event. People would come support me in that and it would feel great. Quit being a jerk.

um, no. the original poster posted a link for a survey about aquabike and i thought it was a bit presumptuous that it assumed anyone completing it like aquabike. if you think writing a 2 line post qualifies as caring about aquabike "so much" i don't really know what to say.

1:31 for an oly AB "sounds" like a 1:20 AB or a 2:00 AB. i don't care.

you sound like you are exhibit A for why there shouldn't be aquabikes -- you are hurt, can't race triathlons well and now are looking for some other form of easy self-validation that isn't competitive.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You don't care about aquabike but plenty of others do. I am exhibit A for why there are aquabikes. I can run. I don't like to. I can't be competitive when running is involved and it's not worth further injury with having to train and race to run. That 1:31 aquabike which means nothing to you was a 1:30/100yd swim and 22.6mph bike. That's not slacking. The bike would have been 11th overall on the day.

It's a survey. It's voluntary. If you're going to be negative, why bother filling out the survey? Their goal is to figure out if there is enough interest, not if there is enough disinterest.

Your assumption that I am looking for "easy self-validation" is also incorrect. Why am I not allowed to have aspirations? Should I just sit on the couch for the rest of my life because I'm injured in one discipline? Your argument stems from ignorance.

If you say you don't care, then actually don't care and step out of the discussion.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
soobrex1 wrote:
You don't care about aquabike but plenty of others do. I am exhibit A for why there are aquabikes. I can run. I don't like to. I can't be competitive when running is involved and it's not worth further injury with having to train and race to run. That 1:31 aquabike which means nothing to you was a 1:30/100yd swim and 22.6mph bike. That's not slacking. The bike would have been 11th overall on the day.

It's a survey. It's voluntary. If you're going to be negative, why bother filling out the survey? Their goal is to figure out if there is enough interest, not if there is enough disinterest.

Your assumption that I am looking for "easy self-validation" is also incorrect. Why am I not allowed to have aspirations? Should I just sit on the couch for the rest of my life because I'm injured in one discipline? Your argument stems from ignorance.

If you say you don't care, then actually don't care and step out of the discussion.

yawn. who spouts off race times and bike speeds with no context? is 22.6mph supposed to impress everyone on here?

yes, the point of the survey, as you correctly pointed out, is to see if there is enough interest. it might fly right right over your head but you cannot properly do that if you only ask for input from people who are interested. there just might be a tad of self selection bias going on there. just a tad.

yes, you are exhibit A for why there are aquabikes as you seem to think that your only options in life are (1) to sit on the couch or (2) to push for some joke of a sport that caters to people who can't compete in the main sport. if you dig a little deeper, you just might find that there are some other options in life for you. good luck in "racing" aquabike races against the few other noncompetitive triathletes who deign to "compete" in this highly competitive sport. i hope getting a little ribbon for placing in these races makes you feel better.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My point is that they are not laboring along at 15mph taking up space on the course. It is not meant to impress everyone or anyone and is merely a qualifier. Based on your statements, should everyone who can't go pro quit the sport? There are plenty of other things I can do but that doesn't mean I enjoy them as much as I do this one.

USAT isn't going to tailor a survey about aquabiking to people who are going to say aquabike shouldn't be allowed. You are not the target market, get over yourself.

Your disdain for aquabike is kind of comical. What do you think about athletes with disabilities? Should they be turned down from their sport of choice, whatever it is, because they can't do it on their own and need special equipment or help from guides? What do you think about aquathons or duathlons? Do you have the same apparent disgust for them?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
soobrex1 wrote:
My point is that they are not laboring along at 15mph taking up space on the course. It is not meant to impress everyone or anyone and is merely a qualifier. Based on your statements, should everyone who can't go pro quit the sport? There are plenty of other things I can do but that doesn't mean I enjoy them as much as I do this one.

USAT isn't going to tailor a survey about aquabiking to people who are going to say aquabike shouldn't be allowed. You are not the target market, get over yourself.

Your disdain for aquabike is kind of comical. What do you think about athletes with disabilities? Should they be turned down from their sport of choice, whatever it is, because they can't do it on their own and need special equipment or help from guides? What do you think about aquathons or duathlons? Do you have the same apparent disgust for them?

you clearly don't understand the first thing about surveys if you can't comprehend self selection bias. i'm am well over myself too and don't think i am particularly special in being able to see how ridiculously flawed that survey is.

my disdain of aquabike is not comical. your desperate attempt to support a sport that has very little interest (look at the participation rates) just so can get a ribbon and feel good about yourself is what is comical. your outlook on life -- that you have the 2 options of sitting on the couch or "competing" in a silly sport that has very little competition is even more comical. some of us have a broader perspective on life and actually find other things to do with our time than the 2 you seem to be focused on.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
soobrex1 wrote:
This is actually part of my problem with Aquabike. I like to race AB because of knee/back injury and thus I don't like running. In prime running fitness a couple years ago I ran a sub 6:30 mile, however yesterday's 10k was 1:15:55. My body is breaking down. I can't compete in triathlon and AB is my only shot at a long distance future in multisport.

When I get off the bike in AB, I have pushed myself to the limit that day, whatever it might be. I am typically quite off balance and having to rack my bike, run out of transition, and down the finishing shoot is exactly what I do NOT want to do.

So you have one group of folks who say the AB needs a run finish line, just like in any race.

You have some who say you need to be done when you bike is racked in T2.

You have some who say .....

So great question as to what the AB finish should look like?

Maybe I will post in the TeamUSA FB group at https://www.facebook.com/groups/781961558480877/ and get Tim's and others thoughts

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mag900 wrote:
why are there no choices on the survey to say that you don't think aquabike is a good idea. it seems like most people who do aquabike are either hurt or not fast in traditional triathlon. why should a sport that has basically nobody who is healthy and fast have a world championship?

Why is there then Aquathlon WC's? Or duathlon WC's? What is a "traditional Triathlon"?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Your kidding right? So why have a Sprint, Olympic or Half Tri since the sport was created for a Full. Why have a duathlon, why have a aquathlon? People want to compete in a multi-sport event. Obviously you are not sensitive to those who can no longer run or running is not what they like. Just hope you can run forever as many good runners are finding out that they cannot.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey Mag, get lost in your EGO. Obviously you think highly of yourself. I am a World ranked Triathlete and compete in Aquabikes. Go run yourself into oblivion.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I love AquaBike - I am very strong on the bike and I love working on my swim. I am very lucky that in my area (New Jersey) there is growing support for AB at most of our local races and even at NJ STate. I've never understood why it is considered a "lesser" sport than duathlons. But I enjoy competing in stand alone running races, swim meets and dipping my toes in the cycling TT waters here soon. I just love getting out there and competing against whoever shows up that day!

It's a sport that most of us do as a hobby - just enjoy it!

Patti in NJ
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sorry to hear you have to run through the finish line. Most race directors end the Aquabike at the entrance into T2, that is how Nationals ends the race also. They give you the option of walking down the finish area for pics.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Spend your time doing something else than commenting in this thread.
Quote Reply

Prev Next