Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Things I saw at a women's only sprint
Quote | Reply
A lot of mountain bikes. The fourth or fifth finisher off the bike was on a mountain bike with skinny tires and clip on aero bars.

A lot of road bikes with clip-ons. Not many dedicated tri bikes. The overall winner was on an R2.5 with clip-ons.

An obese women on a P3. She wasn't particularly slow, either.

One lady with her helmet on backwards. First time I've seen that in real life.

A bunch of ladies with ipods. For a sprint. I don't get this.

One lady with unshaved legs. That was odd, especially for a triathlete.

"People think it must be fun to be a super genius, but they don't realize how hard it is to put up with all the idiots in the world."
Quote Reply
Re: Things I saw at a women's only sprint [vitus979] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What is the point of your post? I did a women's only triathlon yesterday and there were lots of tri bikes. Pretty competitive, too.

Bri Gaal
One Step Beyond
http://www.osbmultisport.com
Quote Reply
Re: Things I saw at a women's only sprint [BriBri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What is the point of your post?

Umm. . . No point, really, just making some observations. (But the fat lady on the P3 rocked. Seriously.) I'm very glad that there were a lot of tri bikes at your race.

"People think it must be fun to be a super genius, but they don't realize how hard it is to put up with all the idiots in the world."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Does Vitus ever have a point?
Quote Reply
Post deleted by Administrator [ In reply to ]
Last edited by: LarryCalifornia: Jul 18, 05 12:44
Quote | Reply
c'mon. there's gotta be more to this. tell us what you really saw.

Train hard...race well.
www.jimmishler.com
"Jim, I happen to agree with you" DougStern
Quote Reply
Re: Things I saw at a women's only sprint [Ze Gopha] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Does Vitus ever have a point?

Occassionally.

If one insists on finding a point for discussion in my original post, OK. But it certainly isn't the point that BriBri seems eager to think it is. How about this?

A lot of mountain bikes. The fourth or fifth finisher off the bike was on a mountain bike with skinny tires and clip on aero bars. The point here might be that one does not need an expensive race machine to do well, as this woman stomped most of the field on an ugly old mountain bike. Or not.

A lot of road bikes with clip-ons. Not many dedicated tri bikes. The overall winner was on an R2.5 with clip-ons. The point here might be that, based on my observations yesterday, woman are more practical in their bike purchases than men, choosing more versatile, all-around bikes. Or not.

An obese women on a P3. She wasn't particularly slow, either. The point here might be not to judge a book by its cover. But it isn't. The point here is that I enjoyed seeing the woman ride a nice bike, instead of covering herself up in a tent and riding a cheap Walmart bike because she "doesn't deserve" anything better.

One lady with her helmet on backwards. First time I've seen that in real life. The point here might be that it's pretty funny to see someone ride a bike with their helmet on backwards. Or not.

A bunch of ladies with ipods. For a sprint. I don't get this. The point here might be that I don't understand what the hell anybody needs an ipod for in a sprint distance race, and why the hell they can't bear to be alone in their own head for an hour or two. Or not.

One lady with unshaved legs. That was odd, especially for a triathlete. The point here might be that seeing a female triathlete with unshaven legs represents a double style violation. Or not.

Quote Reply
Re: Things I saw at a women's only sprint [LarryCalifornia] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think you should start this thread on TNO, and include "walked the entire run" on your list.

I get enough hate mail, thank you very much. ;)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
At a recent women's only tri in my area, I was on the bike course at several points... The top 3 women were riding road set-ups. The first place woman averaged something close to 26 mph on a not-really-flat course (but no real sustained climbs). Sure, lots of MTBs, not many full tri set-ups. So what?

---------------------------------------------------------------------
Some are born to move the world to live their fantasies...

https://triomultisport.com/
http://www.mjolnircycles.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
See, I knew you really loved me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
no comments about boobs, butts, things bouncing, etc etc etc. I, for one, think your observations are quite innocent. unless there's something you're not telling us...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"But it certainly isn't the point that BriBri seems eager to think it is."

huh? Okay, sorry I asked since I didn't understand.

Bri Gaal
One Step Beyond
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I liked your thread. I think there should be some "men only" races, as the observations from that kind of race would be hilarious...

"Non est ad astra mollis e terris via." - Seneca | rappstar.com | FB - Rappstar Racing | IG - @jordanrapp
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just did my first ever tri yesterday, and it happened to be women only. It was a great race and I did so much better than I ever expected. And yes, there were lots of women out there who I thought were doing some quirky stuff, but that happens at all races.

Last year I saw a dude who wore jeans (I am not kidding) during the bike portion. He had duct-taped the bottoms. And this was at a very competitive race where it was over 90 degrees. Pretty crazy but he did the whole thing.

I think unfortunately because you are referring to women it can be taken the wrong way. I took it that way originally (for which I am somewhat embarrased) so thank you for your subsequent post.

"It's just mind over matter-as long as you don't mind, it doesn't matter."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
huh?

To clarify, my point is not that the race wasn't competitive (did I mention how Mrs. Vitus' relay team won their division?) or that women aren't competitive, or that women triathletes are all soft and fuzzy and don't know enough to ride a real bike in a race. It was my first time at a women's only race, and it was a little different, is all, and I thought it was interesting. OK?

Quote Reply
Re: Things I saw at a women's only sprint [Rappstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
like the guy who passed me on the run at River City...helmet still strapped on tight...head down...shoulders churning away.

Train hard...race well.
www.jimmishler.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Okay! Great! :)

Bri Gaal
One Step Beyond
Quote Reply
Re: Things I saw at a women's only sprint [Blondie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

That is because you are blonde :)
Last edited by: 5280: Jul 18, 05 13:04
Quote Reply
Re: Things I saw at a women's only sprint [Jim Mishler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Is there, perhaps, a race pic of this??

"Non est ad astra mollis e terris via." - Seneca | rappstar.com | FB - Rappstar Racing | IG - @jordanrapp
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
keep in mind that many womens only races are hoping to draw first timers .. and often gets something like 40+%
Quote Reply
Re: Things I saw at a women's only sprint [5280] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
oh, here we go with the blonde comments. ;)
Quote Reply
Re: Things I saw at a women's only sprint [Blondie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I wouldn't sweat it, gophers prefer blondes.
Quote Reply
Re: Things I saw at a women's only sprint [mm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'd say at the race I did yesterday more than half the field were first timers (and it was over 3,000 people!). And what a great environment it was. It's too bad that not everyone has such a good experience at their first race.
Quote Reply
Re: Things I saw at a women's only sprint [Rappstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
no luck so far but i have been trying

Train hard...race well.
www.jimmishler.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No one has ever accused me of being an optimist with sunshine and roses, so even a cynical bitch (me) can read the original post and understand the (positive) post. Thank you. Got the point and it was interesting.

Or maybe it was those "feel good" martinis at lunch. And I don't know any forum history.

B

"the only normal people are the ones you don't know"
Quote Reply

Prev Next