Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
The new golf: cycling in Silicon Valley
Quote | Reply
http://www.nytimes.com/...pitches-of-tech.html?

When I read this, my first thought was "more of the old boy network." Private golf clubs used to have explicit exclusionary policies, and now we have implicit exclusionary policies (don't use Strava? Can't keep up? Don't have the "right" equipment? Sorry!).

----------------------------------
"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Re: The new golf: cycling in Silicon Valley [klehner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
klehner wrote:
http://www.nytimes.com/2016/08/26/business/dealbook/cycling-matches-the-pace-and-pitches-of-tech.html?

When I read this, my first thought was "more of the old boy network." Private golf clubs used to have explicit exclusionary policies, and now we have implicit exclusionary policies (don't use Strava? Can't keep up? Don't have the "right" equipment? Sorry!).

I'm sure there is some "good old boy network to it" but he at least one guy says he may suggest coffee if the person may be inexperienced even if he does creepily stalk their strava and can't be bothered to go slow. Hope he doesn't look at my strava rides because they're all indoors.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The woman in the picture has on a pretty serious helmet!
Quote Reply
Re: The new golf: cycling in Silicon Valley [Tri Slow Poke] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tri Slow Poke wrote:

I never knew Strava-branded clothing was a thing, either.

"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Loads of people train in Evades.

29 years and counting
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
She's got the legs, and she probably knows how to use them.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
klehner wrote:
Tri Slow Poke wrote:

According to the article, the group in that picture are part of a VC firm that started up Strava, so not too surprising that half of them have some sort of Strava branded attire..
Last edited by: wbattaile: Aug 25, 16 7:57
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
klehner wrote:
http://www.nytimes.com/2016/08/26/business/dealbook/cycling-matches-the-pace-and-pitches-of-tech.html?

It sounds like you might be a member of the victimization community.
Quote Reply
Re: The new golf: cycling in Silicon Valley [TriTamp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TriTamp wrote:
klehner wrote:

I'm sure there is some "good old boy network to it" but he at least one guy says he may suggest coffee if the person may be inexperienced even if he does creepily stalk their strava and can't be bothered to go slow. Hope he doesn't look at my strava rides because they're all indoors.

Sounds like this guy has people wanting to ride with him all the time, for the primary purpose of asking for money. I don't blame him for vetting them so he at least gets a decent ride while he listens to their pitch.

Personal story- I once had a guy that I worked with talk himself up as a cyclist, and wanted to ride with me. We finally did, and it was pretty awful. To be clear, I'm more than happy to take a leisurely ride with someone. However, when you talk a big game and i'm expecting a good workout, then we ride 10mph with frequent rest breaks, it's just not good.
Quote Reply
Re: The new golf: cycling in Silicon Valley [Jason80134] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jason80134 wrote:
klehner wrote:

You certainly pegged me correctly, as a 58-year old white programmer who graduated from Cornell.

"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
klehner wrote:
Jason80134 wrote:
klehner wrote:

You certainly pegged me correctly, as a 58-year old white programmer who graduated from Cornell.

So you're the white guy at a blacklivesmatter rally?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
From the article;

''does a quick search on Strava to get a read on the person’s experience. “If I think it will be painfully slow,” he said, “I suggest we go for coffee.”''

Does anyone who is ''painfully slow'' post their results on Stava?

---------------------------
''Sweeney - you can both crush your AG *and* cruise in dead last!! 😂 '' Murphy's Law
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"In the spring, he participated in the Bottega Gran Fondo, a cycling and culinary event in Napa Valley. He has organized several group rides with cycling celebrities, including the former professionals Gary Fisher and Bob Roll, who is best known for his Tour de France commentary."

In Tyler Hamilton's book he commented on this type of thing and how much he disliked doing it. He felt is was insulting and presumptuous of the corporate executive types to be riding with the pros.--they haven't earned the right, etc. I'm not sure how I feel about that, one way or the other. I guess I could see both sides.
Quote Reply
Re: The new golf: cycling in Silicon Valley [Sweeney] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sweeney wrote:
From the article;

''does a quick search on Strava to get a read on the person’s experience. “If I think it will be painfully slow,” he said, “I suggest we go for coffee.”''

