Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Tubular Tire advise
Quote | Reply
OK, so I'm taking the plunge to tubulars. I just got a Zipp808 tubular and I'll call for a Renn Medeira tubular later. Now for the tires. I don't know anything about them so all advise will be appreciated. I'm staying away from Tufo. I don't know if they are good or bad but I'll let someone else worry about that. Looking at Biketiresdirect I found good prices on Continental Competition which I know is highly rated and also on the Vredestein. I've had great luck with Vredestein's over the past five years so I'd like to stick with them. What do you think of the Vredestein tubulars? Also; any advise on gluing or links to tubular advice if you will. I need the basics starting with how to get the glue on the wheel, do I glue both the wheel and tire. I'm starting from scratch here

Thank you, Jim Sweeney

---------------------------
''Sweeney - you can both crush your AG *and* cruise in dead last!! 😂 '' Murphy's Law
Quote Reply
Re: Tubular Tire advise [Sweeney] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
As for the tires, I dunno much about them. I hear the conti comp are great. I ride conti sprinter on mine. So do the guys at my shop and no problems.

http://www.parktool.com/repair/readhowto.asp?id=101

--
mcoker
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Conti Comps. You'll never have to wonder. They are the best mass-pro tubie out there...and worth the extra $. The only things better are the boutique tires like Dugast...but I suspect you like keeping your body parts rather than cutting them off and selling them to buy those...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just do a search for installing tubular tires. Many, many posts on how to do that very thing. The Zipp website also has a good article.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm still confused on this TUFO thing. I did IM NZ, Nice, IMCA and about 20 other races on them. No issues. Good bike splits.

Seriously, why should I be concerned?

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Re: Tubular Tire advise [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tufo's will make you gay

--
mcoker
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a vredestein that I raced on a few weeks ago along with a vittoria corsa kx. I liked the Vredestein when i was holding it in the shop and comparing it to Vittorias. They looked identical btw. Also currently racing on a hutchinson, Vittoria Corsa CX and Tufo S33 I think.

That being said, I've raced on Tufo tubulars for three years, never had a problem. I posted the fastest bike split or have posted splits that were in the top 3-5 including pro's at several races on tufos.

disclaimer: I was once many, many years ago sponsored by Vittoria. sigh, I miss that deal, $100 for any 10 tubbies they produced.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Last edited by: desert dude: Mar 25, 06 7:29
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
And one hell of a lot easier to mount than those Contis.

You know, I read a lot of posts where people are going to mail order something, and then struggle through an install. Every one of my customers that is new to tubulars gets an install lesson from me. We glue the tires on together. This may be one instance where going to a bike shop (If you have one) might not be a bad idea.

Just my .02

"....No longer easy on the eyes but these wrinkles masterfully dusguise the youthful boy below."~Death Cab for Cutie

http://www.a1cyclery.com
Quote Reply
Re: Tubular Tire advise [Chris Wiggins] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
100% agreed. It's a credit to your store that you go the extra mile.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ha ha ha....

Get ready for a beatdown from the Clincher people here: (what are the odds this turns into a Clinchers vs. Tubular Debate?)

But its not that bad...

You glue both. There's a bunch of posts and information you can google to show you how to put one on.

DO NOT USE TUBASTI GLUE. DO NOT USE ANY WHITE GLUE, unless you are a whizz at this. I followed park tool instructions. Put one layer on the rim, 24 hours. Let it dry. Then did another. Then put one on tacky. I did better on my second tire than my first.

I'm not putting 3 coats on next time.

STRETCH THE TIRE before you do any glueing at all: especially before you mount it onto the glued rim.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"I'm still confused on this TUFO thing"

Me too Tom, but I'm not going to all this trouble only to have doubts that my tires are slow. I was happy with my 404clinchers until I got the hots for a deep front wheel. Now I'm getting two new wheels and new tires and I have to at least think I'll be getting a small improvement in bike performance. I never thought Conti clinchers were all that great, they would wear out just looking at them and flats; I sure had my share.

I did check out the links about tire installation. The one from Park Tools is very thorough. I just wonder about how much glue. Everyone around here seems to go conservative on the glue. Park Tools says to put the glue the rim and tire, let it set up, then add another coat to the tire to help slide it on. I'll leave the 2" space across from the valve and Vwalla it will be on.

Right?

''Sweeney - you can both crush your AG *and* cruise in dead last!! 😂 '' Murphy's Law
Quote Reply
Re: Tubular Tire advise [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I have a vredestein that I raced on a few weeks ago along with a vittoria corsa kx. I liked the Vredestein when i was holding it in the shop and comparing it to Vittorias. They looked identical btw. Also currently racing on a hutchinson, Vittoria Corsa CX and Tufo S33 I think.

That being said, I've raced on Tufo tubulars for three years, never had a problem. I posted the fastest bike split or have posted splits that were in the top 3-5 including pro's at several races on tufos.

disclaimer: I was once many, many years ago sponsored by Vittoria. sigh, I miss that deal, $100 for any 10 tubbies they produced.

