Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Triathlon's biggest fads and frauds [Bandade] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bandade wrote:
Having to have a USAT membership to race! Pointless.

That's not pointless at all.

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon's biggest fads and frauds [stephenj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
stephenj wrote:
Slowman wrote:
Hydrosloth wrote:
A thread for the folks who have been around... a bit. What have been some of the things that ... turned out to be a waste of time or money, ineffective, or just plain silly.

reading the opinions of 11hr ironman racers on the silly, ridiculous, nonsensical habits of 8hr ironman racers?

i love you all! i love us all! just, one thing i've noted in 18 years of running an internet site is how devastatingly smart we all are! and how devastatingly insipid the behavior all those are who are 30 percent faster than we are!

So..........are you saying that CNC cranksets were a good idea then?

Stephen J

are you asking me whether i think every manufacturing idea in history was a good one?

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon's biggest fads and frauds [davejustdave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
davejustdave wrote:
HuffNPuff wrote:
Well, you've got a point there but if news publicity is the standard then Mike Rossi has got to be in the running as well with several articles in the Philly press.

But I give you Kip Litton whose duplicity was unparalleled and earned him this feature article in the New Yorker:

http://www.newyorker.com/...2/08/06/marathon-man

Julie Miller may be the biggest fraud in triathlon, but if we cast our net a little wider to endurance sports in general, I think Kip Litton is the King of Cheaters!

Litton. 'nuff said

I agree

To create a fictitious race, and then to create an entire online presence for that race, including a results sheet, populated with fictitious participants, is a level stratospheres above and beyond the kind of nonsense Mike Rossi was up to after his antics at VIA and the Turkey Trot

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon's biggest fads and frauds [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Anyone mention Ben Hobbs / Therealstarky yet? For biggest fad, obviously.
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon's biggest fads and frauds [synthetic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
synthetic wrote:
Geek_fit wrote:
RandMart wrote:
tallswimmer wrote:
How are we this deep in a thread about frauds and nobody's mentioned the IronCowboy yet?

FWIW, I had Julie Miller at Post #123

Serious question. What is fraudulent about IronCowboy?

He uses an elliptical for the run part of an Ironman.

To add to this thread, compression socks. How many races did Andy Potts lose by seconds when he could have skipped putting on those silly socks?

HAHA. I did not know that.
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon's biggest fads and frauds [NordicSkier] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
NordicSkier wrote:
HuffNPuff wrote:
RandMart wrote:
tallswimmer wrote:
How are we this deep in a thread about frauds and nobody's mentioned the IronCowboy yet?

That was a good call, but Finman, T3 Girl, Amy Stretton, etc. are all in the running too.

Don't forget Lance Armstrong.

Huge fad but not a fraud since everyone else was doping.
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon's biggest fads and frauds [Arch Stanton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Biggest fraud? I'm gonna say "Fill in the blank" "elite" triathlon team...where you pay retail to wear our stuff and promote our brand...provided of course you post on Facebook 19 times each quarter

Most useless product? Beet juice...or perhaps Endurox R4

Most ridiculous service offering? Any coaching service with more than 1 price and attention level...silver, gold, platinum, yada...."$1000 per month with 2 phone calls each day with Coach Justin" (who completed 2 IM races in 12 hours each)

Most stupid mistake almost everyone including me makes and still makes: using sleeved wetsuits in any race over 70 degree water temp

Coach at KonaCoach Multisport
Last edited by: Terra-Man: Sep 6, 17 11:42
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon's biggest fads and frauds [Arch Stanton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Arch Stanton wrote:
NordicSkier wrote:
HuffNPuff wrote:
RandMart wrote:
tallswimmer wrote:

That was a good call, but Finman, T3 Girl, Amy Stretton, etc. are all in the running too.

Don't forget Lance Armstrong.

Huge fad but not a fraud since everyone else was doping.

You must believe in miracles.
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon's biggest fads and frauds [Terra-Man] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Terra-Man wrote:
Biggest fraud? I'm gonna say "Fill in the blank" "elite" triathlon team...where you pay retail to wear our stuff and promote our brand...provided of course you post on Facebook 19 times each quarter

Most ridiculous service offering? Any coaching service with more than 1 price and attention level...silver, gold, platinum, yada...."$1000 per month with 2 phone calls each day with Coach Justin" (who completed 2 IM races in 12 hours each)

Most stupid mistake almost everyone including me makes and still makes: using sleeved wetsuits in any race over 70 degree water temp

Yeah, I fell for that many times, but after burning up in my full in a one barely wetsuit legal IM, I set 70 as my new benchmark. At Penticton last month, I used a sleeveless when the vast majority were wearing fulls...water was about 71 and I felt so much better. A full is not faster when you are getting dehydrated in warm water.
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon's biggest fads and frauds [Hydrosloth] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Did we do Vibram Five Fingers Yet? Or more specifically racing in Vibram Five Fingers?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowtwitch, I'm kidding btw.
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon's biggest fads and frauds [mochidomo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mochidomo wrote:
Slowtwitch, I'm kidding btw.

everything else has been listed, so why not slowtwitch!

