Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Triathlon's biggest fads and frauds [ericmulk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Best watch ever, I started using in the early 90s when I was a runner, then triathlon, and wear it to this day. Not so much looks (which is now probably oudated), but reliability has been the big thing for me. I've used GPS and any other kind of watches for workouts, but keep going back to this one (I now run by feel, using timer, or, if targeting paces, in measured courses with stopwatch, taking splits, etc.). For swimming, I use to wear it at the pool, but I learned from swimmers to take it off and just sit at the side of the pool (if there's no clock, that becomes the clock). Since I started doing that, they seem to last longer, current one is going on 3 years or so.
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon's biggest fads and frauds [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RandMart wrote:

OMG, I had the top ones on my Haro Extreme mountain bike, and the drop-ins on my road bike back in the 90's. Pretty awesome seeing them again :-)

-Eric
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon's biggest fads and frauds [Hydrosloth] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fad - crossing the finish line with your kids, spouse, significant other, dog, cat, etc. Yes, I did it several times, at the encouragement of Ironman (there was a sign up in the athletic village for this in 2001 IMUSA).
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon's biggest fads and frauds [endosch2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree. 10 years we'll look back and laugh at this era of "punk rock triathlon"
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon's biggest fads and frauds [monsrider] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
monsrider wrote:
Di2 gear changing - for those too lazy to move a lever. Doesn't make you go any faster but costs a fortune.

Di2 isn't about saving energy not having to flick a lever.
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon's biggest fads and frauds [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Next thread:

Most ridiculous looking TT bikes.

"The first virtue in a soldier is endurance of fatigue; courage is only the second virtue."
- Napoleon Bonaparte
Last edited by: Don_W: Sep 5, 17 6:54
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon's biggest fads and frauds [Murphy'sLaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Murphy'sLaw wrote:
What's totally overrated and overhyped?
The need for hydration and fueling and recovery stuff for EVERY WORKOUT - no matter how short or easy.

Wtf?? You'll live. And probably be faster since you won't be so fat, and so carb dependent.
I routinely train for 1.5-2hrs plus with literally nothing.

this

Citizen of the world, former drunkard. Resident Traumatic Brain Injury advocate.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dished wheels

"I think I've cracked the code. double letters are cheaters except for perfect squares (a, d, i, p and y). So Leddy isn't a cheater... "
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A bit of insider information here, hopefully I do not ruffle the sponsor and athlete, but I received word that a prominent Canadian Triathlete from Ontario is planning to run a 2:29 at Kona this year. His special weapon - Breathe Right Nasal Strips. Hell, didn't they work for the LAST Canadian to win that little race?

http://www.fitspeek.com the Fraser Valley's fitness, wellness, and endurance sports podcast
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
arguing campy vs. shimano vs. sram - they're all great and will get the job done just fine, just a matter of preference

agree with 1poseur1 on everything except compact cranks, I think they were a game changer

1st and 2nd year races that charge the same or more $$ as well established races while they work out the kinks

Great things never come from comfort zones.
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon's biggest fads and frauds [Richard Blaine] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Richard Blaine wrote:
Murphy'sLaw wrote:

The need for hydration and fueling and recovery stuff for EVERY WORKOUT - no matter how short or easy.

Wtf?? You'll live. And probably be faster since you won't be so fat, and so carb dependent.

this

Q: "What do you eat to train for 90-120 mins after work?"
A: "Lunch"

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon's biggest fads and frauds [dfroelich] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dfroelich wrote:
PRP, prolotherary, chiro, acupuncture, compex.

Yes. And you forgot ultrasound.
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon's biggest fads and frauds [SBRcanuck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Also, I think equipment wise, ceramic bearings are the biggest 'fraud'.
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon's biggest fads and frauds [Murphy'sLaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Murphy'sLaw wrote:

A buddy I follow on Strava - avid but mediocre cyclist - aborted a ride the other morning because he forgot his bottle.
It was 5:40am. And like 55 degrees out.

100% with you here. I don't understand this constant need for hydration and fueling. It's like a triathlete can't get through a short 2500yd swim session without a bottle on deck and stopping to sip after every interval. I sometimes bring a bottle onto the pool deck with me when I have a longer session (because everyone makes me feel like I need to), and invariably NEVER touch it. I never feel the need.

Also agreed on any workout <2hrs doesn't require fueling. Longer than that, sure it's worth starting to work on race nutrition. But let's be real here, under 2hrs there is no earthly reason to be carbing up.

There was the day I forgot a water bottle ahead of a planned 1hr ride in cooler weather. My ride partner was aghast that I would consider going without it. I just shrugged my shoulders and said I would get some water when I got home. Sure on a hot day that is a different story but normally it's common for me to finish a ride with the same amount of water in the bottle that I started with.
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon's biggest fads and frauds [g_lev] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
g_lev wrote:
Murphy'sLaw wrote:

A buddy I follow on Strava - avid but mediocre cyclist - aborted a ride the other morning because he forgot his bottle.
It was 5:40am. And like 55 degrees out.

