Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: TomA had some WT fun [Tom A.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tom A. wrote:
echappist wrote:
i'm more amazed that he got a CdA of ~0.27 on his road bike. My TT position right now may be ~0.23...

In the "real world" it's actually going to be a bit lower since that value includes the fixture drag :-)

Technically, is this a frontdoor or backdoor brag?
Quote Reply
Re: TomA had some WT fun [Pantelones] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pantelones wrote:
Tom A. wrote:
echappist wrote:
i'm more amazed that he got a CdA of ~0.27 on his road bike. My TT position right now may be ~0.23...

In the "real world" it's actually going to be a bit lower since that value includes the fixture drag :-)

Yes.

http://bikeblather.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well earned brag at that.
Thanks for all of the data and sharing your thoughts.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
what do you reckon your CdA would be if you buried yourself on the tops?

Tom A. wrote:
Pantelones wrote:
Tom A. wrote:
echappist wrote:

Yes.

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Re: TomA had some WT fun [ericM40-44] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ericM40-44 wrote:
what do you reckon your CdA would be if you buried yourself on the tops?

Tom A. wrote:
Pantelones wrote:
Tom A. wrote:
echappist wrote:

Yes.

Dunno...but, based on my experience, it probably would be a bit harder to maintain a "fixed" position and get stable data. As tedious as I think field testing can be, being a "wind tunnel test dummy" is a bit of a drudge as well :-/

Quote Reply
Re: TomA had some WT fun [echappist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
echappist wrote:

And if a lot of ST folks took the time to do some testing they'd find that their triathlete CdA is higher than that...

A lot of triathletes have spent a lot of money to get aero but are still pushing way too much air with the most important component of all, the body...
Quote Reply
Re: TomA had some WT fun [tttiltheend] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tttiltheend wrote:
echappist wrote:

And if a lot of ST folks took the time to do some testing they'd find that their triathlete CdA is higher than that...

A lot of triathletes have spent a lot of money to get aero but are still pushing way too much air with the most important component of all, the body...

Not just age-groupers, but pros too...For example, I witnessed a pro triathlete (one who recently finished fairly high up at Kona) register a CdA higher than that in a wind tunnel not long ago...

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tom A. wrote:
tttiltheend wrote:
echappist wrote:

Not just age-groupers, but pros too...For example, I witnessed a pro triathlete (one who recently finished fairly high up at Kona) register a CdA higher than that in a wind tunnel not long ago...

Which pro was that if you can answer?

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Re: TomA had some WT fun [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thomas Gerlach wrote:
Tom A. wrote:
tttiltheend wrote:
echappist wrote:

I'd rather not say (since it wasn't MY wind tunnel session)...but some of you may be able to figure it out ;-)

edit: Plus it was a few years ago, and this pro is now on different equipment (maybe different position?) and may have a lower CdA now...but, the pro obviously has a huge "engine" since they were a top pro already at that time.

Last edited by: Tom A.: Oct 26, 15 18:04
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tom A. wrote:
Thomas Gerlach wrote:
Tom A. wrote:
tttiltheend wrote:
echappist wrote:

I'd rather not say (since it wasn't MY wind tunnel session)...but some of you may be able to figure it out ;-)

Well there is no way it could be Brent or Tim, they are just too small IMO. I guess it could be Rappstar himself or Hoff but they both look pretty good despite be Jordan being like 6 4 with long legs. I guess I would me be most excited if it was Brent. That would give me some confidence that I need myself need to get to the tunnel.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Re: TomA had some WT fun [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thomas Gerlach wrote:
Tom A. wrote:
Thomas Gerlach wrote:
Tom A. wrote:
tttiltheend wrote:
echappist wrote:

Well there is no way it could be Brent or Tim, they are just too small IMO. I guess it could be Rappstar himself or Hoff but they both look pretty good despite be Jordan being like 6 4 with long legs. I guess I would me be most excited if it was Brent. That would give me some confidence that I need myself need to get to the tunnel.

It wasn't Jordan...and I don't think I said it was necessarily a male ;-)

I'll narrow it down for you slightly...this athlete finished in the top 7 this year.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Interesting results. The pictures of you on the 2 bikes look like you have more reach on the Stinner, which reduces the big wrinkle in the jersey and might narrow elbows. My eyeball wind tunnel makes me think that this favors the Stinner results.

I also can't wait to see your Crr results for the Specialized Turbo 22. Velo just published tests that put it slightly ahead of a GP4000. Maybe we will have a new best all-around tire.
Quote Reply
Re: TomA had some WT fun [grumpier.mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
grumpier.mike wrote:
Interesting results. The pictures of you on the 2 bikes look like you have more reach on the Stinner, which reduces the big wrinkle in the jersey and might narrow elbows. My eyeball wind tunnel makes me think that this favors the Stinner results.

