Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Triathlon's biggest fads and frauds [Old man driving] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Was that ever a fad or just a myth that he got tagged with?

http://www.fitspeek.com the Fraser Valley's fitness, wellness, and endurance sports podcast
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon's biggest fads and frauds [ericmulk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ericmulk wrote:
Slowman wrote:
JasoninHalifax wrote:
For me, on my bike, my riding style, and my local geaography, that's a no.

okay, but what you wrote was, "the upsides weren't enough to overcome the risk of a dropped chain." there are no dropped chains using narrow-wide CRs and a clutch RD. so, if you think it's a fad for a different reason, okay. just, is it possible somebody using the correct equipment, not living in your geography with your body and your riding style on your bike might find it useful? if so, is it possible there's merit to the tech?

For those of us who don't pay much attention to bike gear, but will some day possibly upgrade, can you explain what a "narrow-wide CR" is, and also what a "clutch RD" is??? I could Google but i suspect you could provide a better explain. Are you saying that the 1X set-up pretty much eliminates dropped chains altogether, even on the rear derailleur???

yes, it's just about impossible to drop a chain on a 1x, to the point where if you ride 1x on any kind of bike in any terrain (cross, cobbles, offroad) you can't drop it. here's a 1x bike i just built up. that RD is a clutch RD (keeps the chain slap and vibration to a minimum) and the chain ring has teeth that alternate narrow and wide, and it grips the chain hard.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon's biggest fads and frauds [mike s] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mike s wrote:
Looks like a bunch of crap..Neuropriming..next

Is that the stuff Pete Jacobs does in weight training?
I like Pete. But I remember watching that video when he goes a little crazy before a weight set. I recoiled at wtf was going on
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon's biggest fads and frauds [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
ericmulk wrote:
Slowman wrote:
JasoninHalifax wrote:
For me, on my bike, my riding style, and my local geaography, that's a no.

okay, but what you wrote was, "the upsides weren't enough to overcome the risk of a dropped chain." there are no dropped chains using narrow-wide CRs and a clutch RD. so, if you think it's a fad for a different reason, okay. just, is it possible somebody using the correct equipment, not living in your geography with your body and your riding style on your bike might find it useful? if so, is it possible there's merit to the tech?

For those of us who don't pay much attention to bike gear, but will some day possibly upgrade, can you explain what a "narrow-wide CR" is, and also what a "clutch RD" is??? I could Google but i suspect you could provide a better explain. Are you saying that the 1X set-up pretty much eliminates dropped chains altogether, even on the rear derailleur???

yes, it's just about impossible to drop a chain on a 1x, to the point where if you ride 1x on any kind of bike in any terrain (cross, cobbles, off-road) you can't drop it. here's a 1x bike i just built up. that RD is a clutch RD (keeps the chain slap and vibration to a minimum) and the chain ring has teeth that alternate narrow and wide, and it grips the chain hard.

Thanks very much Dan!!! I appreciate your "humoring me"!!!

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon's biggest fads and frauds [1poseur1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
1poseur1 wrote:
minimalist shoes

maximalist shoes
arm coolers
brain doping
cortisol blocking mouthguard
aero pedals
base salt
Oakley thumps
oval chain rings
aero chain rings
short cranks
power cranks
rotor cranks
compact cranks
oversized derailleur pulleys
beam bikes
most coaches
most bike fitters
total immersion swimming

How out of touch am I riding a Dimond with aero rotor QXL rings, on short 160mm rotor cranks and oversized derailleur pulleys getting off to run in Hoka Clayton shoes. How dudded do I feel now sigh...

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=xuaza&s=9
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon's biggest fads and frauds [DFW_Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DFW_Tri wrote:
Hate to break it to you but hula hoops and yo yos are still going strong!!

Hula Hoops? Yo-yos? What's next, kung fu? Skateboards?

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon's biggest fads and frauds [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
girlfriends....

yea sounds like a great idea until they get mad you train, don't eat out, stray away from booze, are always tired, don't want kids, get mad at long run and ride days, hate you buying expensive gear, don't like your smelly shoes, want to stay out late, always smell of chlorine, always sore.

this will be the biggest fad once men wise up and realize they can pay for love - at about the cost of a new pair of Hoka's
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon's biggest fads and frauds [Shambolic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Shambolic wrote:
1poseur1 wrote:
minimalist shoes

maximalist shoes
arm coolers
brain doping
cortisol blocking mouthguard
aero pedals
base salt
Oakley thumps
oval chain rings
aero chain rings
short cranks
power cranks
rotor cranks
compact cranks
oversized derailleur pulleys
beam bikes
most coaches
most bike fitters
total immersion swimming

How out of touch am I riding a Dimond with aero rotor QXL rings, on short 160mm rotor cranks and oversized derailleur pulleys getting off to run in Hoka Clayton shoes. How dudded do I feel now sigh...

