Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: The proud, the few, The Challenge Penticton page [caveAllen] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
caveAllen wrote:
It was Ironman and the marketing and branding they did that got me off the couch and maybe help save my life.

No, it was YOU who did it.

caveAllen wrote:
Challenge has done nothing for me or the tens of thousands that share my same story.

Neither has WTC.

caveAllen wrote:
I just cant picture myself being a Challenged Athlete (it doesn't even sound good).

Good thing people who do Challenge races don't call themselves that either.

caveAllen wrote:
Final note: If you really cared about the city of Penticton you would boycott the race all together. Last year they lost $377,000 and with what appears as a lower turn out this year they will lose even more. It would help the city if the race was cancelled.

Pure ignorance. The race is being taken over by a private entity next year that is taking on the debt. Cost to Penticton: ZERO. There are over 1000 entrants already for this years race.
Quote Reply
Re: The proud, the few, The Challenge Penticton page [NordicSkier] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
NordicSkier wrote:
caveAllen wrote:
It was Ironman and the marketing and branding they did that got me off the couch and maybe help save my life.

No, it was YOU who did it.

I could not get myself off the couch I needed motivation It was Ironman that gave me the motivation.

Quote:
caveAllen wrote:
Challenge has done nothing for me or the tens of thousands that share my same story.

Neither has WTC.

Disagree, every race I go to I see and hear people share their story about how they were motivated by the Ironman brand.

Quote:
caveAllen wrote:
I just cant picture myself being a Challenged Athlete (it doesn't even sound good).

Good thing people who do Challenge races don't call themselves that either.

That was a Joke I thought it was funny.

Quote:

Quote:
caveAllen wrote:
Final note: If you really cared about the city of Penticton you would boycott the race all together. Last year they lost $377,000 and with what appears as a lower turn out this year they will lose even more. It would help the city if the race was cancelled.

Pure ignorance. The race is being taken over by a private entity next year that is taking on the debt. Cost to Penticton: ZERO. There are over 1000 entrants already for this years race.

I read that they were talking to 2 local guys to take over debt but never heard that someone has written a check. Once someone writes the check I will be sure to retract that comment. That check will be in the 800k range because of incurred debt from this years race on top of last years.
Last edited by: caveAllen: Jul 31, 14 12:12
Quote Reply
Re: The proud, the few, The Challenge Penticton page [caveAllen] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If Ironman went bankrupt tomorrow and had no more races, would you lose motivation and gain weight again?
Have you ever done a non mdot triathlon? If so, why?
Quote Reply
Re: The proud, the few, The Challenge Penticton page [NordicSkier] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
NordicSkier wrote:
If Ironman went bankrupt tomorrow and had no more races, would you lose motivation and gain weight again?
Have you ever done a non mdot triathlon? If so, why?

Thats a good question and I dont know the answer. I am schedualed for 2 Ironman races this year and 2 next year. So I know I will be safe until Sept of 2015 :).

I have raced many non Ironman branded races all half or less. Rev 3 and local events. I have raced 12 Ironman 70.3 races as well. All the non Ironman events have been local races that no vacation time is needed.

The reason for doing those races was training for the fulls. Only one you can even try to compare was the Rev 3 but it was kind of a joke however a good training race.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:

I just looked at the site and it shows less than 300 signed up for the Full. Not sure how you got to 1000. The Penticton course is a Full Ironman distance. The add on races are just fluff. People say they want to race Penticton and sign up for the Half. Now how is that racing Penticton. They have gone from 3000 with Ironman to 300 with Chanllenge, Holy cow I didn't know it was this bad. 300 people stretched over 112 miles now that is a lonely experience.
Last edited by: caveAllen: Jul 31, 14 13:15
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So can I put you down as a "maybe" for Dogtown at noon on Friday the 22nd?

http://www.fitspeek.com the Fraser Valley's fitness, wellness, and endurance sports podcast
Quote Reply
Re: The proud, the few, The Challenge Penticton page [Hydrosloth] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am not sure what Dogtown is but you can put me down as a no because I will be in Kentucky for IRONMAN LOUISVILLE.
Quote Reply
Re: The proud, the few, The Challenge Penticton page [motoguy128] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
its only open 2-3 weeks for americans. canadians use them for the other 10-weeks.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
caveAllen wrote:
Quote:

I just looked at the site and it shows less than 300 signed up for the Full. Not sure how you got to 1000. The Penticton course is a Full Ironman distance. The add on races are just fluff. People say they want to race Penticton and sign up for the Half. Now how is that racing Penticton. They have gone from 3000 with Ironman to 300 with Chanllenge, Holy cow I didn't know it was this bad. 300 people stretched over 112 miles now that is a lonely experience.