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon's biggest fads and frauds [HuffNPuff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
HuffNPuff wrote:
Terra-Man wrote:

Yeah, I fell for that many times, but after burning up in my full in a one barely wetsuit legal IM, I set 70 as my new benchmark. At Penticton last month, I used a sleeveless when the vast majority were wearing fulls...water was about 71 and I felt so much better. A full is not faster when you are getting dehydrated in warm water.

I raced the Cross Tri at Penticton when ITU said the water temperature was 22.2C non-wetsuit swim. I SURVIVED without my wetsuit! So, I'm going to Chattanooga now with a peace of mind.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Carbon

and hey dont hate on Trucker hats ---- you know why trucker hats came back into fashion? Because for a while there, every hat in the 2000s was so low profile it was like a yamaka with a brim on it.

Want: 58cm Cervelo Soloist. PM me if you have one to sell

Vintage Cervelo: A Resource
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon's biggest fads and frauds [Shambolic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Hello Shambolic and All,

That pic is so cool it make me want to go out an buy one ..

(A small piece of sponge rubber in the gap between the top tube and stem would be nice ..... )

Well done!

You could start a fad!

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=xuaza&s=9

Cheers, Neal

+1 mph Faster
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon's biggest fads and frauds [nealhe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
https://www.dimondbikes.com/product/aero-box/

For $140, Dimond will sell you one

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon's biggest fads and frauds [BryanD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hello BryanD and All,

Ouch!

But indicates the visual and aero gap has been noticed .... he said .... attempting to be optimistic .....

Filling that gap is a trend not a fad in my view .... and I will quit here before I put my foot in my mouth.

Cheers, Neal

+1 mph Faster
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon's biggest fads and frauds [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
stephenj wrote:
Slowman wrote:
Hydrosloth wrote:
A thread for the folks who have been around... a bit. What have been some of the things that ... turned out to be a waste of time or money, ineffective, or just plain silly.

reading the opinions of 11hr ironman racers on the silly, ridiculous, nonsensical habits of 8hr ironman racers?

i love you all! i love us all! just, one thing i've noted in 18 years of running an internet site is how devastatingly smart we all are! and how devastatingly insipid the behavior all those are who are 30 percent faster than we are!

Stephen J

are you asking me whether i think every manufacturing idea in history was a good one?

No; more of a statement about the boutique billet Al CNC cranks that were made back in the early - mid 90's that often broke. Even a hack such as myself figured that out pretty fast.

Stephen J

I believe my local reality has been violated.
Quote | Reply
Lol I posted because it seems I'm living with all the fads and now I could be responsible for starting one. Oh the irony. How about looking as cool AF when racking your bike as a fad?

My previous Dimond features under #10 complete with stem/frame spacer.

https://www.trizone.com.au/20161109/10-reasons-why-you-should-buy-a-dimond-bike/
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon's biggest fads and frauds [BryanD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BryanD wrote:
https://www.dimondbikes.com/product/aero-box/

For $140, Dimond will sell you one

They fit the Brilliant not the Marquise. I had one on my old Brilliant.
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon's biggest fads and frauds [Shambolic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Shambolic wrote:
Lol I posted because it seems I'm living with all the fads and now I could be responsible for starting one. Oh the irony. How about looking as cool AF when racking your bike as a fad?

https://www.trizone.com.au/20161109/10-reasons-why-you-should-buy-a-dimond-bike/

Did you just describe yourself "as cool AF?"
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon's biggest fads and frauds [fat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
fat wrote:
Anyone mention Ben Hobbs / Therealstarky yet? For biggest fad, obviously.

He says "fuck" a lot so you know he is cool, yo.
Last edited by: 1poseur1: Sep 6, 17 19:04
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon's biggest fads and frauds [davetallo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
davetallo wrote:
Shambolic wrote:

Did you just describe yourself "as cool AF?"

I quoted myself as looking as cool AF.
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon's biggest fads and frauds [stephenj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
stephenj wrote:
Slowman wrote:
stephenj wrote:
Slowman wrote:
Hydrosloth wrote:

Stephen J

No; more of a statement about the boutique billet Al CNC cranks that were made back in the early - mid 90's that often broke. Even a hack such as myself figured that out pretty fast.

Stephen J

i consider the machined crank era the bike industry's version of the leisure suit era. i was a bike maker right in the center of all of that. there was a way to do it: smack the billet it with a forging press first, and then machine it. unfortunately a lot of crank makers (and pedal spindle makers, etc.) neglected that first part of the process.

not the industry's finest hour.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I remember a training partner receiving titanium bidon cage screws as gift when buying some other bike equipment. We laughed about it but a week later when out riding, I asked her "You put them on your bike, didn't you?" She replied with a sheepish yes.

Some of the revolutionary things promoted in the tri mags of the mid '80s were hilarious, even at the time. The one I wish I had bought were tinted swim goggles that had vents on the side. You would open the vents after the swim to allow airflow on the bike and run, where they doubled as sun glasses. Apparently saved masses of time in transition.

Not sure why they didn't catch on.
Quote Reply

Prev Next