I also can't wait to see your Crr results for the Specialized Turbo 22. Velo just published tests that put it slightly ahead of a GP4000. Maybe we will have a new best all-around tire.

You have a "keen eye" ;-)

The reach to the drops on the Venge was slightly shorter, but it wasn't my bike to go swapping stems on.

It was actually quite interesting how close it was otherwise...we basically just adjusted saddle height.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It would be interesting to see how low your road cda would go with a lower head position. It looks quite high in the pics.... at least for what it could be....potentially..

24 Hour World TT Champs-American record holder
Fat Bike Worlds - Race Director
Insta: chris.s.apex
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That Stinner is a really pretty bike. It kinda reminds me of something Rob English would build. Simple yet elligent.
Quote Reply
Re: TomA had some WT fun [cmscat50] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cmscat50 wrote:
It would be interesting to see how low your road cda would go with a lower head position. It looks quite high in the pics.... at least for what it could be....potentially..

...or, with a skinsuit...or smoother shoes...or, a different helmet? Lots of things to still try out.

Actually, from what I've read, that LG Course helmet actually does fairly good job at that head angle...not so much at lower angles.

BTW, during the testing, I attempted to keep a consistent head position by staring at a particular level on the tunnel intake wind screen. So, that may or may not actually represent the "average" position I hold my head during typical riding.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
grumpier.mike wrote:
That Stinner is a really pretty bike. It kinda reminds me of something Rob English would build.

Thanks, that was our intent. Aaron was great to work with and this was a good project for him to try out some things he might otherwise not have ventured.

grumpier.mike wrote:
Simple yet elligent.

Is that a mash-up of elegant and intelligent? I like that :-)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
grumpier.mike wrote:
That Stinner is a really pretty bike. It kinda reminds me of something Rob English would build. Simple yet elligent.

Here's how it looks in "normal riding-around mode" ;-)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Out of curiosity, can I ask why the GP4000s II tire was not in the result set? Did you use it in the test?

Chris Thornham
Co-Founder And Previous Owner Of FLO Cycling
Quote Reply
Re: TomA had some WT fun [Canadian] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Canadian wrote:
Out of curiosity, can I ask why the GP4000s II tire was not in the result set? Did you use it in the test?

Mostly because of time constraints and not personally having a "fresh" one on hand...plus, especially for the Flo 90, I was more interested in tires I would possibly run in a TT. Personally, it's not going to be a GP4000S...I'm not as "flat averse" as some folks are (especially for a front tire) and with lower yaw angles experienced, low Crr tends to win out...as can be seen here: http://bikeblather.blogspot.com/...sheriff-in-town.html

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey Tom,

Are you going to let us know what tire is faster when you combine aero with Crr? I keep checking your blog for updates ;)

Much appreciated.

/kj

http://kjmcawesome.tumblr.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tom A. wrote:
Canadian wrote:

Mostly because of time constraints and not personally having a "fresh" one on hand...plus, especially for the Flo 90, I was more interested in tires I would possibly run in a TT. Personally, it's not going to be a GP4000S...I'm not as "flat averse" as some folks are (especially for a front tire) and with lower yaw angles experienced, low Crr tends to win out...as can be seen here: http://bikeblather.blogspot.com/...sheriff-in-town.html

Ok thanks for the info. That data is interesting. We need to talk soon.

Chris Thornham
Co-Founder And Previous Owner Of FLO Cycling
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tom, thanks for sharing this information.

If I'm interpreting things correctly, the SS23 may be the fastest / most aero combination. Just curious, do you think the aero gains of a SS20 are enough to offset what is given up in Crr to be a faster front wheel option?
Quote Reply
Re: TomA had some WT fun [kjmcawesome] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
kjmcawesome wrote:
Hey Tom,

Are you going to let us know what tire is faster when you combine aero with Crr? I keep checking your blog for updates ;)

Much appreciated.

It's coming...soon :-)

Quote Reply
Re: TomA had some WT fun [smarty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
smarty wrote:
Tom, thanks for sharing this information.

If I'm interpreting things correctly, the SS23 may be the fastest / most aero combination. Just curious, do you think the aero gains of a SS20 are enough to offset what is given up in Crr to be a faster front wheel option?

Next year I'm contemplating the SS23 for my front and either the Conti Force or one of the Spec Turbos in 24c for the rear.
Quote Reply

Prev Next