You are so blinded by Ironman marketing hype I can't help you.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
hence the title of the thread (alas)

http://www.fitspeek.com the Fraser Valley's fitness, wellness, and endurance sports podcast
Quote Reply
Re: The proud, the few, The Challenge Penticton page [Hydrosloth] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Very positive news for the event today in that the province just announced the race society will receive $125,000 in a 'gaming grant' under the sport category this year.

I'm not in for the race... yet. May do the half depending on how things go over the next month (newborn at home, raced Calgary this weekend, racing Apple the week before).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
caveAllen wrote:
... 300 people stretched over 112 miles now that is a lonely experience.

Sounds like a more honest race to me. It's not supposed to be a parade.
Last edited by: OneGoodLeg: Jul 31, 14 16:43
Quote Reply
Re: The proud, the few, The Challenge Penticton page [WaySub4] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
$125,000 government grant to a race that used to be run at a cost less than that sum by a private firm that gave charity funds back into town + 3 times the size economic impact than current

Not smart tax dollar math to me.

$377,000 loss + $125,000 grant + this years losses (say $100,000) is an even $600,000.

I'm a taxpayer here. It's arithmetic,

I will be volunteering. Those racing deserve our continued support this year.

@rhyspencer
Quote Reply
Re: The proud, the few, The Challenge Penticton page [rhys] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rhys wrote:
$125,000 government grant to a race that used to be run at a cost less than that sum by a private firm that gave charity funds back into town + 3 times the size economic impact than current

$377,000 loss + $125,000 grant + this years losses (say $100,000) is an even $600,000.

I'm a taxpayer here. It's arithmetic,

I will be volunteering. Those racing deserve our continued support this year.

Rhys, i recalculated your math and called a friend for help and then show my daughter my math for approval...i m pretty sure you forgot a 2000$ in this post. Can i have it please?

I hope challenge Penticton succeed and i hope the big germany company decide to get behind penticton instead of not doing much but washing there hands of the situation....

Jonathan Caron / Professional Coach / ironman champions / age group world champions
Jonnyo Coaching
Instargram
Quote Reply
Re: The proud, the few, The Challenge Penticton page [jonnyo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If I'm at swim tomorrow I owe you $14!

@rhyspencer
Quote Reply
Re: The proud, the few, The Challenge Penticton page [WaySub4] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
WaySub4 wrote:
I'm not in for the race... yet. May do the half depending on how things go over the next month (newborn at home, raced Calgary this weekend, racing Apple the week before).

I think Aug 3 is the final day to register.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
rhys wrote:

I'm a taxpayer here. It's arithmetic

Uhh... the $125k reduces the debt. Should be a negative sign.

The addition of the half distance this year should do a lot to move the race into profit... I hope!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes... I said positive news for the event, did not say the taxpayer:-)

If the date to register does in fact cut off Aug 3rd as mentioned, then I too will be volunteering as it's highly unlikely I'll be ready to commit by then.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
caveAllen wrote:
I weighed over 360 lbs (Only reason I don't know my exact weight is because scale pegged out at 360) and was sitting on the couch watching the IRONMAN World Championship. I watched a father pull his son in a raft for 2.4 miles, then ride with him on the front of his bike for 112 miles and then push him for 26.2 miles. I got up off the couch looked at myself in the mirror and said enough is enough. 2 years later I went up to Penticton volunteered and signed up for the next year. I was so overwhelmed with what I witnessed there that it kept me going for the whole year. I completed my first Ironman race IMC in 2009. On race day I weighed in at 200lbs.