Double-D, that's a weak argument (as is Tom's). Throw Tufos on Armstrong's ride, and I bet he's still faster than me. :-) But to be practical in all of this... I'm sure the difference among tires, though relatively large when viewed in isolation, contributes something barely material in the grand scheme of things in a race. But given the obsession here over equipment and trying shave seconds off by using carbon bottles cages, etc., it makes sense that a small point would see lots of heated debate.

I can tell you this. Tufo S22s are rugged beasts. I use them on my CT and they haven't shown even the teensiest bit of wear after probably 50 uses, some at high loads/speeds.

Too f@ckin depressed from various injuries to care about having a signature line.

Sponsored by Blue Shield PPO.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The Contis do wear fast - I am a Vittoria Corsa CX man...Clement Cement thanks.

----------------------------------------------------------

What if the Hokey Pokey is what it is all about?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
According to this article, tufos have as much as 20watts more rolling resistance than other tires.

http://www.rouesartisanales.com/article-1503651.html
Quote Reply
Re: Tubular Tire advise [boothrand] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"Get ready for a beatdown from the Clincher people here'

They can't beat me up. I've got 404clinchers on the bike right now. I tried to give them to Michelle but she won't take them. They are going on my Trek5200 full time.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Check out Veloflex. Hand made in Italy for a price comparable to Continental.
Quote Reply
Re: Tubular Tire advise [hblake] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Is there no respect for the glue tape?? Anything wrong with using it on racing or training wheels?

Ken

Quote | Reply
Thank you, this is the resource I was looking for. As for the credibility of the article, that is a seperate matter. I appreciate the resource.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Re: Tubular Tire advise [ezrahallam] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hmmmm.... Test was conducted at the Continental tire factory..... (as stated in the article).

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
But surprisingly, Conti's only came in #6.
Last edited by: ezrahallam: Mar 25, 06 12:45
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I'm still confused on this TUFO thing. I did IM NZ, Nice, IMCA and about 20 other races on them. No issues. Good bike splits.

Seriously, why should I be concerned?

Tom,

That is just the silliest statement you can make. "Good bike splits"! What the hell does that mean? Compared to what?

"Why should (you) be concerned?" - You would have gone faster with a different tire.

I don't understand why this is so hard to understand. You've got half a dozen tests/experiments from a variety of sources and EVERY SINGLE ONE OF THEM concludes that Tufo's have noticeably higher rolling resistance. There are zero exceptions.

Saying you had a good bike split proves exactly nothing. No one claimed Tufo's would make you fall off the road. Anyone could have a good bike split with them, just like they could have a good bike split without aerobars, aero helmet, or aero wheels. Why aren't your arguing for standard road bikes and box rims then? You could still have a good bike split, but for crying out loud Tom, OBVIOUSLY you could have a BETTER bike split if you had aerobars, an aero helmet, aero wheels, AND didn't use Tufos.

C'mon man, think this through for a moment and come up with a REAL reason to use Tufos.

Price and puncture resistance are the ONLY reasons. Which of course would bring us to the clincher debate since they offer better or similar price, puncture resistance, and better rolling resistance.

----------------------------------
Justin in Austin, get it? :)

Cool races:
- Redman
- Desoto American Triple T
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Conti Comps - now as I how get a deal on them.

I rode Tufo S3 lites for 4 years, loved them. Great tire, handle well and install very easy. Not as good as my Conti Comps though. They are my "spares".

My Veltec rep buddy flats on this tubies all the time...I'll let you figure out what tire. I wouldn't ride them for free.

Don't use tape
Last edited by: Diesel: Mar 25, 06 13:26
Quote Reply
Re: Tubular Tire advise [Kenright] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I use the TUFO tape on all my tubs with zero problems.

In terms of tubulars, in the past I rode Conti Comps, TUFO S3 Lites & now Ritchey WCS. Liked them all, but the WCS's seem to lose air pressure over night.

Paul "Speedy" Gonsalves
http://www.rollingthundercanada.com
RollingThunderCanada

Canadian distributor for HED Cycling, Blue Competition, Akona Biospeed & Aerus Composites

Quote Reply
Re: Tubular Tire advise [Record10Carbon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rec, You've been using these things for a long time. How much glue doyo use?

Quote Reply
Re: Tubular Tire advise [Kenright] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Be careful with the tufo tape on any course with significant amount of curvy (is that a word?) descending. I had to ride the brakes for a short time and the TAPE MELTED. I head a strange rubbing noise from my disc, dismounted, and found chunks of melted tape oozing out.

I don't much get into product debates, but I can honestly say that tape is the one product I will *never* use again.

YMMV.

Phil

Dr. Philip Skiba
Scientific Training for Endurance Athletes now available on Amazon!
Quote Reply

Prev Next