100% with you here. I don't understand this constant need for hydration and fueling. It's like a triathlete can't get through a short 2500yd swim session without a bottle on deck and stopping to sip after every interval. I sometimes bring a bottle onto the pool deck with me when I have a longer session (because everyone makes me feel like I need to), and invariably NEVER touch it. I never feel the need.

Also agreed on any workout <2hrs doesn't require fueling. Longer than that, sure it's worth starting to work on race nutrition. But let's be real here, under 2hrs there is no earthly reason to be carbing up.

There was the day I forgot a water bottle ahead of a planned 1hr ride in cooler weather. My ride partner was aghast that I would consider going without it. I just shrugged my shoulders and said I would get some water when I got home. Sure on a hot day that is a different story but normally it's common for me to finish a ride with the same amount of water in the bottle that I started with.

I agree with you completely. Anything under 2 hours and water should get you through. Assuming you've eating SOMETHING in the previous few hours. I've never understood bringing hydration to the pool. Do you also stop and drink during the race?!?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I thought he wasn't going to Kona, I must have fallen behind on my reading.
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon's biggest fads and frauds [Don_W] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Looks like the fad is back. Between Diamondbacks Andean and all the beam bikes. I'll be happy when this new old fad passes.
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon's biggest fads and frauds [Geek_fit] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
 Do you also stop and drink during the race?!?

________

And this is why I think that thinking is missing the point. You don't hydrate during workouts just for the workout your in (that's important). It's a totality of hydration that can also set up your workouts the next day and the day after etc. So I'm not saying you need to chug along 3 gus for a 90 min ride, but I think it's foolish for athletes to say they do 2 hours of working out minus any water. But then again, it's what you want to do as an athlete. If you want the most out of your performance, imo you would need to fuel properly throughout training. 2 hours of training with no water or nutrition, cool...good on you. Wouldn't advise it, and I wouldnt say it's not a fad to call that out either.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon's biggest fads and frauds [nealhe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No doubt that the placebo effect is real. But, why then devote yourself to BS products/techniques that are yet unproven (or worse, consistently shown to do nothing)? Instead, find something with actual good evidence for benefit, believe in it...then you get double: placebo and actual effects.
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon's biggest fads and frauds [SBRcanuck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SBRcanuck wrote:
dfroelich wrote:

...and cupping, physiotape.
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon's biggest fads and frauds [B_Doughtie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
B_Doughtie wrote:
Do you also stop and drink during the race?!?

________

And this is why I think that thinking is missing the point. You don't hydrate during workouts just for the workout your in (that's important). It's a totality of hydration that can also set up your workouts the next day and the day after etc. So I'm not saying you need to chug along 3 gus for a 90 min ride, but I think it's foolish for athletes to say they do 2 hours of working out minus any water. But then again, it's what you want to do as an athlete. If you want the most out of your performance, imo you would need to fuel properly throughout training. 2 hours of training with no water or nutrition, cool...good on you. Wouldn't advise it, and I wouldnt say it's not a fad to call that out either.

I said "anything but water" but I was referering to the <2 hour rides.

My comment about "Drinking during the race" was referring to the swim.
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon's biggest fads and frauds [dfroelich] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dfroelich wrote:
SBRcanuck wrote:
dfroelich wrote:

...and cupping, physiotape.

And cold laser, dry needling..
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon's biggest fads and frauds [EndlessH2O] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
EndlessH2O wrote:
Kenny Souza

Neon + mullets

Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon's biggest fads and frauds [gustri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
gustri wrote:
mike s wrote:
Get the practicality of during a race, still looks dumb
Have a scroll here;

http://www.triathlete.com/...gas-contenders_61380

Looking dumb and not racing.

I LOVE oversized trucker hats.

Love that cartoon, but must say I'm on the anti oversized-trucker hat wagon. Nothing against trucker hats in general, but, FFS wear one that doesn't make your head look like a peanut. It reminds me of parents trying to dress like their teenagers in an attempt to look cool.

I wore a leopard print trucker hat that had "BAD GIRL" written across it for a fun sprint race once. Turned out it was super comfortable, so, I kept wearing it out. It got a few laughs here and there.

Long Chile was a silly place.
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon's biggest fads and frauds [BCtriguy1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BCtriguy1 wrote:
I wore a leopard print trucker hat that had "BAD GIRL" written across it for a fun sprint race once. Turned out it was super comfortable, so, I kept wearing it out. It got a few laughs here and there.

That's Punk Rock; in a New York Dolls kinda way

Quote Reply

Prev Next