So what does that story have to do with Penticton. For me everything. In 2012 I was getting in my truck to drive up to Penticton to volunteer again and sign up for the 2013 race. My buddy texted me and said "No Ironman 2013 in Penticton". I turned my truck around and started reading the news reports. I raced Ironman Canada in Whistler in 2013. It was Ironman and the marketing and branding they did that got me off the couch and maybe help save my life. Challenge has done nothing for me or the tens of thousands that share my same story. For us Ironman is not just a brand it is what pulled us out of a very dark place. I have now completed 8 Ironman races avg time is 12:15 so you can see I am not the fastest but I am the one smiling all 11 to 12 hours. I want to thank the WTC for letting me roll into towns across the country and providing a consistent race experience.

Now for the comparison:

Whister vs Penticton as a venue: Hands down Whistler wins.
Whister vs Penticton as a race course: Penticton is a better course
Whister vs Penticton for spectators: Whistler wins I saw my family 3 times on the bike and 2 times on the run. Penticton only saw them after transition.
Whister vs Penticton for food: Whistler Wins no comparison
Whister vs Penticton as a hospitality: Whistler wins not even close
Whister vs Penticton for cost: Whistler is 50% less expensive than Penticton
Whister vs Penticton local business: Whistler was laid back Penticton was trying to get every penny out of every athlete. (accept the Bike Barn those guys there were truly incredible and fair)

If Ironman branded both races on the same day I would race Penticton. Only because it was my first race and I would love to do it again.

I get it if you are a natural born triathlete and don't need motivation to keep you going than Ironman has limited value and all of us non athletes are just in your way. I get it. But, for us average joes who need that extra inspiration IRONMAN is ticket. I just cant picture myself being a Challenged Athlete (it doesn't even sound good).

I just wanted to say congrats to the part of your post in bold. I am excited to be part of the same peer group of multiple time IM finishers. We do them all for our own reason, but your reason is pretty awesome.

Coming back to the topic on the thread, i truly hope that Penticton can get this working well with Challenge or someone else.
Quote Reply
Re: The proud, the few, The Challenge Penticton page [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was in Whistler in summer a few years ago. Disneyland for grown ups from what I remember.

Banff. Sure, there's no swimming, let alone an iron distance race, but far out, what a wicked cool real place. I've been there several times since 1972 and it's just wicked awesome. Too bad no IM or Challenge race there. :-)

TriDork

"Happiness is a myth. All you can hope for is to get laid once in a while, drunk once in a while and to eat chocolate every day"
Quote Reply
Re: The proud, the few, The Challenge Penticton page [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
Coming back to the topic on the thread, i truly hope that Penticton can get this working well with Challenge or someone else.

I think your disingenuous.

Race it again if you want it to succeed.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
NordicSkier wrote:
devashish_paul wrote:

I think your disingenuous.

Race it again if you want it to succeed.

No, i'm done with Penticton because i have already given that town 6 of my vacations involving putting my family on cross Canada flights and vacation day. There are other places in the world I want to spend money at and also use my legs at. I don't need to race Penticton to want them to succeed. I don't have to put any more money into one place that I have spent more than my fair share at.

Cjbruin was right a long time ago on this thread....somewhere, in Canada, a keyboard blew up. Why do you need to tell others what they should do? We're not forcing you into anything. Live and let live.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
NordicSkier wrote:
rhys wrote:

I'm a taxpayer here. It's arithmetic

Uhh... the $125k reduces the debt. Should be a negative sign.

The addition of the half distance this year should do a lot to move the race into profit... I hope!

Hey there Mr Happy....while my math might be Rob Ford-esque (can't believe I typed that but hey, it's ST to cause a stir) my angle is my TAX $ at work not Challenge's 2014 race budget.

I will state it a different way. I am pissed off my provincial parliament member who was mayor and lead to kick WTC out in 2012 has now used provincial funds to subsidize the losses realized by that decision.

Again, I'm volunteering & look forward to supporting the athletes & welcoming them with open arms and big Okanagan sun and wine. I just do not endorse the politics.

@rhyspencer
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Rob Ford probably doesn't understand the difference between gaming funds and taxes either.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My husband and I are both doing the half distance this year. Last year we did the full distance as a relay. We have both lived in Penticton for pretty much our entire lives. So yeah, we're pretty much as local as they come. Did the financial hit of losing Ironman suck? Yes. But we want the event and our community to bounce back. So we are supporting Challenge and will continue to support it.
Quote Reply

Prev Next