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=xuaza&s=9

Bonus points for a neon paint scheme. You are the Triathlon King. Put a copy of this picture away in a time capsule to be opened in 2040. You will thank me.
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon's biggest fads and frauds [Hydrosloth] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How are we this deep in a thread about frauds and nobody's mentioned the IronCowboy yet?

I wrote this, you should read it:
https://www.slowtwitch.com/...n_Swimming_6700.html
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon's biggest fads and frauds [tallswimmer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tallswimmer wrote:
How are we this deep in a thread about frauds and nobody's mentioned the IronCowboy yet?

FWIW, I had Julie Miller at Post #123

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Biggest fraud?

posts like this...........

"So, what's the water temperature, currently? I'm REALLY hoping for a non-wetsuit swim"
Last edited by: nc452010: Sep 6, 17 7:07
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon's biggest fads and frauds [nc452010] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sleeved swim skins

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon's biggest fads and frauds [mike s] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mike s wrote:
salt sport products, been scientifically debunked for years

Salt products are hardly a fad, and because they actually DO work for many people (for whatever reason) you will see them around for a long, long time regardless of the "science". Your comment reminds me of a section in Macca's book, "I'm Here to Win", when he finally learned how to handle the heat at Kona after he quit listening to the so-called scientists and instead listened to other athletes who had found what worked in practice. I will go further and say that for some people, the scientific suggestions to avoid salt products in hot weather endurance racing goes beyond mere quackery to dangerous medical advice.

That said, the pricing of some salt products does approach fraudulent.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
RandMart wrote:
tallswimmer wrote:

That was a good call, but Finman, T3 Girl, Amy Stretton, etc. are all in the running too.
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon's biggest fads and frauds [HuffNPuff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
HuffNPuff wrote:
RandMart wrote:
tallswimmer wrote:

That was a good call, but Finman, T3 Girl, Amy Stretton, etc. are all in the running too.

To my knowledge, they didn't get features in the New York Times, so that gets Julie on the top of the podium [so to speak]

YMMV

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
carbon fiber seatstays on aluminum bikes
expensive and heavy entry to mid level complete wheelsets
optimization of weight (non rotating) over aero.
anyone ever test out a BMX helmet vs. the first run of aero road helmets?

I really hope jawbreaker sunglasses are a fad...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
HuffNPuff wrote:
RandMart wrote:
tallswimmer wrote:

Don't forget Lance Armstrong.
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon's biggest fads and frauds [NordicSkier] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Coated chain ring teeth and cassettes to reduce friction

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Last edited by: BryanD: Sep 6, 17 8:26
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well, you've got a point there but if news publicity is the standard then Mike Rossi has got to be in the running as well with several articles in the Philly press.

But I give you Kip Litton whose duplicity was unparalleled and earned him this feature article in the New Yorker:

http://www.newyorker.com/...2/08/06/marathon-man

Julie Miller may be the biggest fraud in triathlon, but if we cast our net a little wider to endurance sports in general, I think Kip Litton is the King of Cheaters!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
RandMart wrote:
tallswimmer wrote:

Serious question. What is fraudulent about IronCowboy?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
HuffNPuff wrote:
Well, you've got a point there but if news publicity is the standard then Mike Rossi has got to be in the running as well with several articles in the Philly press.

But I give you Kip Litton whose duplicity was unparalleled and earned him this feature article in the New Yorker:

http://www.newyorker.com/...2/08/06/marathon-man

Julie Miller may be the biggest fraud in triathlon, but if we cast our net a little wider to endurance sports in general, I think Kip Litton is the King of Cheaters!

Litton. 'nuff said
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon's biggest fads and frauds [Geek_fit] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Geek_fit wrote:
RandMart wrote:
tallswimmer wrote:

Serious question. What is fraudulent about IronCowboy?

He uses an elliptical for the run part of an Ironman.

To add to this thread, compression socks. How many races did Andy Potts lose by seconds when he could have skipped putting on those silly socks?
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon's biggest fads and frauds [synthetic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, but he got paid to wear them...probably a lot more than he lost in prize money. I recall when triathlon compression socks first came out (as opposed to medical compression), and I'm pretty sure it was Potts who said he would never use them ... unless the pay was right. Apparently it was.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Having to have a USAT membership to race! Pointless.
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon's biggest fads and frauds [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
Hydrosloth wrote:
A thread for the folks who have been around... a bit. What have been some of the things that ... turned out to be a waste of time or money, ineffective, or just plain silly.

reading the opinions of 11hr ironman racers on the silly, ridiculous, nonsensical habits of 8hr ironman racers?

i love you all! i love us all! just, one thing i've noted in 18 years of running an internet site is how devastatingly smart we all are! and how devastatingly insipid the behavior all those are who are 30 percent faster than we are!

So..........are you saying that CNC cranksets were a good idea then?

..........But they broke in the middle of races.....

Stephen J

I believe my local reality has been violated.

Prev Next