They do if they have things autosynced between different accounts like garmin, strava, trainerroad. Even though I'm not painfully slow but certainly if somebody looked at my strava data for all of my indoor trainerroad rides it would look like I was painfully slow because with interval work there are all the recovery sections that drag the mph down. Not to mention indoor mph don't translate to outdoor mph
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I personally never initiate career talk on the bike. I don't have anything necessarily to pitch, but I can imagine the start up culture of SF is a real bore where it seems like everyone has a world changing idea. One of the things I like about cycling is the minimalism. You don't need to say much and a good paceline works without a lot hand holding. I talk about work often enough when I'm at work, thank you.
Quote Reply
Re: The new golf: cycling in Silicon Valley [Sweeney] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sweeney wrote:
From the article;

Sure! I started cycling at ~300lbs without having exercised in years. My early rides were slower paced than my 5ks in HS CC. I thought I would enjoy looking at how I improved, month to month. And I did!

Slow people enjoy data too.
Quote Reply
Re: The new golf: cycling in Silicon Valley [wbattaile] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
.[/quote]

Sounds like this guy has people wanting to ride with him all the time, for the primary purpose of asking for money. I don't blame him for vetting them so he at least gets a decent ride while he listens to their pitch.

Personal story- I once had a guy that I worked with talk himself up as a cyclist, and wanted to ride with me. We finally did, and it was pretty awful. To be clear, I'm more than happy to take a leisurely ride with someone. However, when you talk a big game and i'm expecting a good workout, then we ride 10mph with frequent rest breaks, it's just not good.[/quote]
I remember once when a friend of a friend showed up to a group ride with an old-school ten speed with basic platform pedals! "He told me he biked a lot and was fast!"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sounds like pretty dumb training to me. If you'd love to stew in mediocrity, sure, go ahead and ride hard the whole time. I'd be more impressed if their egos got out of the way of their own fitness.

36 kona qualifiers 2006-'23 - 3 Kona Podiums - 4 OA IM AG wins - 5 IM AG wins - 18 70.3 AG wins
I ka nana no a 'ike -- by observing, one learns | Kulia i ka nu'u -- strive for excellence
Garmin Glycogen Use App | Garmin Fat Use App
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:

I don't think it is anymore. You used to be able to unlock shirts or jerseys if you completed challenges. It looks like they shut all that down and their online store.

"I think I've cracked the code. double letters are cheaters except for perfect squares (a, d, i, p and y). So Leddy isn't a cheater... "
Quote Reply
Re: The new golf: cycling in Silicon Valley [wbattaile] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
wbattaile wrote:
TriTamp wrote:
klehner wrote:

Personal story- I once had a guy that I worked with talk himself up as a cyclist, and wanted to ride with me. We finally did, and it was pretty awful. To be clear, I'm more than happy to take a leisurely ride with someone. However, when you talk a big game and i'm expecting a good workout, then we ride 10mph with frequent rest breaks, it's just not good.

The nice thing about vetting a startup idea during a bike ride is the party making the pitch has to have their elevator pitch super sharp to win over the person handing out the money!

As for business during bike rides in Silicon Valley, definitely the way to go.
Quote Reply
Re: The new golf: cycling in Silicon Valley [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rumor has it that Erlich Bachman throws down a mean 40k TT and is a punchy county line sprinter.

Pied Piper is really going to go places if he can get in on these rides.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This being ST, I can't believe noone has posted a link to his Strava yet. (Don't think it's against the rules, is it?) It looks like he rides about 7h/wk and his Old La Honda time is 20:40, which is at least respectable.
Quote Reply
Re: The new golf: cycling in Silicon Valley [Jason80134] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jason80134 wrote:
klehner wrote:

I like your style.

"In the world I see you are stalking elk through the damp canyon forests around the ruins of Rockefeller Center. You'll wear leather clothes that will last you the rest of your life. You'll climb the wrist-thick kudzu vines that wrap the Sears Towers. And when you look down, you'll see tiny figures pounding corn, laying stripes of venison on the empty car pool lane of some abandoned superhighway." T Durden
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
They are all riders, not racers. Except Sami Inkinen who has done a number of tris, including going 9:25 in Kona.

http://www.samiinkinen.com/

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Re: The new golf: cycling in Silicon Valley [ironclm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ironclm wrote:
They are all riders, not racers. Except Sami Inkinen who has done a number of tris, including going 9:25 in Kona.

http://www.samiinkinen.com/

Did I call them something else?

"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply

Prev Next