Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
The new pop "under" ain't working for me.
Quote | Reply
What the . . . ? I thought it was only going to pop under when I left Slowtwitchia. It's popped under for me four times in the past couple of minutes. Dan?

"People think it must be fun to be a super genius, but they don't realize how hard it is to put up with all the idiots in the world."
Quote Reply
Re: The new pop "under" ain't working for me. [vitus979] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Seems to pop up every time you click "main index".

----
Don't hold back
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
firefox is all i got to say bros.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
On a Mac. No pop-under here.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
agree...this blows dan!
Quote Reply
Re: The new pop "under" ain't working for me. [centermiddy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ok I got it... for some reason I had the forum page set to allow popups. IE blocker is working for me now.

Here is how you enable it if you don't know... http://support.microsoft.com/...scid=kb;en-us;843016

----
Don't hold back
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I might have to try firefox. I can't turn on my pop-up blocker because I need it disabled for other applications.

This is more annoying than I thought it was going to be.

"People think it must be fun to be a super genius, but they don't realize how hard it is to put up with all the idiots in the world."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You can configure it to allow on some sites and block on others...take a look at that link. (You can also disable that bar at the top too and put a small link on your status bar at the bottom instead).
  • Tools --> Popup Blocker --> Popup Blocker settings --> Turn On
  • Make sure forum.slowtwitch.com isn't in the allow list.
  • Uncheck show information bar when popup is blocked. (a tiny icon will show up at the bottom status bar when blocked rather than that large information bar at the top) If you right click that tiny icon you get the same menu as the information bar to temporarily allow, add to allow list etc.

If you do this you shouldn't even notice it.

----
Don't hold back
Last edited by: jtaylor1024: Mar 31, 06 21:21
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just feel this is not positive for Amex, but maybe that's just me.
Quote Reply
Re: The new pop "under" ain't working for me. [Paulo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would like to agree with you, but the existence of telemarketers undermines the argument. I'm sure we have our share of knuckleheads in here who'll go Amex because "they support triathlon," or some such.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well, they support Slowman, that's a start ;-)
Quote Reply
Re: The new pop "under" ain't working for me. [jtaylor1024] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You can configure it to allow on some sites and block on others

I didn't know that, thanks for the tip. Seems to have done the trick.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Firefox AND on a Mac. No issues...

=====================================
"Yeah you point a finger back far enough and some germ gets blamed for splitting in two."

Colonel Saul Tigh from Battlestar Galactica
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I take it back. This is still freaking annoying. I get that stupid "pop-up blocked" message every time I go back into the main room, and I can't click on people's hyperlinks anymore.

Dan, make it stop!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dude you are freaking out. There are only three steps listed above for 0 impact.
  • Uncheck the "show information bar" in your blocker settings and it won't show the bar. It will just show a tiny icon at the bottom right of your status bar (near the word internet at the bottom of the window).
  • You should still be able to click links.

----
Don't hold back
Last edited by: jtaylor1024: Mar 31, 06 22:01
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not cool at all.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Holy Crap, I couldn't stop myself and just signed up for an Amex card. That'll teach me for logging on to ST after my Friday night beers.

"And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country" JFK - Replace 'country' with the company you work for, friends, family, and strangers and the world will be a much better place.
Last edited by: diamonddog: Mar 31, 06 23:34
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah, this mother is poppin like crazy. Thankfully I have a blocker. The counter is incrementing like crazy. Certainly not just when I leave Slowtwitch.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Does anyone know if he still gets cash or whatever for people with pop-up blockers? I'm not sure how it works, but I'd guess there's something that loads "last" on the pop-up, and for every request of whatever that is, dan gets like $0.01 or something.

I've always wondered how pop-up blockers and addons for firefox like "adblock" impact the $$ people get for ads & pop-ups.

--
mcoker
Quote Reply
Re: The new pop "under" ain't working for me. [jedi_tri_guy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Norton and PC, no issues either.

"How bad can it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
this pop up is bullshit. clearly not as advertised yesterday. Someone didn't communicate properly with you slowman.

----------------------------------------------------
Striving to have sex more than 66 times per year
Quote Reply
Post deleted by GeeForces [ In reply to ]
Re: The new pop "under" ain't working for me. [GeeForces] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It looks like Dan stopped the ad...?

=====================================
"Yeah you point a finger back far enough and some germ gets blamed for splitting in two."

Colonel Saul Tigh from Battlestar Galactica
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
as i wrote, i have an ad rep who sells this space. i explained to him that if this AmEx ad generates more pop ups per session than one, then it must be pulled immediately, that is, it must be tested when made live, and then immediately pulled if what you report actually happens.

i *think* that is what happened, because i don't see the ad up there. if anyone does see the ad, please report it to me and i'll make sure the ad doesn't run.

you'll understand my concern about this. it has to be ONLY once per session, because these ads get served numerous times per visit.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: The new pop "under" ain't working for me. [GeeForces] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You can configure it to allow on some sites and block on others...take a look at that link. (You can also disable that bar at the top too and put a small link on your status bar at the bottom instead).
  • Tools --> Popup Blocker --> Popup Blocker settings --> Turn On
  • Make sure forum.slowtwitch.com isn't in the allow list.
  • Uncheck show information bar when popup is blocked. (a tiny icon will show up at the bottom status bar when blocked rather than that large information bar at the top) If you right click that tiny icon you get the same menu as the information bar to temporarily allow, add to allow list etc.

If you do this you shouldn't even notice it.

If you enable your popup blocker and you can't click links then you have your popup blocker set to "high". If you set it to "medium" then links that YOU click resulting in a popup window (e.g., ST links) will work.
  1. Open Internet Explorer.
  2. On the Tools menu, point to Pop-up Blocker, and then click Pop-up Blocker Settings.
  3. Select the Medium setting in the box near the bottom of the dialog box.

If you want to see pop-ups that are blocked when you have this setting turned on High, hold down the CTRL key while clicking the link.

----
Don't hold back
Last edited by: jtaylor1024: Apr 1, 06 6:27
Quote Reply

Prev Next